Steve's Analogue Productions Blue Note SACD/CD Sound Quality Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jpm-boston, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Bingo - stick with the vinyl releases :cheers:

2. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

A strange thought - what if the SACDs had come out just as good or even (miraculously:angel:) better than the 45 rpms ?

3. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here is a reposting of Steve's statement regarding any perceived differences.

4. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

There are of course going to be differences in everyone's SACD and LP playback equipment making it difficult to compare apples and apples here.

5. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree.

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Elusive disc has these for $29.99 and if you use "memorial day sale" in the special commenst section of the order, you get 10% off. I just ordered Dexter & Fred Jackson. Thought I would pass this on.

BTW - I have Capuchian Swing & Leeway and I am quite pleased with the sonics on these SACD's. They have the "breath of life" that one would expect from our host's work.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I guess Steve had test pressing as the SACDs do not sound like the LPs I have heard.

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yes... but at a drastically higher price, and with no bonus tracks that are on some of the SACDs.

What I did, since the Music Matters didn't come out on any digital format, was subscribe to the Music Matters 45rpm series. Before the AP SACDs were a reality I ordered a few AP 45rpm Blue Notes, but when the SACDs were announced I decided to go SACD only on the APs (subscriber) - since you get SACD and CD layers - more "versatile".

The SACDs are not bad - they are actually very nice... but once you have heard the 45rpm LP (even on my meager MMF-5), it is hard to not want all the 45rpm Blue Notes (no matter what reissue concern released them).

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You're in for a treat :agree:

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

True, but if anything my SACD playback is better than or on par with my LP playback. It's good enough to listen for dynamic range and hear the highs.

11. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Is anyone hearing a hum noise on Blue Train's CD layer?

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=181858&highlight=blue+train

From my post a few weeks back:

12. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The hum can also be heard during the "silence" between the original Blue Train album tracks (but not the bonus tracks).

Can't figure out why the hum would be present during the tape leader between album tracks. I don't hear the hum in previous CD issues.

Wondering if this hum was generated by the mastering console or tube playback gear etc.

Is the hum on any other SACDs in the series or just Blue Train?

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I don't hear a hum, just lack of top end and flat dynamics.

14. ATR

ATR Senior Member

:confused: I can't recall ever hearing the opposite on repeated listening.

15. How can the level be cut, yet the sound be louder? The only way you can make the sound louder is by adding compression. Yet the Blue Train SACD is completely uncompressed.

Of course I can't compare the SACD layers directly. But a comparison of the CD layer of the RVG SACD and the CD layer from the AP SACD demonstrates that the RVG version has been compressed, and according to WaveGain is about 8 dB louder than the AP version.

[​IMG]
    RVG CD layer top, AP CD layer bottom.

Even accounting for the fact the AP version doesn't peak at 0 dB digital FS. The RVG version is still 4 dB louder, which suggests it has had that much compression applied.

There is a minor authoring error on my copy of the AP SACD. There is a minute of silence at the end of Lazy Bird (Alternate Take). But I'm willing to accept that (I just edited it out), given that it is the best sounding copy of this album I've heard.

16. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Nicely done. ;)

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I agree. I have the AP "Blue Train" SACD and it was packaged very carefully and shipped fast. IIRC, I ordered it on a Saturday, it went out Monday and I received it on Wednesday.

I've had about four different masterings of John Coltrane's "Blue Train" over the years and the new SACD (mastered by Steve at the same time as the LP) blows them all away. It sounds fantastic. So rich and dynamic. :)

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You misunderstand...the LPs are dynamic. The SACDs are flat sounding.

I guess I'm trying to be brave enough here to suggest something that Steve's name is on is less than stellar. It's disappointing that people will do all sorts of contortions, in addition to poor listening, to justify that these SACDs sound great.

In fact they do not sound good.

I don't believe that Steve's mastering is at fault based on the split feed from the mastering studio when the LP was cut.

However, something must have gone wrong in the authoring stage as they do not sound great.

I have received several PMs and phone calls from folks I know on the board supporting my view.

Your mileage may vary.

19. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I dont have these but Im not sure I get what you are saying. You are stating as a "fact" that they dont sound good and that people are contorting things to convince themselves that these sacds sound good even though they hear them as better than anything the have to compare( other cd versions etc)? So, Im sorry, when again did you become the authority and final answer on what sounds good to someone or not?

I dont think you can state anything as a fact. I respect your opinion whatever the source of it might be but its kind of harsh old chap to snub others ears eh? ;)

If you say that these somehow got compromised somewhere down the line I think its worth looking at but even if they had could it be possible that even with the compromise you speak of that they sound pretty damn good?

Be careful how you judge others ears.

20. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

why wouldn't other people express their opinions freely too?

21. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

So, let me get this straight. The "Blue Train" SACD does not sound great because you say so and some of us are "doing contortions" in an effort to claim otherwise? Are you really that pompous? This disc sounds amazing on my system and for you to tell me I'm wrong about that is beyond rude...It's ignorant.

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I agree...

It's the only AP SACD I've ordered... and it blows away any other digital Blue Train version.

23. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Brave, you are.

(The 6dB thing: is this serious? Are you sure your sources are good? The waves sure don't look maximized or anything.)

24. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

If you like the BT you might like Whistle Stop even more

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm saying that many of us members do not find the sound good. It's just our opinion. However, I think it is the correct position having heard several of these SACDs on three different systems. I do believe there is a hesitancy to question the product here since Steve worked on it.

I don't believe that Steve is to blame for these sounding poor but I do find they sound poor.

And I say that as an obvious fan of Steve's work. I think there is a real likelihood his good work on these got futzed with before the final discs were created.

I hear compressed dynamics, soft or missing highs, and a general murkiness to the sound.

I'll just say that is my opinion and that of several others. Others can disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.