Suede (a.k.a. London Suede) 2 CD/1 DVD reissues on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member Thread Starter

Reissues of Suede's studio albums are finally on the way. The good news is that these look extremely definitive, way more than I would have ever expected. Hopefully the DVDs will be region free but these are still must-haves for me.

The tracklistings are too extensive to post here, so I'll just toss the link out here: http://www.suede.co.uk/band/

:goodie:

2. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Would love to get the deluxe Dog Man Star. I wonder if the DVDs will be available in the NTSC format.

3. sf74

sf74 Active Member

I'll definitely be getting the reissues for the first 3 albums. I'm on the fence on the last two as I'm wasn't too keen on them the first time around.

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Lets hope they calm down the compression that was used on some of the original releases.

5. imrichard

imrichard Forum Resident

It was a general brit pop trend to overcompress a mix.
    I also really hope the remastered debut album will be less harsh than the original.

6. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Now these are some comprehensive reissues - the DVDs seem particularly generous, including Love And Poison for the first time on that format. I was impressed to see they left off the main Introducing The Band feature of the Dog Man Star DVD, in favour of Bernard Butler-era live footage.

7. sf74

sf74 Active Member

I'm kind of surprised they didn't include "Wonderful, Sometimes" and the Be My God/Art single for the first album reissue. Maybe they don't own the rights to those recordings?

I'm really happy to see the piano version of The Living Dead included on Dog Man Star. I actually like that version better than the acoustic guitar version.

8. ZAK_B

ZAK_B Member

Looking forward to hearing the unedited "The Asphalt World"

9. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Seriously thinking about springing for these. I have a ton of their stuff already, but if they're offering a substantial amount of unreleased material it will be hard to resist.

10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I think i'll go for all 5. I have love for the later period, although not so good both albums have much to offer.

Very impressed with the tracklistings. I remember these were promised several years back so nice to finally see them.

I'm one of those who went out to many a record fair to hunt down the various b-sides on secondhand cd singles. Nice to finally have everything in one place.

And seeing as i'm missing out on the upcoming reuinion concerts where they're playing the first 3 albums in full, I hope they'll continue and release some new material next year.

Great band :righton:

11. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll likely go for all 5 as well, although knowing the details on the DVD will help decide.(NTSC, region-free pretty please!)

12. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

These look great, but I wouldn't hold out hope for NTSC dvd content..Suede never was concerned about the USA market..

13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I'm pretty pessimistic about the sonics. I'm yet to hear a decent sounding brit pop CD.

George P likes this.
  14. jfortun

jfortun Senior Member

Unfortunately I see no mention of LPs. The original CDs sound pretty bad, but that didn't stop me from copious amount of listening.

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Wow, those tracklistings are what a deluxe edition should be.

I'll pick up the first two albums for sure.

16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I did not know that. I guess they are what they are. I don't believe they would alter the original spirit of how they were mastered.

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

You (of all people!) don't like Coming Up???:yikes:

18. Colin Allstations

As long as these sound at least as good as the originals then I'll be happy enough.

I've never heard Be My God/Art. They seem to have written it out of history. Am I missing anything? I always wanted to hear their early song, 'The Labrador In You', as it sounds hilarious.

19. Colin Allstations

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Is there anything there in terms of bonus stuff that is not on Ski-Fi Lullabies?

21. Colin Allstations

The original 'Trash' b-side version of 'Europe Is Our Playground', which I understand was rerecorded or altered in some way for that compilation, has been included on the 'Coming Up' bonus disc instead. 'Sci-Fi Lullabies' had quite a few omissions from that era, so these will be more comprehensive.

Here's what Brett had to say about any ommisions on the reissues:

"The DMS period gig from october 1994 in Paris was Richard's first ever with the band and so it seemed appropriate that it should be on the Coming Up re-issue as it was with that line-up even though it featured songs from the previous album.

Digging a Hole and Weight of the World were not included due to lack of space. There are only 80 minutes of space on a cd and too many b-sides from that period to fit them all on. Even though these songs were released as Suede songs, they were essentially Neil's solo material, all written and performed entirely by him. Therefore they seemed the least relevant to a Suede re-issue and so were the first to see the gleam of the editors knife.

The omission of other material ( Be My God, the Down demo etc, etc) was also due to lack of space. The songs we eventually included , although often sketchier and more lo-fi, seemed more interesting.

Music Like Sex is included on the HM re-issue as the song was originally written during that period but not revived and finished until later.

I hope you will all enjoy these re-issues. I think there's some absolutely fantastic stuff on there . Personal favourites include the full length Asphalt World, the version of Just A Girl with Justine singing backing vocals, the Paris gig of 1993 when the original line-up played songs from DMS for the first time live, the 96 Roundhouse show, mine and Richard's 4 track demo of Beautiful Ones and a hilarious stage invasion of the Black Session in Paris in 99 .

Some of it sounds very rough and sketchy but the whole point of this for me was to show a glimpse behind the mask.

Thanks

Brett
    "

22. Almost Simon

Yes, Sci-Fi didnt feature all the b-sides, just the best ones.

Personally, I still can't decide which version of Europe is our Playground I prefer. The original from the B-Side of Trash was definitely worthy of being on Coming Up. A superb tune, wasted as a B-Side. But that version is shorter, faster tempo and doesn't feature much in the way of guitar, very bass/keyboard orientated. The latter version re-recorded for Sci-Fi Lullabies has the guitar much more to the fore. I have a Suede playlist on my ipod and have both versions included, it really is that good a tune. Certainly would make my alltime Suede top 10.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  23. Almost Simon

Yep, same price on amazon. Superb value. I'll be getting all 5 to complete my collection.

I do hope their final album gets another chance this time around. Its kind of been dismissed as being poor which I don't necessarilly think is the case.

Their choice of singles from the album was poor and by the time the album came out any sort of critical appreciation for Suede had disappeared.

I'm not saying its a classic, far from it but it does have some very good tunes on it. Astrogirl is another of my alltime Suede faves.

24. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Holy crap, that looks wonderful. I'll be springing for all five.

Now, if they'd only do the same for Blur's output...

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I'll be getting all of these as well. On my best-artists-of-the-90s list, Suede would rank at the very top. The two albums with Bernard Butler are classics, and Coming Up isn't far behind. The £9.99 price is a bonus - I was expecting to shell out a heftier sum to get all five.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.