Steely Dan AJA - original U.S. vinyl pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Jul 11, 2008.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The thing about Keel Mfg. subcontracted pressings of the original ABC release, at least part of the reason had to do with a strike at the CBS Pitman, NJ plant for part of 1978. During that period, releases on Columbia, its subsidiaries (Epic and Portrait) and distributed labels (Philadelphia International, Kirshner et al.) were pressed all over the place, by plants that would have otherwise never handled CBS product (i.e. Monarch Record Mfg., and even the RCA Indianapolis plant).

Another "other" pressing I've seen of the ABC Aja was by Specialty Records Corp. of Olyphant, PA.

bgrant570 likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just checked mine and found that all I have is:

AB1006(RE-3)-A
    AB1006(RE-3)-B

No additional figures....

The sound is stunning and the cover a super heavy gatefold that seems to weight more than the vinyl itself...

Brett Sherris likes this.
  3. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Would also be great if anyone can shed any light on this one:

AB 1006 (RE-3)-A R2 / AB 1006 (RE-3)-B R2

R2?

4. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

See post #34

5. kumast

kumast Forum Resident

Thanks One L. I thought someone might shed some light on the 'T1'. Also the 'R2' in my later post.
    I'm new to this as you can see...

6. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Welcome to the forums!

There are smarter people who can shed more light on Matrix info that I can. Hopefully one of those will pop into this thread and share the info.

7. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

More Inscriptions...

I just bought an AB 1006.

The dead wax inscriptions are: AB 1006(RE-3)-A and AB 1006(RE-3)-BX

I have two AA 1006's. My so called "original" seems pretty early as its inscriptions are: T1 AAB (The B is crossed out) 1006(RE-3)-A T4 and T1 AAB (...B crossed out) 1006(RE-3)-B-2

I picked another up not too long ago at GW: AAB (The B is crossed out) 1006(RE-3)-A 1C with T4 about 180 degrees away, and AAB (The B is crossed out) 1006(RE-3)-B BAA (The A in the middle of BAA is crossed out) and B8 is about 180 degrees away, opposite side of the dead wax.

Thought I would add this for posterity in case someone is taking notes and making a list.

I also have the MCA CD: MCAD-37124, DIDX 55, 1984. This was probably the second CD I ever bought.

8. 131east23

This following quote is from a Rolling Stone (#255) article that appeared shortly after Aja was released. It has been noted that the original AB 1006 number on the album originally denoted an ABC Records album that would sell for $6.98. Seing that the AB 1006 albums are much harder to come by it may have something to do with the deal Azoff made to the national record chains described in the paragraph below. If true, very shortly after Aja's release the price went up and the album became AA 1006.

"Three years ago, Azoff was wearing out copies of Pretzel Logic. Now, having finally acquired Steely Dan, he is in the frenetic but enviable position of managing all of his favorite artists, including Boz Scaggs, the Eagles, Jimmy Buffet and Dan Fogelberg. “I used my power base,” Azoff said, “and called all my rack-jobber friends – the guys in the field and the record chains – and I offered them Aja for a suggested $6.98 instead of the $7.98 list price. Most of them knew they could stock up early and retail it as if it were $7.98. They all bought two, three, four times as many as normally. I told them the offer would last two weeks."

9. gmku

gmku Active Member

Actually, an AB-1006 would indicate first pressing. AA indicates second pressings. About the time Aja was released, ABC changed its catalog prefix from ABC to AB. Then a few months later, coinciding with $1 increase in its record prices, it changed it again to AA.

So if you have AA-1006 it is an early second repressing.

Both my AA and AB copies sound excellent, but I give the nod to AB for warmer and fuller bass.

10. 131east23

Actually, according to info in this thread, all AA 1006 are at best 3rd pressings. The second pressing is an AB 1006 with the B scratched out in the deadwax and an A scratched in. Then comes the AA 1006.

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

In case someone is taking notes and making a list, mine is:
    ABC label...
    side 1: T1 AA[strike]B[/strike] 1006 (RE-3) -A T5
    side 2: T1 AA[strike]B[/strike] 1006 (RE-3) - B - 2

12. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

that was for a AA-1006 version.
    I also have a AB-1006 version with:
    side 1: T1 AB 1006 (RE-3)-A T5
    side 2: T1 AB 1006 (RE-3)-B - T2

larry

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Both of which were pressed by Columbia's Terre Haute, IN plant.

So we have confirmed Terre Haute and Santa Maria pressings - any Pitmans of AB 1006 or AA 1006?

14. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Deacon Blues seems to sound worse, muddier on my pressing, is this consistent across the board? a case of some bad nr on that track?
    Mine is an aa from SRC.

Heckto35 likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

ABC Records AJA USA
    Deadwax- Side 1 SX IS AA 1006-A (RE-4) 1A
    Side 2 IS AA 1006-B (RE-4) 1B SX

16. presto1989

presto1989 Well-Known Member

I don't know about what may or may not be a first pressing, but here's what's in the dead wax I have: AA-1006-A and also a 1 inside a circle. Also, there seems to be a capitol S with an R or P inside the top of the S and a C in the bottom. Also, the font on the label doesn't look like anything I've seen on an ABC pressing. It actually looks like something on an Atlantic album (or WEA). I have two other pressings and this one is different as far as the vinyl goes. Again, it just seems like an Atlantic records pressing. The record did sound great, though.

17. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

That would be one of the Specialty pressings...

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

If you listen to pretty much any other copy and compare, you'll realize that the MFSL has that "smile" EQ. It makes the high end too pronounced and sucks out the middle. No doubt the vinyl is dead quiet and it's superior dynamically. There is also a noticeable lack of grain in the high end, but the tonal balance isn't right.

katstep likes this.
  19. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

What AnalogJ says. I recently acquired a inexpensive MFSL LP of Aja and was astounded at how juiced the high end was. It was positively spitty on some tracks. Not a good listen. The vinyl was dead quiet though. If you want the best pressing of this album waste no time and track down the fairly recent Cisco reissue. It's the clear winner.

aarsonbet likes this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Cisco for analog.
    UK DCML 19145 for digital.

Done.

21. Admiral37

Admiral37 New Member

I was working in radio when Aja was released and I still have my first Demonstration copy. It's on ABC with the rainbow label.

AB 1006(RE-3) - A
    AB 1006(RE-3) - B

22. Thin Man

Thin Man Forum Resident

If we're voting, I go for the AB matrix. Much better than other pressings I have heard (although I have not heard the Cisco).

Heckto35 and bunkfoss like this.
  23. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Since nobody ever answered this: Listening to an AB copy right now, and "Deacon Blues" sounds a bit flatter than everything else on this copy.

To my ears, this AB original pressing does sound really sweet overall.

Heckto35 likes this.
  24. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Also: Can confirm a Pitman since I'm reviving this old thread. The copy I just found has the tiny (nearly invisible) machine-stamped P in the deadwax. It's AB 1006 (RE-3) A/B for the two sides, nothing else in the deadwax other than the also nearly invisible machine stamped substampers.

25. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Luckily I found several killer AB copies since this, and it sounds much better.

mikeyt and Heckto35 like this.