Steve Berlin of Los Lobos remembers working with Paul Simon...and it was NOT good.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan C, Apr 4, 2008.

1. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

But even a Roy Halee interview(in Britain's "Record Collector" magazine) states that Garfunkel's only recordings towards the project were a few background vocals.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I find it pretty hard to believe that if the album were finished, it wouldn't have come out (or that it would never have been bootlegged).

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

At the risk of a thread-crap inquiry, courtesy of Wikipedia:

"Cleveland Rocks" is a rock song written by Ian Hunter and appearing on his 1979 album You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic. A later recording by Presidents of the United States of America is well known as the theme song of the television program The Drew Carey Show. The song is seen as a de facto anthem in Cleveland, Ohio, and sometimes is used as a victory song for the city's sports teams.

The song was inspired in part by the songwriter's desire to counteract the poor reputation of a city for which he had some affection. Hunter states on his web site, "the inspiration for 'Cleveland Rocks' goes back to the old days when people used to make fun of Cleveland. Cleveland was 'uncool' and LA and NYC were 'cool'. I didn't see it that way. Lotta heart in Cleveland."[1]

The song was first released under the title "England Rocks" on a 1977 non-LP single, predating the release of the "Cleveland" version by two years. Hunter has maintained, however, that Cleveland was the original subject of the song, stating on his web site, "I originally wrote 'Cleveland Rocks' for Cleveland. I changed it later to 'England Rocks' because I thought it should be a single somewhere and Columbia wouldn't release it as a single in the U.S. (too regional). 'Cleveland Rocks' is Cleveland's song and that the truth."[2]

The song was covered in 1997 by The Presidents of the United States of America to be used as the opening theme for The Drew Carey Show. It accompanied a lavish opening sequence in which the cast lip-syncs the song while performing elaborate choreography. At the beginning of the recording, Drew Carey can be heard saying "Hey!" and then laughing, and at the end shouting "Ohio!". This version appears on the album Cleveland Rocks! Music From The Drew Carey Show as well as on the band's compilation Pure Frosting.

"Cleveland Rocks" also appears as part of a medley on Hunter's 1998 album Welcome to the Club. The "England Rocks" version appears on the compilation albums Shades of Ian Hunter: The Ballad of Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople and The Very Best of Ian Hunter, as well on the CD re-issue of Hunter's 1977 album Overnight Angels.

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Hey Steve... nice to have you here. Just saw you guys at William Paterson Shea Center in NJ. Great show. To bad to hear about how Paul Simon treated you, but after seeing your great band live... well what can I say. I would see you guys again in a heartbeat, Paul Simon - well I wouldn't go see him if you paid me.

Anyway here is a picture of a bunch of nice guys who graciously signed CDs and shook my hand (now would Paul Simon do that????):

Attached Files:

5. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Yes. That was why I was immediately underwhelmed by Graceland. Interesting music, but for the most part Simon's vocals are spoken as much as they're sung, and to my ear they often have little to do with the music. And it's only gone downhill ever since.

"Weirdly verbose and amelodic." Exactly.

6. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Strange how Simon would give co-credit on so many songs on the album but hold back for Los Lobos. Sounds to me like the "jam" atmosphere which led to the song's creation may have led to some confusion. I'd like to hear the original tapes and takes. How much of the song’s structure was presented intact to Simon? Some of the hyperbolic swipes at Simon diminish the credibility of the story for me. Why couldn’t an appeal be made for a music-cowrite credit? Who says asking for due credit would automatically make Los Lobos look bad?
    The whole thing about Art not getting credit for songwriting contributions sounds suspect to me, as far back as they went and as fierce as the fighting got—why would Art be a shrinking violet on this one very big issue of songwriting credit. I’m not buying that one.
    I’m sure Simon could be a prick; he seems like a very serious guy, I’m sure he has high standards in the studio---but a “****ing idiot”? I’m not buying that one either.

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

6 pages of Slander on Paul Simon's name. I think this is the most useless thread I've ever read here on SH.TV

8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

slander

A type of defamation. Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community. Because slander is a tort (a civil wrong), the injured person can bring a lawsuit against the person who made the false statement. If the statement is made via broadcast media -- for example, over the radio or on TV -- it is considered libel, rather than slander, because the statement has the potential to reach a very wide audience.

Get back, jojo.

9. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Thanks, Bill.

If you want to call me on the phone, I'll be happy to slander Paul Simon.

10. Cheepnik

Aswyth wins thread. I won't quote the whole thing, it's on page 9.

11. Cheepnik

This is a good point. For all his gifts, Simon has zero charisma as a performer -- a commodity Dylan has to burn.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

That explains why I've never heard this song before..... :D

Just kidding just kidding - it was played religiously on WMMS back in the day.

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Very old story, and yes, Simon is a prick. Still love "his" music.

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Yeah, it's just like About A Boy where that guy never works but lives very well because his dad wrote one crappy Christmas ditty that sold.

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Awesome to see Berlin here!

16. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Short people got, no reason.....

17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I remember reading this story right when the record came out. Paul Simon has never been of more than passing interest to me musically or lyrically. I was sorry to learn he is also a thief. Too bad Los Lobos didn't sue him. At least they told the truth despite knowing Paul's fans would hate them, and never believe it.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, if people really went to the concert to see Dylan, who's show it really was, that's understandable. Not to mention you're from Minnesota - if the show took place there as well, there's going to likely be even more of an (understandable) attachment to Bob from the crowd.

19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Who is to assume its true what is spoken here?
    The accuser brings these statements 20 yrs later.

Graceland happened 20 yrs ago. Its a great album. Really nothing to discuss.
    Any court of law will back up Paul Simon if this were ever to go to trial. Its his word vs theirs.

20. Cheepnik

I'd be interested to learn about the caselaw on which you base this assessment.

21. Actually this story has been floating around for some time.

"There's three sides to every story...there's yours, there's mine and the cold hard truth".

If Simon did screw the guys out of their royalities, that sucks and it doesn't say a lot about him personally or professionally. On the other hand, he's been around the block a few times and has written some pretty terrific material.

Same with Los Lobos. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

22. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Understood. But you know where I'm coming from. There are Stars and there are STARS of Stars.

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree...

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

After reading this thread all the way thru, can't say it was a very good read.
    But I can say that Los Lobos is one of the Best Bands ever :righton:

25. joeortonjr

joeortonjr Forum Resident

Forgive me if I remain in awe of a songwriter with Train In The Distance, I Do It For Your Love, The Only Living Boy In New York, Wartime Prayers, Duncan, Darling Lorraine & Save The Life Of My Child in his portfolio (unless somebody here cares to challenge his authorship on those numbers). I've long ago separated the person from the music for the artists I admire.