Suede (a.k.a. London Suede) 2 CD/1 DVD reissues on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

Glad you liked the review.

The sound is clearly fairly loud, but in general I think Edsel have done a good job on these reissues. 2CD+DVD is a great deluxe combo and we have more or less been given everything we might have hoped for.

I especially like the relaxed interview with Anderson and Butler at the end of the DVDs for the first two albums.

Butler in particular is quite funny and pertinent with his comments.

2. KevinW

KevinW Forum Resident

I was really hoping for an improved sound, since that was my only gripe with the original albums. But redeyedandblue's comments on the SQ really spoiled them for me, so I guess I'll pass... Such a shame, since the extras are plenty and the price is decent ...

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I can't comment on sound as I don't have my gear listed, but I will tell you that these are a great bargain and that wave forms are not always indicitive of of how something will sound to you. We all hear things differently.

4. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

Agreed, despite my criticism of the sound quality earlier.

If you're outside the EU (and so can knock off 20% VAT), these are a steal at under £8.

5. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Threw caution to the wind and bought these this morning. Cost $35 bucks. Hope I don't regret it.....

6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

You won't. Worth it for the bonus tracks and DVD's. Personally, I like the sound.

7. manicpopthrill

Glad to hear something positive. I'm not too hard to impress, so I'll probably like them just fine. Just need to hurry up and get my new receiver ordered. :cheers:

8. corduroy

corduroy Forum Resident

The Coming Up deluxe is soon approaching...love those b-sides like Young Men and This Time!

9. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Yikes! i ordered the first three reissues for $16.50 each from Amazon UK

10. manicpopthrill

That's what I paid for mine also. The $35 I quoted was for both the S/T and DMS.

11. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

The 4-track demo of Losing Myself (New Generation) can be downloaded on iTunes. It's the only digital bonus track from these reissues (for the moment :winkgrin:)

12. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

I just spent half the day driving across MA looking for a copy of the S/T. I understand that Britpop isn't popular in the US for the most part but jeez. I tried 5 different shops before I found a store that actually had a listing for Suede. I finally stopped by a small indie record shop and they had copies of the original albums but not the remasters. No one I asked knew who Suede was.

Wasn't the s/t the fastest selling album in British history when it was released? Funny how fast these guys faded into near obscurity while trash like Oasis is lapped up.

13. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

I've been really enjoying the Coming Up set, particularly disc 2.

I really think Suede have to be the greatest B-Sides band of all time.

Great DVD too. The interview is very funny.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is a whole list of superb British bands who are, it seems, not very well known in the US.

From a brit perspective I think Suede lost some fans when Butler left. Although they still had hits like Trash (which is probably their most well known song in the UK).

Generally speaking if you had taste back then you liked Suede, Blur and Pulp. Oasis were considered a bit dumb and not very good, although their first album was ok as a sort of breath of fresh air.

But very quickly Oasis got adopted by the sort of people who go to football matches and get pissed in pubs (I guess what you would call Jocks in the US), I think due the dumbnest of their music and lack of all subtlety.

The same happened in the 80's with U2 - they were huge with people with poor taste, while much better bands struggled.

15. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I don't know about fastest in history or not, but I worked in a proper UK "alt" indie music store (although my personal rock taste was more 70s/60s) when Suede emerged and there was indeed a MASSIVE momentum behind their first EP/album, they'd already gained quite a reputation in the months before the EP. We sold a TON of it very fast.

Interesting your trouble finding them in MA. Ironically here in London this week at the high profile HMV Piccadilly, Suede reissues are featured prominently when you enter the store, but the McCartney reissues from this week are not featured at all, they've just tucked a few in the artist section, so although their career nosedived years ago I guess Suede are still more popular than Macca's solo work!?

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

How long do the interviews last?
    Are they more in depth kind or just normal (indefinite) go through of album?

Do the interviews have any subtitles, I would really like to he English-subtitles atleast since theres always some words or sentences spoken that are not too easy to hear.
    Dont get me wrong, I understand english very well, but some people dont speak so clearly..

17. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

I think Suede was the FASTEST selling debut in British chart history unitil Oasis' first album.

The interviews are about 20 mins long, very informal, loose and quite funny. They mainly talk about how the songs were recorded and written. Recorded on what looks like a camcorder.

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, thanks for clearing this matter.
    Cant wait to get hold of the bundle-set...:)

19. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

No subtitles :shake:

20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

simple and focus question:

sound better ?
    the same?
    or poor?

than original issues...

21. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

Spoken like someone who never gave either band much of a chance once they got too popular.

As someone who owns every album of the five groups you mentioned above, and can find something to enjoy in each one, I hope most people are able to divorce themselves from the hype, or what someone has deemed to be music for people with taste, and just judge the music.

It's also sort of ironic that Suede and Blur are being offered up as two of a kind in terms of taste, when those two bands loathed each other both as bands and as people.

22. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

OK, OK, convinced.
    Head Music is on the way. Ordered it from bang for 11.68 EUR.

23. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

I'm old enough to remember when Suede first hit the states, and they got a lot of promotion on modern rock radio (Live 105 in SF), on MTV shows like 120 Minutes, and in the alternative press.

They were hyped as the next big thing coming from Britain, but grunge was already breaking big in the US at the time, which took modern rock radio and TV in a whole different direction (permanently for the worse, IMO), and Suede were forgotten rather quickly.

I saw them perform at Slims in San Francisco on their first US tour, which is a relatively small venue. Not sure if they ever came back again. I followed along for their first couple albums, but gradually lost interest after Butler left, and by the late 90s was hardly listening to rock or pop music at all anymore.

Seems like these deluxe editions are worth getting for the bonus tracks alone, but I already have the "Sci-Fi Lullabies" 2 disc from back in the day so I'm still a bit undecided.

24. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

OK, despite my reservations about the sound and some overlap with what I have in my collection already, I decided to get the first three anyway - mainly for the DVD's.

Thanks for the reviews and links in this thread.

Is Amazon UK the best option for a US customer, or does the shipping cost negate the value? Can I use my existing Amazon account, or do I need to create a new one?

Sorry for the lame questions, I've never ordered anything from overseas before.

25. Rated-R-Ron

Rated-R-Ron Forum Resident

Yes, you can use your existing Amazon account.
    Shipping to the US is not that expensive, and sometimes even with with shipping charges you can save yourself quite a bit of $ over domestic price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.