Steve, can you tell us which is the preferred mix for each Beatles album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Pepper, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

After listening to at least two different pressings of the UK LPs and the MFSL LPs, I have come to an interesting conclusion.

Even though the MFSL tape box photos show lacquer cuts for the most of the UK LPS, and they do match cutting dates in the Lewisohn book, they may or may not have been cut from that same tape.

An example is 'Please Please Me'. My -2 UK PPM was cut from a completely different tape than my -4 UK copy. The MFSL PPM sounds more like the -4 tape. The -2 copy has a drop out in 'I Saw Here Standing There' that is not on the other pressings, which again indicates a different tape was used.

Another difference I have heard is the MFSL 'All My Loving' sounds much wider than my -6 UK copy. Although that may just be form a tape machine not being in opitimum playback condition on the -6 cut.

You can see on the MFSL tape box photo for Help! the side 2 tape was repalced with a copy from the safety copy in 1976, when the original was damaged. I still have yet to compare my -1 UK cut for that side to my -4 cut and MFSL LP both of which were cut after the replacement.

I am thinking that Harry Moss might make a copy tape from the master each time to use for cutting, or at least after the -1 cut. I mean he probably was cutting a quite a few lacquers for each pressing and they may have taken that step to preserve the master after a few cuttings. Most of the other notes listing other countries on those boxes WERE for tape copies.

Interesting stuff!

2. AH On Vibes

AH On Vibes New Member

If I remember properly, only Dizzy Miss Lizzie was replaced.

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Tim, I remember hearing a copy in the past (not on an LP I own) that had a dropout on that song - I forgot about that. I don't remember it being there on my -1 copy.

4. Surfin Jesus

Surfin Jesus New Member

NO, that's Albuquerque

5. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

I remember my imprted Beatles Greatest LP from 1970s (ODEON Label) had very clear and dry stereo mixes. All my loving had the hi hat count in and I feel fine had idle chatter before opening strum. It was probably the best version of I want to hold your hand that I ever heard

DK Pete likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Cool reading this thread again. I had forgotten I had posted in it and had a few back-and-forths with Steve.

8. woodyfan

woodyfan Forum Resident

My very late two cents:
    PPM mono (although the Die Beatles -2 stereo is very nice)
    WTB stereo (and guys, I recently acquired the "wide" Canada Beatlemania, given all the enthusiastic endorsements here, but I think it pales tremendously next to the UK)
    HDN stereo
    BFS stereo
    Help mono
    RS original stereo (I don't mind the extreme separation at all)
    Revolver stereo
    Sgt Pepper mono by a long shot
    MMT mono
    White stereo
    most of the singles are --by far-- better mixed in mono, so Mono Masters over the stereo Past Masters
    but Steve is right--all the flavors of various mixes (including recent remixes) are to be savored. Interesting how it's mostly Beatles mixes where this even matters. The Stones differences, for examples, are pretty superficial. Only Hendrix and Pink Floyd (and maybe the Move) offer the same interesting mono/stereo comparisons imho.

9. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

• Please Please Me - Mono
    • With The Beatles - Mono
    • A Hard Day’s Night - Tie
    • Beatles For Sale - Stereo
    • Help! - Mono
    • Rubber Soul - Mono
    • Revolver - Mono
    • Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - Mono
    • Magical Mystery Tour - Tie
    • The Beatles - Tie
    • Side-A Yellow Submarine - Mono

10. woodyfan

woodyfan Forum Resident

I would have preferred the faster version one finds on the Star Club unauthorized lp. Sizzling energy!

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My preference is all UK stereo (with the exception of the German Horzu MMT). And I've tried loving mono, over and over, but it just ain't my go to.

12. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Thanks to Steve for reopening this.

I'm totally out nerded by you lot - which is a good thing ! :)
    Learning

I bought the LPs as they came out, starting on With the Beatles.
    There was only mono when I were a lad
    All the albums up to Sergeant Pepper - Mono
    Then I was beguiled by all sorts of other things happening , mostly Psychedelic and British Blues and left the Beatles LP purchases for some years
    Recorded all onto reel to reel from borrowed LPs my favourite medium for many years

So much music so many bands

My first Beatles Stereo LP bought 2007 Abbey Road via Ebay and my last Beatles LP purchase as CDs were easier - to play at work, in the car and on my newly acquired CD player

Ebay supplied my CDs and I didn't pay any attention to mono or stereo - what a Philistine !
    Looking for the first time at my Beatles CD I see a mix of mostly Mono with some Stereo CDs I can compare to the mono LPs

Not been played on the current set up - too much music not enough time

Looking forward to comparing in a few days unless I get captured by a more desperate need to hear others sound wonderful

For the future I see Beatles CD purchases of some sort happening
    Hopefully the numbers on the CDs I have will tell me which version I have from when. First few I've looked at give the original release date on the CD, not when they were manufactured

Dunno how I had time for a job before...

Shaker Steve and Tim 2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.