Steve, can you tell us which is the preferred mix for each Beatles album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Pepper, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Mono was basically done for in 1969, at least for albums. Quad was just coming. So at that particular time, if you were mixing an LP, it was for stereo only! Since there's never been a remix released, there's only one mix of ABBEY ROAD available. Any mono version released in other countries is just a collapse of the stereo mix. There was a stereo remix of LET IT BE, but that was more than a remix - it was a revised release.

2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Mine:
    Mono for Please, WTB, HDN,
    Stereo for Beatles for sale
    Stereo for Help
    Mono for Rubber Soul
    Stereo for Revolver
    Stereo for Sgt Pepper
    For MGT, some tracks are better in mono than in Stereo (Title track is better in Mono...All you need is Love is better in Stereo)
    Stereo -White Album, Let it Be, Abbey Road

I've never heard White album in mono, but I like it in stereo enough not to care.

3. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Thanks jacden and Martin for the info...

I assume the OP's questions have been answered so I'd like to ask the following:

Would you recommend checking out Let It Be ... Naked or just stick to the original CD instead?

Which release of Pet Sounds on CD has been your fave? I understand the 2001 HDCD is quite good, no?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Please, keep the thread on track. Thanks.

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The mono PEPPER is a must- practically everyone involved in its creation have avowed that the mono mix is the real version of the album. It's a shame that listeners have had to make do with needledrops to have a version on CD.

6. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Mine:

PPM-Stereo -2 German
    WTB-Stereo
    AHDN-Stereo and sometimes MFSL
    BFS-Stereo and MFSL
    Help!-Both
    RS-Both
    Revolver-Mono, then Stereo
    Pepper-Mono, then Stereo
    MMT-German A3/B3 Grail Stereo, and associated Mono singles, and RS 3 SFF from the MFSL LP.
    The Beatles(White)-Mono, then Stereo.

7. Traxinet

Traxinet Active Member

Perhaps this is another reason for my quirkiness. I am relatively "new" to The Beatles (this is my second year of fanboy-ness); as a teenager (still am) I of course used to love Eminem, Britney Spears, et al.

But of course I was weened on the 1987 CD mixes, so the mono Pepper was indeed a surprise. Still, the "only one mix" thing holds true... :shrug:

8. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Pour moi (red = mono, black = both/can't decide, blue = stereo):

Please Please Me
    With The Beatles
    A Hard Day's Night*
    Beatles For Sale
    Rubber Soul
    Revolver**
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    The Beatles

*Most of the tracks are better in stereo but I prefer the monos for a few.
    *Some tracks sound better in stereo with the ADTed vocals, others sound much better in mono, like Taxman.

9. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I mentioned this on another thread. I have to agree. I don't care for the mono mix. Many of the songs like Every Little Thing and Kansas City have longer fades in stereo. I do not like Kansas City in mono. The "hey hey heys" in one channel and the Macca vocal in another (IIRC)...love it!

For me (mono is chosen as well as stereo on the lps below for the different mixes):

Please Please Me (mono, stereo)
    With the Beatles (mono, stereo)
    A Hard Days Night (mono, stereo)
    Beatles for Sale (stereo only)
    Help! (Have never heard the mono sad to say. Like the stereo. Hate the remix cd!)
    Rubber Soul (mono, stereo)
    Revolver (mono, stereo)
    Sgt Pepper (mono, stereo)
    The Beatles (mono=love Hapiness Is a Warm Gun in mono especially, stereo)

My list is pretty much similar to others!

10. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Quite the opposite here - I heard all of those albums in mono first. The first album I heard in stereo was Pepper (back in '67 - at a friends house, I was STILL not set up for stereo). I loved the "separation", but didn't care for the mix. I still think the segway between Good Morning and the Reprise sounds better in mono. Having comitted that "tape wind up" sound to memory made me think of the stereo version as a bad, hard edit.

I first heard the US stereo Rubber Soul in '77, and told the owner that the false start on I'm Looking Through You must be a rarity! I had only heard the US mono and euro stereo album at that point.

I like the mono white album most for Helter Skelter. I just like the way the backing vocals are brought up higher in the mix.

11. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Well to answer your question (sorry Steve, just being nice):

Only get LIBN if you want to hear No-Noised crap. Seek out a bootleg. Honestly, it's probably the most bootlegged album of all-time so it should be easy to find a good set.

As for Pet Sounds, the DCC is the way to go for the mono mix. For the stereo mix, I'd say the DVD-A disc and the 40th anniversary edition are pretty decent.

And now back to our topic...

12. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There is one part of Sgt Pepper where the stereo mix is better, when the crowd comes in just before the reprise. On the mono, there's a "wow" when the tapes starts with the faders up.

13. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I prefer the "clucking" into the reprise more on the stereo than the mono. It's just mixed more to my liking.

That doesn't mean I like the stereo mix more than the mono. I love Mr. Kite in mono but the sound effects sound awesome in stereo.

14. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I think both are sloppy, but I agree the effect on the mono mix is jarring.

15. Jae

Jae Senior Member

For me, in order of preference:

A Hard Day's Night - stereo
    Beatles For Sale - stereo (listening to this right now in fact!)
    With The Beatles - stereo*
    Please Please Me - stereo*
    SPLHCB - mono
    Revolver - mono
    White Album - mono
    Rubber Soul - mono
    Help! - mono

*An little anecdote - I bought both PPM and WTB on vinyl in 1988 after having them on tape for a number of years. They came in stereo covers, and thus still being naive I just assumed they were in stereo (albeit *very* narrow). Around 1990ish, I acquired a Russian copy of "A Taste Of Honey", and to this day I remember being totally blown away when it started playing. It had a sound I'd never heard before. Clear. Crisp. Sweet.

I eventually learnt that I had bought the standard (mono) digital remasters, which in Australia misleadingly carried the stereo PCSO catalogue number. Suffice to say they didn't last long before being replaced with earlier stereo editions. I remember listening to entire sides with the right channel muted just so I could hear the instruments.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You know me: All MONO! Well, up until there was no more mono!

17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Any chance of getting you into surround?

18. Teddy P.

Teddy P. Forum Resident

Steve,

I have one of these 1970's Parlophone stereo silver and black label Beatles For Sale which sounds amazing. Upon inspection, I have found YEX 142-1 and YEX 143-1 matrix numbers.

Do I have a later pressing made from earlier tube-cut mothers?

Perhaps RaunchnRoll would like to chime in here as well.

Thanks, Edward

19. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

That's it. It's an originally cutting/later pressing. :thumbsup:

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

:agree: One Beatles CD I auditioned and never bought. Got it on vinyl tho...:D

21. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Agreed. Side 2 Stereo makes some of the songs sound unfinished vs. the mono---esp on "You Like Me Too Much" and "Tell Me What You See"---not their best songs but much better, fuller in mono.

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Mono Pepper is my choice. I think it's a totally rocking album in mono. In stereo it's very polite.

23. Steve Hoffman

Vacuum tube (valve) cut.

Treasure it, bud!

24. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Thanks Steve, for your opinions. You've mentioned here your preference for stereo "For Sale" and "With" and I recently got a needledrop of the UK stereo from a friend. Even on my junk, For Sale sounds warmer, more "alive" than the harsh, painful CD.
    I love With the Beatles but that CD...ouch. I'm not fond of that compression in the stereo where the backing music drops out in the right channel when the vocals come in, but I'll take it over the CD.
    Is it just me, or is "Mr. Postman" reallllly compressed or something?

I really like the Disc Amerique "Help!" and "Rubber Soul". I prefer the mono mixes of Rubber soul on the EP CD set, but the bass seems artificially boomy. Is it just me?
    Somebody said "polite" about stereo Pepper - stereo Rubber Soul is too polite - the mono mixes rock more.

I really dig Please Please Me in mono and have constructed it using the Capitol sets.
    Is it true that the very first UK pressing of Please Please Me used the "dry" mixes? The Yellow and Black label?

25. Steve Hoffman

No, never did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.