Suede (a.k.a. London Suede) 2 CD/1 DVD reissues on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I picked up the first 2 from Amazon UK for 18 bucks a pop. Not bad for 2 cd/1 dvd sets. When you sign in to Amazon UK it will recognize your account.

2. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

Cool, thanks.

Order placed for the first 3 Suede Deluxes, along with the new Kinks Deluxe reissues and Donovan "Sunshine Superman" stereo as well.

And I'm surprised what a bargain this turned out to be!

3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Got my bundle set today, I was really surprised as I opened the envelope in post-office.

First I thought if only could have even one cd with autographs, so as I took them one by one out I noticed that every single one was signed.

I can post pics if you want.

:goodie:

4. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Would love to see 'em!

Picked up Dog Man Star in local Newbury Comics store. Way more than I wanted to pay, but wanted to try one of these new sets out.

So hard to read the booklet! White on green brutal on the eyes.

When I ripped this to my iPod, I realized I had the old CD on too, so compared them. On headphones, I must admit to finding the new version hard on the ears - compared with the old, the new one is almost painfully sharp sounding - like having razor blades in your ears!

5. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Also did a comparison between the original Dog Man Star and the new remaster and yikes:shake: ,the remaster is a disaster, just terrible, it's a real shame because beside the sound quality this reissue is pretty much perfect, what i'll do is put my old nude cd in the the new box set and listen to that.

6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

[​IMG]

Thats pic of my set, sorry for the bad quality and also some of the signatures from first couple albums arent fully visible on the pic.

7. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I must say that I am done with these reissues.

I've just listened to Head Music.
    While the packaging is wonderful and the bonus songs and the DVD are truly GREAT, it is the mastering that s-u-c-k-s. I just can repeat myself: Why are they doing that? It could have been one of the greatest reissue projects this year but IMHO they totally screwed it up by worsening the SQ to a nearly unlistenable degree.

Missed opportunity.
    I'm just glad I didn't spend much for that. I'm keeping my old CDs.

8. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Looks great, SammyJoe! Makes having that set special. :edthumbs:

Must admit though, given the sound of Dog Man Star, I'm not sure I'm going to bother to pick any more of these up. Paying for something that sounds worse than my old CDs isn't very appealing to be honest.

9. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

10. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

Anyone have problems with crushed and creased spines? Likely to have happened due to inadequate packaging for shipping from the UK, and also a poor design issue, IMO.

I try not to be anal, but every time I see these mangled spines on my shelf I know it will really bug me. I haven't opened them yet until I figure out what I want to do about this.

11. Django

Django Forum Resident

Two or mine were slightly creased.

I'm still uncertain whether to get a new morning. I listened to some of it recently and thought it was a bit washy. He voice sounds shot.

12. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Mine are all creased. I think its a design issue.

btw, they showed some of Suede's Latitude festival performance live on Sky Arts last night. They sounded excellent. Sadly the only tunes broadcast were from Coming Up. I would've liked to have seen more from other albums too but the band are definitely on top form.

13. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

The spines on mine were crushed as well. They were sent in a flimsy cardboard mailer. Annoyed me at first, but I decided to let it go since nothing else was damaged.

14. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

When I bought Dog Man Star from the Newbury Comics chain, they had one of each of the remasters. Dog Man Star was the only one that didn't have a creased spine. Buying these by mail will be a real crapshoot.

15. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

Funnily enough Dog Man Star was the only one of mine that wasn't creased...

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just checked mine, and all of them are actually in pretty good condition. The Debut and A New Morning had slight grease but nothing remarkable.

17. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

Yeah, I guess I will have to live with the creases.

Over 15 years later all I can say is...

Whoa! Dog Man Star is such an awesome album. Went right over my head the few times I listened when I was younger. An essential classic.

18. frogsborne

frogsborne Forum Resident

Want 2 buy the first, two but can't decide on the deluxe editions or original releases. Sound quality is important, so I'm leaning towards the originals

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Get both, the original for the sound and the deluxe for the vast amount of bonus material.

Dog Man Star is IMO one of the greatest albums of the 90s, if not longer. Having 2 copies for this album is fine ( I hate to think how many copies some people here have of albums like Aja and Dark Side Of The Moon)

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any tourdates on the horizon? At Coachella they said they were hoping to come back to the states in October.

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

one question, the bonus disc that content the bsides, are DESTROYED too? I mean are "remaster" or the bsides are just reissues? from the singles?

i have my original "nude records" first album pressings on cds, but I want the singles, so if the singles are not destroyed like the album, maybe it worth buy, any help? thanks

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I respond myself, POOR :(

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well if you want the singles get the "Sci-Fi-Lullabies" compilation from 1997. Of course there ARE some tracks missing ("Painted People", "Dolly", "This World Needs A Father", "Asda Town", "Sam", "Digging A Hole", "Eno Introduces The Band") but the bulk of them are here. And you can get these cheap from Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Sci-Fi-Lullab...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325077014&sr=8-1-fkmr0

As for the BIG omission on this: "Stay Together". Well... guess what: "Used from 0.01".

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  24. corduroy

corduroy Forum Resident

That remastered waveform really looks horrible. I know waveforms don't tell the whole story so it may not sound as bad as it looks, but it's not exactly aspiring my confidence in these reissues. Those 90s Nude CDs were hardly sonic masterpieces; surely these remasters can't sound worse. And if they do, it pretty much misses the whole point of Suede's reissue campaign.

25. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I love the bonus discs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.