Star Wars coming to Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:agree:

2. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

:thumbsup::)

3. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

No big surprises with this announcement.
    Now it's time for me to get the OT on LD.

4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

You WILL be surprised. Lucas considers these releases the final versions of the films. No further work will ever be done. Details will be announced soon. FYI, the footage in the teaser trailer is not from the Blu-Rays. Lucasfilm has been working on improvements (sound, color correction, digital effects, etc.) since late-2004. An employee who has been on-board since 2005 said the CG now looks seamless in each film. Encodes and authoring have yet to be done.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Maybe he meant shooting indoors with faster film, thus grainier, as opposed to desert stuff that could be shot on slower film.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

May it be true.

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

So does this mean that this will be different than the HD transfer that's already been shown on TV?

8. Bryan

Oh and $5 says that they re-did Vader's unmasking scene at the end of Return of the Jedi so that it's Hayden Christensen in makeup.

9. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Ugh, I think I'm going to throw up...

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Please, NO!

11. Bryan

Seriously though, there's bound to be some more changes for the blu-ray release, just like when they first came out on DVD. Just prepare yourselves!

12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Harrison Ford has been replaced by Shia LaBeouf.

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Mon Mothma has been replaced by Natalie Portman with no explanation whatsoever.

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I fear an entirely CGI Yoda in ESB and ROTJ...

15. Daniel Plainview

Twisted AND evil.

16. Daniel Plainview

Blasphamy! Puppet Yoda was REAL. He was a real thing on a set being interacted with, which CGI Yoda is just another pixel on Lucas' bedpost. Can he not see that his madness is destroying all that was once good about these films?!?!?!?!?!?!

17. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Jabba the Hutt has been replaced with Michael Moore.

18. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

:laughup: :laughup: :laughup: Let's hope Georgie isn't reading this thread!

19. Daniel Plainview

The burnt remains of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru are replaced with non-burnt people laying on the ground looking peaceful.

20. paulisme

Lucas already stated he'll never release the unaltered original trilogy again. My faces LD from the 90's even has a sticker that says that release was the last chance to own the unaltered trilogy. George Lucas sucks.

21. paulisme

I heard they'd be replaced by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (but with make-up to make them look more alive).

22. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

How does the original non-anamorphic trilogy look on DVD when upscaled?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The mastering we did in February, March, and April of 2004 were all 2K transfers, so they hold up fine for HD. I assume all they needed to do was to cut in the fixed shots (at least for Jedi and the original Star Wars), and I don't think there's going to be more than 100 of those. But you never know.

So the best answer is, I'm not certain what they're going to use, but I assume that most of it will be the 2004 transfer.

There was some discussion about that, but the theory was that Vader's years of using the dark side of the force "aged him prematurely." (This was also shown in Episode 2 with the Emperor.) It is odd to consider that the Anakin Skywalker under the mask should only be about 44 years old; this is debated at length in the Secret History of Star Wars book.

24. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

For anyone who may be looking to track down the 'unaltered' trilogy on LaserDisc, here is info on the "Faces" versions referenced in this thread. There are also Japanese equivalents but I don't believe they offer any upgrade in either pic or sound quality.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/11011/8763-85/Star-Wars:-A-New-Hope-(1977)
    http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/11013/8764-85/Star-Wars:-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-(1980)
    http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/11014/8765-85/Star-Wars:-Return-of-the-Jedi-(1983)

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I hope they redo the color grading and correct the mistakes because the original Star Wars was pretty weird. Low gamma, too much magenta overall... Luke's lightsaber suddenly green (!!!) in the Falcon...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.