Speed Of Life: David Bowie Song-by-Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prymel, Apr 30, 2023.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I kind of like Mother. POB is my favorite JL album.

grendel322, Piiijiii, Brian x and 2 others like this.
  2. Henri7

Henri7 Forum Resident

…. pointless cover. Cheesy as hell, over the top performed. Worst bowie coverversion next to „across the universe“ and „god only knows“

I know it gonna …

1,5 / 5

alugjk, Brian x, Ken.e. and 6 others like this.
  3. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Looking For Lester
    The horns are moderately interesting, but the dated rhythm track underscores how same-y this tune is. Only the entry of Mike Garson lends anything near dynamism. Crying out for editing, or relegation to b-side status, if not both.
    2.75/5

I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday

Not into Morrissey solo works, so never knew the OG - agree it sounds like there are shades of John Lennon initially. This cover comes across as sappy, uninteresting, and insincere. The YA-style treatment isn't a plus for me. The backstory is worth knowing, and the vocal is a mighty one, but as a finished tune...he is capable of so much better.
    2.1/5

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes. The production and instrumentation references Lennon's Mother. Must have been a conscious inspiration.

Brian x, Ken.e., omikron and 3 others like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The paradox is mainly about personal animus and, I believe ("as ugly as a teenage millionaire"), jealousy. Bowie actually liked "Cars" and "Are 'Friends' Electric?", he called them two of the loveliest British pop singles, he just didn't get along with Numan as a peer

KangaMom, Brian x, NekoM and 6 others like this.
  6. prymel

prymel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Our votes for “I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday”
    1-7
    2-12
    3-12
    4-8
    5-0

Average: 2.4179

Updated Cumulative Rankings For Black Tie White Noise
    1. Jump They Say – 4.0870 (46)
    2. Nite Flights – 3.9893 (42)
    3. You’ve Been Around – 3.2775 (40)
    4. Pallas Athena – 3.2207 (41)
    5. The Wedding – 3.1817 (41)
    6. Miracle Goodnight – 2.9273 (44)
    7. Black Tie White Noise – 2.5012 (43)
    8. I Know It’s Gonna Happen Someday – 2.4179 (39)
    9. I Feel Free – 2.2744 (39)
    10. Looking For Lester – 2.1838 (40)
    11. Don’t Let Me Down & Down – 2.0646 (41)

7. prymel

Today’s song is “The Wedding Song”

Lyrics – The Wedding Song

Bowie Bible – The Wedding Song
    Pushing Ahead Of The Dame – The Wedding Song

Writer
    David Bowie

Producer
    David Bowie, Nile Rodgers

Recording Date
    April – November, 1992

Release Date
    April 5, 1993 (Black Tie White Noise)

Principal Performers
    David Bowie – lead vocals, harmony vocal, tenor saxophone
    Nile Rodgers – rhythm guitar
    Michael Riesman – harp, tubular bells
    Richard Hilton, Dave Richards, Philippe Saisse, Richard Tee – keyboards
    Dale Schalow? – E-Mu SP1200?, Akai S2000?
    Barry Campbell or John Regan – bass
    Poogie Bell or Sterling Campbell – drums
    Fonzi Thornton, Tawatha Agee, Curtis King Jr., Dennis Collins, Brenda White-King, Maryel Epps – backing vocals
    Uncredited musicians – strings

Pegg, Nicholas. The Complete David Bowie (Revised and Updated 2016 Edition) . Titan. Kindle Edition.

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I like the idea of bookending the album, but the opening instrumental version works much better: 2.5/5.

I find the backing vocals particularly cheesy.

alugjk, KangaMom, Brian x and 13 others like this.
  9. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

Wedding Song

Sweet, I like the bass intro. Sax is very "Bowie"
    Vocal feels very heart felt.
    I like the boing boing boing BGVs sound like a preview of the church bells

3/5

alugjk, KangaMom, Brian x and 10 others like this.
  10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The Wedding Song

Dreaming alone and I feel that someone listens to me

Duh ! That's what you get when you give this a worldwide release :unhunh:

More of what we started this album with, now with vocals - some (second part) sound pretty good, some have awful effects applied, plus of course the yucky sax sound is back.

But somewhere in there I heard the fat lady sing, church bells rang and life as we knew it is about to be resumed.

Feels as if you've been forced to attend and undergo some ceremonial stuff, plus what friends and family thought would be memorable and funny (photo slideshow, singing a song with altered lyrics), because well this is a dear friend after all and he deserves support. Yet it all leaves a taste in your mouth (and it's no taste at all) you want to forget about.

The instrumental version is preferred - despite no doubt good intentions here: 1.5/5

alugjk, KangaMom, Brian x and 15 others like this.
  11. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

Different topic just heard the new track from the outside sessions get real i like it.
    Fits the sessions (love the pigs) and nice to hear a new clean unheard Bowie track.
    I guess it was a Japanese Bonus track, but i had never heard it

12. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

The Wedding Song

This is excellent. My favourite on the album apart from "Jump They Say". Joyful and heartfelt, it retains all the qualities of the instrumental version, but adds a great vocal and sweet lyrics. It's hard for me to see what's not to like here. Turn it up.

4/5

alugjk, KangaMom, Brian x and 11 others like this.
  13. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

The Wedding Song

I like it a lot here. The undulating vocals do not detract from the dreamy backing jam. They enhance.

The opener is like the morning wakeup on wedding day and this song is like the sleepy lullaby at the end of the day.

4.5/5

alugjk, KangaMom, Brian x and 10 others like this.
  14. SMRobinson

SMRobinson Forum Resident

Wedding Song

A nutty little ditty, an interesting and in the end moving combination of cold and warm, emotive and withheld. I love the ripping sax muted by the icy cold treatments. Same with the cut up drums, whose occasional imperfections and slightly tinny sound give the marital proceedings a kind of chilly martial awkwardness that suits the tender, slightly naughty vocal perfectly.

This one has been a real eye-opener for me.

4/5

alugjk, KangaMom, Brian x and 11 others like this.
  15. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Wedding song

Pretty & cute, if 'a little saccharine.'

2.5/5

alugjk, SMRobinson, KangaMom and 12 others like this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Wedding Song
    Sounds like the vocals were just added on top of the instrumental, so they sort of had to fit over the existing framework, with no option to develop it further melodically. It works better as an instrumental imho.

Angel for life, now that's a heavy responsibility to lay on your new bride. You have to be an angel to me, and it's a life sentence!

2/5

Cat People, alugjk, KangaMom and 14 others like this.
  17. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Technically, not quite a cover (James claimed this as an original composition despite it being an obvious ripoff of David Bowie's "Fame") but this may be an extreme example of what you are asking about.

18. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Whoops, you beat me to it. I should have read through the comments before posting.

19. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Forgot to respond to this. "We're the Pet Shop Boys" by My Robot Friend was covered by the actual Pet shop boys.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Wedding Song
    The cluttered, production pounds away here again but I quite like the song. I placed it higher up the playlist in my redux version. Perhaps a bit of Morrissey influence creeping in here too?
    3/5

alugjk, KangaMom, SMRobinson and 9 others like this.
  21. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

The Wedding Song. A charming midtempo groove with Bowie smoothly vocalizing on top. There's a free association feeling to the vocals and at one point he actually sounds like Morrissey ("Of all the saints alive"). Lovely track 4/5

Cat People, alugjk, KangaMom and 12 others like this.
  22. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

The Wedding Song, nice song that bookends the album or closes the circle with the end connected to the beginning. I know musically we have heard it before but the touching vocal that Bowie does elevates the song to a new level. An interesting instrumental is turned into a touching romantic love song without being cheesy.

Score 4.5/5

23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It was also a B-side to "Strangers When We Meet" and duly included on the first Re:Call 5 disc. But the 2024 Eno remix is something new! Just in time for us to discuss here...

"The Wedding Song" brings a tear to the eye now, especially "she's not mine for eternity". I get why Nile was frustrated by Bowie's preoccupation with this theme, but it was ultimately very important to put this down as a marker — he DID change his ways. This was a new Bowie. After finally marrying Iman, the 90s and onward were so much better for him personally and artistically. It was a remarkable change and we have a souvenir of the event. Even detractors have to admit it stands up far better than the Lennon/Ono Wedding Album at least! In fact I hear a bit of the same genuine sincerity here that John expressed in his post-Beatles love songs. It's a beautiful day — don't let it get away 5/5

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

25. prymel

The Wedding Song

I like it about the same with or without vocals. David's effort is pleasant, if a little bit lifeless, considering the subject matter. 3/5