Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn't Stand the Weather SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Just ordered the SACD from Amazon Canada of CSTW. Came out to about $27 USD w./shipping (no free shipping to the US).

Coming back to this forum is e x p e n s i v e !

3. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Another source for Japanese SACDs/CDs is Hiroshi Tanno of Early Records. Early records website Really nice guy, he doesn't jack up the prices and his shipping charges are much lower than HMV/CDJapan. The titles listed on his website are just what he has in stock, but if it's available in Japan, he can get it. Just ask. Use the email link on his website. He's never failed to make me a happy customer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Wow, I just browsed his website. I could spend so much $moula there!

5. eelkiller

I noticed that the web page has now listed the CSTW SACD as "no longer available". I am wondering if they have discovered an error as it looks like many of us have tried ordering it (it is listed as the 160th biggest seller - odd for someting in the SACD vein especially something 4 years old). I wish you luck in getting one from them.

Barry

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I noticed that. However, the one listing is by "mymusicfix", a known "opportunist" who tries to get more than an item's worth. Read it, too, and it's NOT the SACD that this person is selling--it's the Mastersound gold CD. What it's doing listed there, I don't know--I personally think it's a listing spam and I may see if I can find a contact through my "associates" account and see what they can do. (I hate deception.) The second listing is the same price, but no mention of it not being SACD. I'm betting they saw this first seller's price and didn't read the description.

Second, PLEASE go buy it on eBay...that way, the multichannel will come out sooner. :D

Seriously, though--what I did on eBay was set up a search for "SACD Vaughan", so it e-mailed me whenever a new listing would come along. I'm also getting Sarah Vaughan SACDs in my results, but I try to be as generic as possible in searching. I realize now that I also should have done "SACD Vaughn", a common misspelling.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:wave:

But worth it, right? :)

Welcome back, Sckott!

:righton:

8. Sckott

Thanks.

Yes, the item is NOW showing OOS, same place I got mine from. I'll let you know if it ships. This will be a tad interesting if I get this title at all.

Hopeful, but grounded. ;)

9. -=Rudy=-

Unless you bought the last copy... (fingers crossed)

Amazon Japan still shows it:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004THDJ/

10. eelkiller

Rudy,
    Thanks for the info on the Amazon Japan site. I will try to get one through them.

Barry

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Absolutely ridiculous. I can see the original stereo-only SACD being out of print since the multi-channel version came out, but how could the multi-channel version be out of print? :( I never bought the multi-channel version, and I'm not about to pay $55 for it. Maybe Sony will bring it back. Er, doubtful. :(

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It's not. It hasn't been released.

13. KeithH

Geoff, sorry it wasn't clear, but the exchange that eelkiller and I were having just above was with respect to the multi-channel SACD of Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell, not Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn't Stand the Weather. Note that I thread-crapped above (;)) by bringing the Meat Loaf SACD into the discussion.

14. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I was cursing myself out after I bought the SRVs when I found out they were going to be released in multichannel. Now I'm thankful I apparently made the right choice.

15. Sckott

Has anyone really checked to see which early Sony SACDs ARE still in print? I don't want to look. I haven't seen Tapestry, Time Out or even many Miles titles in B&M places. :(

16. KeithH

I haven't seen the early Sony titles either, but I just figured the chain stores weren't restocking SACDs. They never have.

17. Sckott

Looks like Tapestry IS OOP...? Still available at Elusive Disc but nothing at Tower for example - "Not Available"

Sheesh.

18. eelkiller

Here is a link to the Sony SACD site with available titles.

http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/

Barry

19. -=Rudy=-

Neat--didn't know some of these titles were in print!

A bit disturbing though--they have nothing under "Upcoming Releases". :sigh: Either they're being secretive, or have nothing ready for the immediate future.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hiya Scott,

The stereo-only Tapestry is definitely long gone. The 2.0/5.1 newer version features a remixed stereo track, so the best sounding digital original version is bye-bye.

I'm 100% that any old stereo-only titles (i.e. Brubeck, Kind of Blue) are OOP replaced by their multi-channel versions.

21. -=Rudy=-

How different is the new version vs. the old? I've only heard bits and pieces of this album but have never owned a copy of it. If ignorance is bliss, I could just go with the newer SACD. ;) (IOW, I don't have the older one as a reference point.)

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Don't sweat it, Rudy. I'm not a CK expert, but the differences are minor IMO. Of course, being silly like I am, I just had to hunt down the orginal mix for collectors sake :sigh:

23. KeithH

So you're saying that the stereo track is better on the original stereo-only SACD? I have the stereo-only disc and haven't picked up the multi-channel disc yet. The stereo SACD is easily the best-sounding digital version of Tapestry I've found. Only the Legacy remastered CD comes close, but the SACD is much better. The original CD and MasterSound gold CD are far worse.

24. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

"So you're saying that the stereo track is better on the original stereo-only SACD? I have the stereo-only disc and haven't picked up the multi-channel disc yet. The stereo SACD is easily the best-sounding digital version of Tapestry I've found."

Keith,

The stereo SACD of "Tapestry" contains the original LP mix, as opposed to the later stereo/multichannel SACD of "Tapestry", which contains a remixed stereo version of "Tapestry". I prefer the original stereo mix on the original SACD.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

25. KeithH

Thanks, Ed. I'm not much of a multi-channel guy, so I'll probably pass on the multi-channel disc then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.