Suede (a.k.a. London Suede) 2 CD/1 DVD reissues on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Looks like the price for Coming Up, Head Music and A New Morning is £11.99 at Amazon UK.

2. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Did they ever tour Dog Man Star with Bernard? He left halfway through the recording of the album right?

3. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Not halfway, but at the 11th hour, I understand. Despite co-writing the song, he doesn't play on 'The Power' - I don't know if it's ever been named who did, though apparently they closely followed his instrumental demo which completed after his departure.

Richard Oakes was recruited immediately prior to the album's release and appears in all the promo videos, none of which are included on the Dog Man Star reissue, an anomaly of these reissues - Stay Together, featuring Bernard, is there on it's own. All the post-Bernard b-sides from DMS era have been moved to disc 1 of the Coming Up reissue. I wonder why!

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The compilation "The Best of Suede", which came out in 2010, may be a clue as to what these reissues will sound like.

But in the previous threads that covered the compilation and these upcoming deluxe sets, no one has yet commented on how the compilation sounds.

5. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member Thread Starter

OK, I've got my preorder in. However, I'm curious about the bonus disc on DMS though: If the full-length "Asphalt World" is included (the rumored 20+ minute version), along with "Eno's Introducing The Band" which runs at a little over 15 minutes and the 9 minute full length of "Stay Together" - plus the other tracks - it would make for what looks to be a very long disc. I wonder if these longer tracks will appear as edits, despite claims to the contrary.

6. Colin Allstations

You'd think then that Eno's Introducing The Band would be the first to go then. Hmmmm.

I've only listened to the full-length Stay Together a few times and always preferred the edit.

7. sf74

sf74 Active Member

i pre-ordered the first three together and then the last two together. since Amazon won't ship each CD as they're released, i didn't want to wait another 2 weeks to have all the CDs shipped together.

since i pretty much have all of the b-sides, my real interest is the DVD content. i'm really excited to have Love & Poison on DVD. it's one of my favorite concert videos. i have the Japanese laser disc but i haven't watch it in years.

i really wish the band would at least play one other date in the US before/after Coachella.

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Most of these originally had lp issues in the UK which did sound better than the first cds as far as I can recall but it's good that the bands catalog is coming back out again.

9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I never heard New Morning. Is it worth checking out? Head Music was a huge letdown after Coming Up.

10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'd forgotten about that film. Somewhere I have a copy on VHS but havent seen it in years. Will be fantastic to finally have a copy on DVD.

11. Almost Simon

A New Morning isn't as good as Coming Up but is definitely as good as Head Music.

Beautiful Loser, Astrogirl, Untitled, Lost in TV. All good tunes.

Not sure I can sell it to you if you don't like Head Music. I do, I think that album has plenty to go for it. Same with A New Morning. Maybe go for it cheap online rather than springing straight for the new deluxe edition.

12. Colin Allstations

I think A New Morning is extremely bland - not something that could have been said about Suede in the past - and it's all-round failure was absolutely a good enough reason to throw in the towel. Head Music I believed to be very underrated, though was badly marred by three howlers in the form of the title track, Elephant Man and Savoir Faire.

13. Almost Simon

Brett Anderson was a guest yesterday on BBC6 Radio’s Radcliffe and Maconie show. He was interviewed and two tunes from the upcoming Suede remasters were played on air. ‘Just A Girl’ which is an acoustic demo by Brett and Justine Frischmann from 1990 and also the original 7 minute version of ‘The Wild Ones.'

Well worth a listen, here’s the link on the BBC Iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0100rq7/Radcliffe_and_Maconie_With_Brett_Anderson_from_Suede/

The Brett interview starts at 1:15 and runs until 1.57. The demo of Just A Girl is played at 1:41 and The Wild Ones at 1:47.

I’m really looking forward to these remasters now.

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I only have the couple first albums on cd at the moment and would probably want to get the rest maybe later on, so ultimately I would have best set if I get all the remasters? Right?

So these new remasters make Sci-Fi Lullabies-compilation unnecessary?
    I remember when that compilation was released and it seemed so cool and ever since it has been on my "have to buy someday"-list.

15. Almost Simon

In regard to Sci-Fi, I think pretty much every track will be on the remasters,

The first disc of that collection is superb, possibly the best Suede album imo. They were a great B-side band.

16. bjohnsen74

bjohnsen74 Forum Resident

I bought the compilation and unfortunately that was heavily compressed.. Somewhat more than the regular albums. So I'm not too optimistic about these remasters. But I will buy them all for the extra contents, holy crap that was some major serious tracklistings! This is the way reissues should be done.

The comp CD last year wasn't "Oasis brickwalled", there were some more dynamics, but the wav's definitely looked more brick-like than the regular releases which were compressed to begin with in the 90's.

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

It was many years ago when I borrowed the set from local library, it really felt like the best Suede collection. On another thought, I might even buy it to myself and then later on take the rest albums if feel like it.

I havent paid too much attention to the band anyways, so it was really great to hear those b-sides...too bad most people only have preferred or heard the songs/singles that were played on radio/MTV as the b-sides give such a different and richer approach to the band.

I have to confess that even I dont know too much about the band as there were so many good ones I listened back in the day.

18. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Great B sides....Love em all...

19. Almost Simon

If you do have access to the Iplayer I would strongly recommend listening to the extended version of The Wild Ones. Weird how they wanted it to be in its original form. And in the end they cut the instrumental ending and simply looped the first chorus and repeated to fade.

I mean, thats my fave Suede tune but I really like this new 'original version.'

Even though I love the pop sound of 'Coming Up' I do wonder how the band might've progressed had Bernard Butler stayed with the band.

20. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The set they payed at Coachella was far better than I could ever expect and was done as a 4 piece due to a bass player visa issue. One of my favourtie sets form the weekend.

Only US show they done in 14 years. Apparently plans for more later this year.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

24. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I might pick a couple of these up. I'm not very hopeful that these will sound better than the original releases. I think a lot of the bad sonics on those albums are due more to production than mastering.

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I ordered the full set...got only the first couple cd:s at the moment, but for such a good price and for such amount of material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.