Strange version of Doors "Break on Through" just on XM radio....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZappaSG, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Concerning the "fly-in" - how much of that line was inserted? Is it just the "word high", or the entire "she gets high...she gets high"? That entire section sounds different (IMO) fromthe rest of the song.

2. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I can see it as being a nod to Jim's original intention for the songs...possibly it would have been done while Jim was alive if the technology was available, who really knows.

Remember Jim and co wouldn't change the line for "Light My Fire" on Sullivan..he actually made sure it stood out by sneering it into the camera.

I can see him wanting it put back in....

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The track has been digitally distorted (unintensionally ??),
    whereas the old cd version certainly was not.
    It sounded really AWFUL.
    Beside that, the sound is heavily limited, unlike the earlier cd & lp versions,
    and doesn't do justice to what the orginal record sounded like at all.
    Probably done to make it louder on the radio.

Needless to say, I kept the orginal track on the comp.

Has anybody else noticed this ?
    I haven't bothered to listen to the rest of the tracks, but is this only hearable on the first album >?

Menno[/QUOTE]

Your just probably reacting to the typical SPITTY/GRAINY low bit sound of improperly implemented HDCD mastering/encoding.

4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I don't recall Jim sneering into the camera during this performance. You might be thinking of the Oliver Stone version.

5. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Hmmm...possibly. I think on the original he did come closer to the camera though, which could have been embellished in my memory by Stone's , imo, dismal movie.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Wasn't the version of "The End" with the swearing originally available on the soundtrack of Apocalypse Now?

Evan

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Been out for years, we've talked about it in several threads...kinda outta da loop, ain'tcha? :winkgrin:

:ed:

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

bump

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

They actually said they would, just before the show, and then Jim "forgot". Made somebody at Ed Sulivan Productions really mad.

10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

FYI, the "f-bomb" version of "The End" - or at least, that particular part - was featured in Apocolypse Now. I believe it was also on the soundtrack, and later turned up on a single-disc greatest hits CD a few years back.

11. Lord Hawthorne

It was also on the original mono mix of the lp.

12. Ed Bishop

Except for different takes relative to mono and stereo copies of the same Lp, that's the biggest difference I've really heard between a mono and stereo album. The f-words are very obvious in mono, even if not as pronounced as they are on the stereo version currently floating around. And as it was mixed early in '67, and was in print in mono for over a year, you gotta wonder how the f's got by them in mono, but were mixed out in stereo. Different engineers doing the mixes? Sure is curious...

13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Where exactly does it come in? I have a rather beat-up mono Doors LP, and haven't had any luck hearing it. Can anyone point me to it?

Dan

14. Lord Hawthorne

The "frantic" part of the song, after he implores you to meet him at the back of the blue bus. He says it many times.

15. Ed Bishop

That he does...:D Yes, it's very obvious, unless your copy skips all over it, don't see how you can miss it. My copy is VG at best, but plays Ok and the f's are more than audible at reasonable volume.

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Doors movie soundtrack remains in print as an import and it does have the censored versions of "The End" and "Break On Through."

17. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Ah! Got it! Thanks all! It's weird, I mistook it at first for what I thought were some "chick chick" muted guitar strums. Someone once misrepresented it to me by saying it was after the "Father?/Yes son?" part, and my copy is G at best. I think the whole mono LP sounds great, btw!

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.