Star Wars coming to Blu-ray! (part2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow, those are practically my exact thoughts on the Prequels. Attack of the Clones' insipid romance is one of the worst ever put to film or tape. It would have been awkward and hokey in 1930, much less today.

Chris M, Plan9 and Encuentro like this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Attack of the Clones is definitely the worst one. At least The Phantom Menace has Darth Maul and that cool three way lightsaber fight going for it, but the film is brought down by Jar Jar.

Plan9 likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is the opinion of the Secret History of Star Wars book, though Lucas said otherwise in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. It's particularly interesting to consider that even as Star Wars was coming out, Lucas considered Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker to be two separate characters.

It's particularly sad when you consider the other kids Lucas almost hired -- they go over this in the "Making of" documentary. Lucas picked the worst-acting kid because he thought he had the right attitude and look. The whole movie hangs on Jake Lloyd's shoulders, and you needed a kid with the talent of (say) Haley Joel Osment to pull it off.

That kid was incredible in Forrest Gump and Sixth Sense, but a kid actor of this level of talent is one in a million.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Well, I was planning on avoiding the current blu-ray releases, but I inadvertently instilled a Star Wars bug in my 4 year-old son. I was going to watch my DVD of the original EP IV with him, but it (along with all of the other episodes) have disappeared. So, I'm left with no choice but to purchase the current trilogy blu-rays. Is there anything in the Complete Saga set that I absolutely can't live without or am I safe going with the more bare-bones (and less expensive) trilogy blu-ray-DVD combos? BTW, I'm a big fan from way back when.

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I was watching the prices of The Complete Saga blu-ray set and it's currently at $89.96 but it went down to $79.96 for one day only and I grabbed it. I am looking forward to seeing this on blu-ray even though he changed parts of the episodes.

I still have my silver/black THX DVD's Star Wars Trilogy 4, 5, 6 and bonus disc and I have the Star Wars Saga DVD pack of Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I'd still like to get a hold of the originals/untouched versions on DVD but there way too expensive. I don't know why he couldn't have just given us the originals as bonus discs in The Compete Saga (then it would have really been complete)

6. Big fans need the Complete Saga Blu-rays. It really depends on how much you watch the extra features.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I have both the silver and black trilogy box set with the bonus disc and the individually released versions with the bonus discs of the unaltered trilogies. I purchased all of them used at decent prices. I bought individually released versions, because I wanted the original unaltered theatrical versions. Their not that expensive if you buy them individually. They may be cheaper on Ebay.

Star Wars-$27.16
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two...&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+theatrical+version

The Empire Strikes Back-$19.90
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Ver...&sr=1-4&keywords=star+wars+theatrical+version

Return of the Jedi-$15.98
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Versions-Two-Disc-Widescreen/dp/B000FQVX78/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_y

mikeyt likes this.
  8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yeah, but you really need to be careful with some of those 3rd party sellers, the Jedi for $15.98 one seller says scratches on the disc and the other says small crack in the center of the disc, then you jump to $19.99 and one seller says suppose to come with 2 disc but it only comes with 1 (its missing the other disc) There is another for $19.99 that says good condition then they jump to $29.00. Amazon is selling it new for $78.00 So I guess you need to read and be careful what your getting. I don't know about the rest of you, but I keep my stuff prestine and if I buy used I want prestine used, not cracked or scratched discs.

Thanks for the links though, it helps.

Encuentro likes this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I got my STAR WARS COMPLETE SAGA the year it came out on Blu-ray as a Christmas gift. It was bought on release day at Target to get some kind of bonus - I can't recall what it was - maybe some lithographs or something. When I opened it on Christmas Day, there was a problem with one of the discs - luckily I was checking them all. I took it back to Target and they started giving me some hoo-hah about over 90 days, but I won the argument. I didn't care for those tactics - they urged us to buy it on release day and then we kept it as a present to open on Christmas. The fact that is was a manufacturing defect should have told them to make the exchange no matter how long it had been - and I had my receipt.

It's funny, I was actually looking at a bit of the Blu-ray set today. The picture and sound is just amazing.

Harry

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I quite enjoyed the original trilogy deleted scenes.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

True. You have to be super careful. I bought all of mine used, but I made sure to get the best possible quality at the best possible price.

12. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing this on blu-ray (my player should be arriving this week) I just bought The Complete Saga brand new, I really like watching all those behind the scenes and making of stuff and how they did it all so the extras should be cool. I also can't wait to see how different it looks from my regular DVD's of these movies. I plan to do a comparo.

I had a similar experience at Target last Christmas, I bought one of those bluetooth speakers on sale for $50.00 off the reg price a couple weeks before Christmas. The box was brand new and sealed, last one on the shelf. I got it home and could tell I was the first person to open this, I played around with it for about a week and decided it had too much bass sound for my tastes so I took it back, receipt in hand. The rep looks at the box inspecting it as normal, then says the #'s on the box don't match the # on the unit, then looks at me like I am trying to pull a fast one on her or something. I said, Miss, this box was from your store and was brand new, the unit is what was in the box, I did not switch anything so I don't know why the #'s don't match but I am not to blame. She kept going back and forth with me, starting to get me upset, so she called her manager over (another 10 min wait), she looks it over and finally after another 10 mins they issue me a refund. After that I left and went to best buy and bought a bluetooth speaker with them and love it.

13. We refer to it as "Attack of the Clowns" in our household.

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Wow you guys are harsh on the prequels. I enjoy watching them, not as good as the trilogy but I enjoy the visuals and the music as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.