Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn't Stand the Weather SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Keith, I guess I wasn't too clear on my comment. Should have worded it different or said "the best sounding digital original version is bye-bye."

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sam, no problem. Thanks, though.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

OK, I gave the SACD of COULDN'T STAND THE WEATHER a really good listen the other day, and it sounds very good. The vocals on Tin Pan Alley are so immeadiate, you can close your eyes and feel Stevie right in the room with you. Although Tin Pan Alley sounds great on the remastered CD of Couldn't Stand..., the SACD is so lifelike that you have the real feeling that you are listening to Stevie play right in the room with you.

If you do not own this very elusive SACD, you must buy it. When I first bought my SACD player, the two Stevie Ray Vaughn SACDs were 2 of the first discs that I searched out and bought. This disc is in very short supply, and the supply is growing smaller everyday. Buy This disc today!!!!!

5. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I didn't know SRV was out of print. But, luckily, I just ran to Best Buy where they still had one.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Just for kicks, I've been checking the SACD sections at my local stores for this title. Sure enough, all gone. I doubt I woulda noticed unless someone mentioned it here.

Luckily, this was one of my first SACD titles I got back in '01 along with "Texas Flood" and "Thriller" :righton:

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Selfish update - They said my copy of CSTW shipped.

But thanks everyone with the reviews on this disc...!

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Me too. None of the local stores have Couldn't Stand the Weather. I've seen a few copies of Texas Flood, though.

Like you, I bought Couldn't Stand the Weather in 2001.

10. markl

markl Senior Member

Has anyone heard the In Session SACD of SRV and Albert King? This is apparently a live recording made around the time of Texas Flood where Stevie is guesting on stage with King. Any input?

11. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Haven't heard the SACD, but if you have a TT I'd recommend the 45rpm version that Steve did.

12. Sckott

Agreed. The AK/SRV album is one of those unsung audiophile heroes, even on plan ol' CD it will impress.

Then the 45RPM - Just that much better!

13. -=Rudy=-

Scott buys the last known copy in Canada. :laugh: :thumbsup:

Musically, it's a lot of fun! I like hearing these guys play off of each other! Sonically, it's not bad for a live recording. I bought the CD, not knowing it was available on SACD. :( That may no be too bad though--I do not listen to live recordings all that often anyway. Is this a must-have? Maybe. Don't expect it to be all SRV pyrotechnics. (In fact, there's only one SRV song, Pride and Joy", on this disc.) You can tell they both admire each others' playing in this set. :) If you want to hear where SRV gets a lot of his inspiration, or just want to hear some good blues guitar playing, then by all means grab this one. :agree:

14. markl

markl Senior Member

Ugh, another one I gotta buy. This place is killing me! :(

15. therockman

If I am not mistaken, COULDN'T STAND THE WEATHER SACD was deleted from the Sony catalog in the summer of 2002, so that by mid 2003 this title was already scarce. This title is a must own in DSD.

16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

Mark I have the SACD of SRV and Albert King and it blows the doors off the redbook version. Since you don't have this album yet get it on SACD. It is a hybrid as well so you can play it anywhere. The album is a lot of fun, and you can tell both players have a lot of respect for eachother, you should be hooked from the first note of Stormy Monday. :edthumbs:

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It was actually recorded for a TV show up here in Canada called, surprisingly, In Session. No audience, just a tv crew. Other episodes included Bruce Cockburn and Rik Emmitt, and Johnny Winters and Doctor John ( :eek: That would be one to see!)

19. -=Rudy=-

Cool!! Hope you got a good price on it also.

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Yep, Not bad for an OOP item and it was sealed.

Barry

21. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

I don't have the redbook CD but I did pick up the Fantasy Stereo SACD by SRV and Albert King. You're right - it's a real treat! Recommended.

22. markl

markl Senior Member

OK, I picked up the "In Session" SACD with Albert King, and this is a fun, envigorating listen. It's neat to hear the interplay of Stevie and King. Thumbs up for the music. However, IMO, this is one of those SACDs that seems to have little to offer sonically than you couldn't get on a plain vanilla CD. It's sounds good, there's nothing "wrong" with it to my ears, but it's not up to the standard of the best SACDs. Could be the mastering. Could be the recording. Could be a million times better than the existing Redbook version, I don't know. In and of itself, it's an "acceptable" hi-rez disc for me.

23. therockman

Thank you for your comments on IN SESSION. I do not own this title yet, but I ordered it a couple of weeks back from BMG Music Service. I will post here my feelings of this disc when I recieve it.

24. -=Rudy=-

It was a live recording, so I would think the recording isn't the greatest. I have the CD of it, and while listening after I found out there was also an SACD, I didn't think it really was what I'd call SACD-worthy. It's a good CD, but I don't have an urge to get rid of it in favor of the SACD. Now, if Born Under A Bad Sign came out in SACD, I'd be wanting one ASAP. :)

25. Sckott

The CD sounds damn good on its own...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.