Taking the next step: Turntable upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mikey679, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Have you considered upgrading to a Technics SL-1200? It's basically the table that the AT-PL120 you already own is modeled after (at least cosmetically), but is of substantially better build quality and performance quality. The Technics is a much quieter, smoother table... so much so that you'll notice a significant quality jump without any modifications. Over time, you can perform modifications, if you wish...add fluid dampening, re-wire the tone arm, disable the strobe, add 78rpm speed, etc. But those modifications are not strictly necessary to enjoy the SL-1200. I use what is essentially a "stock" 1200 and I love it. Someday I'll probably modify it, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

Good used Technics SL-1200s can be found on eBay in the $300-$450 price range. I would recommend finding a table that has been used for home listening only. They will usually have a lot less wear to them than the tables used for DJ work.

2. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That seems to be the biggest issue with the Technics, only the used ones of course, that you have to be positive it's only been used for home listening. I wouldn't want to pick up a beat up, dj table, but I really do like the styling of the 1200's. That's what really got me interested in the PL120, I liked the styling of it, and it got some decent reviews as well. If I could find a 1200 in nice condition for the right price, I'd strongly consider it.

3. jackieboy

jackieboy Forum Resident

Mikey, I Upgraded about 6 weeks ago. I used a Music Hall 5 for about 4 years. I bought a VPI Classic on audiogon new sealed in the box for 2k. The seller even deliverd it from NY to Philadelphia. I bought a HO Benz Micro Ace from Elusive Disc. Probably the best purchase of my life. A few years ago I never would have dreamed spending so much on a turntable. But I couldnt be happier. I'm into my vinyl so much now it's bordering on a problem hehe.

So If you can, try to upgrade as far as you can. I extended moneywise as far as I could and it has worked out great. I can't imagine a day that I would want to upgrade this. It seems like a lot less money now considering the enjoyment it has already provided me and the many more years it will be a workhorse for me. Even though it is a precision instrument it is truley built like a sherman tank. 50 lbs. I think CA concept weighs 18 lbs. Not implying that equates to sound jst saying no one is gonna walk off with the Classic with one hand.

I cant speak of a lot of other tables but I think the Music Hall 5 is around $800 and if that is the average kind of table 800 gets you I say forget it. You will be looking to upgrade eventually. try to get your final table. If the Clear Audio at 1.5k is that kinda table I dont know.

So check out audiogon on whatever table you get a fix on. It was my first purchase on there and it really seems like the place to get your table. I think its safe. They have a great past history rating system like ebay. And pay with paypal or a credit card so you are protected.

As far as set up yes its tricky. But only if you try to set the asmuith and the tracking together. I was pulling my hair out, then I decided to set the tracking, put a little mark on the arm then set the azmuith and go back to my mark for the tracking.

So good luck on whatever table you buy. Research, listen, ask questions and take your time. :wave:

4. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great advice, Jackie. I'm definitely taking my time, I know I can always save up more if there's something I really like. I'll look into the VPI's. I know they are up there price wise but if it's a really good investment, then I have no problem dropping the money, it's just having the money to begin with! This is why I'm asking here, because from lurking around the board, there's a lot of great music fans here and people certainly will give you an honest opinion on what they think is good equipment. I appreciate all the advice and suggestions that everyone has contributed thus far.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Bill,

This is easily solved with Peter Ledermann's CounterIntuitive azimuth device.

http://www.sound-smith.com/intuitive/index.html

6. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

I have refurbished several turntables including several thorens 124s, several thorens 150s, an AR, a Empire, a Rekocut. With several stock, rega, and other arms. I currently have a well tempered, a tricked out Thorens 124 and a VPI Classic. The VPI is the best table for the money by far. I experienced no problems with set up. I plan to get an azimuth set up device of some sort in the near future. It will be interesting to see how my eyeball and by ear settings test out.

7. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident

I know this thread is well over a year old, but I was pondering on the lines of perhaps upgrading to a better turntable myself for not only needledrops, but to have something more high quality to play my vinyl on from time to time.

Currently have the AT-PL120 (non-USB) which is a great starter table and biggest bonus is having the 78RPM playback with the 440MLa cart.

I know there are many different tables with different price points, but I was thinking of looking at the Technics 1200 which would be considered the AT's 'mature brother'.

Don't have a set budget right now as I am currently saving $$ to build a new computer workstation so no rush at this time. But would like to look into or check out some nice tables that would be a decent upgrade from the 120. My youngest brother recently had an interest in vinyl (he directly told me that it was because of me that he has an interest in it now) :D

8. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I think VPI has run off a lot of business from people who like the basic engineering of the table but are not fans of unipivots. I feel that way myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.