Steve's update RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS Amazing sounding analog masters for LP confirmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Why are you comparing vinyl to bread? :laugh:

2. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Excellent!!! Steve, I'm happy that you are so excited by the project! The songs are great, so this will be a real treat to hear what you and Kevin will be able to do with them!

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, do you think many other contemporary albums would sound like this if you could hear them before mastering?

Maybe making good vinyl versions of new music is something you should try to get into more? Or are you not really interested?

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Or mastered to get something better than the master tape... :rant:

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

ShowsOn - an admirable stand! :edthumbs:

squealy - That's not Steve's call, unfortunately. I'm sure he'd like to do plenty of both new and old releases if he could. It's absolutely possible that other recent recordings sound appreciably better on the "masters" or master mixes than they do on the CDs. Of course it'd vary according to many factors on a case per case basis... oh you were asking Steve :o :laugh:

MeToo - Quality vinyl is a high resolution format. Regarding a DVD-Audio, I'm all in favor of your suggestion, and I love that great format. The choice of vinyl is less surprising (as opposed to DVD-A or SACD) when you consider that this album, in this digital age, was recorded all analog, clearly a choice favoring the analog media for the desired qualities. It seems natural in that light that they'd like to see an all-analog issue. As the ultimate in analog quality wise, open-reel, is sadly not a consumer format, that leaves vinyl. Understand, I'm just discussing the thought process. I think highly of DVD-Audio, even that it can compare favorably to vinyl and does sound more "analog" than "digital" in my own opinion. I'm grateful the release is coming in high quality in any high-res format; so happens it's vinyl in this case. High res all the same. :)

With everyone annoyed at ya and try to smash ya anytime you're buzzing about anything? Besides who said they'd have flies on the walls in there :winkgrin: hehe

6. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Thought process understood, but IMHO they should not leave out digital audiophiles. And I point this out because they have taken them into consideration on other releases, for example: Neil Young "Greatest Hits" and "Prairie Road", Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" and "Everything Must Go" and Donald Fagen, his three solo albums, not to mention Flaming Lips.

7. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:goodie:
    this is gonna be awesome!

8. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I ask today in my local independent store about if the knew something about the LP version of RHCP´s new album and the guy was a complete stupid, but they probably get it, at least one or two copies, they have many of the new vinyls. When this album get released, I´m definately going to try to get a copy.

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Point taken :) As you say, Warners has released others in high-res digital form including new titles. The route it's taken appears to me to confirm that this release was motivated by the RHCP rather than Warner, although obviously with Warner support. Ah well :)

10. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

how much can we expect the price to be (rough estimate)

11. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

True! :D I probably would have tried to land on the take-up reel
    and gotten smashed into the tape! "Hey Mom, I'm finally on a recording!"

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Don't guess......just be patient.

13. Darles Chickens

Darles Chickens New Member

I am going to buy two of the 180-gram 4 LP box set. One for me and the other I will send to Geddy Lee so that he can chew on the LPs.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:yawn:

Attached Files:

15. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

:laugh:

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm glad I decided to wait for the vinyl of this one. It sounds like it is going to be special.

17. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Awesome! Can´t wait to hear this one. Bad news is that it will cost me a fortune in shipping to get the 180 g package to Sweden. But who knows, maybe some retailer will get it over here.

Thumbs up for this one, Steve.

18. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

It was already mentioned, but I see one problem in this affair:

The superior sound of the LP will be attributed to the LP format and its analogue-ness. Buyers, reviewers, producers, even audiophiles will take it as proof that LPs have a bigger, more dynamic and more lifelike sound, and that CDs are only suitable for boomboxes, car players and as a source for IPods.

Will those who notice the difference in sound quality but who do not visit this forum really conclude that the CD could have sounded as good as the LP, had the same mastering approach been applied?

19. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

ok :angel:

20. I think the mastering is more important than the format, so I have talked to many fans in the official RHCP forum and told them that the CDs could sound a lot better than they do. But I agree that many people are probably just going to say "you're only saying the vinyl sounds better because you are old fashioned, and biased in favour of analog, and the vinyl format." When my real feeling is that a properly mastered CD of the album could sound just as good as a properly mastered vinly version.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Could the CD have sounded better than the maximized version that has been released? Sure, but it could not have sounded as as good as a 180-gram audiophile lp mastered from the original 30 ips analog tapes.

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

That's of course a different discussion. CD versus LP. Not for now.

23. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

Right! :righton:
    No. Trying to get a CD remaster is a different discussion, not for now. ;)

24. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Where will this be available? Information please! Although I'm not a fan of RHCP, I am a fan of good sounding music and this one sounds very interesting!

25. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Based on this news (inc. the SH-mastered vinyl version of "Morph the Cat" and other high quality vinyl releases from various record companies), in theory I would add the vinyl format to my collection (of CDs, hybrid SACDs and small collection of single-layer SACDs), but I'm afraid the ol' pocketbook would die from taking on such an endeavor :)

Like others had voiced in this thread, let's just hope they get Steve to mix a special high-res version of this album, even if it's (hybrid) SACD stereo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.