Speed Of Life: David Bowie Song-by-Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prymel, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

I Know it's Going to Happen Someday

A great vocal performance of a mediocre song. This has always been the least memorable track on the album for me.
    The omission of the "R & R Suicide" chord sequence at the end is no great loss. It's not like M*rrissey even does anything with it, he just gets Ronson and the other musicians to play it after he's finished crooning.

2/5

2. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Lester. B-side at best. 2/5

I Know..

Forgettable and forgotten. On paper this would be amazing. In practice? It's dull as dishwater. The Moz original is an excellent example of build, tension and release. This arrangement is just a plodding meander through the song with no drama, no explosion, no climax. 1/5

3. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
    3/5

Ken.e., KangaMom, omikron and 4 others like this.
  4. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Do we sometimes take Bowie's tracks too seriously? I mean, he doesn't always. Often it's all very lighthearted or tongue in cheek. Why did he put the wedding on the album - merely to please his new gorgeous woman that he was besotted with. Same reason with DLMD&D - it was all done very lightly and easy. He really digs Lester, so he puts a showcase track on there - very DB: loves to celebrate his influences and favourites.

With I know its gonna happen he explains very lucidly on the video clips why he did it and it was coz he cld hear his own track being parodied and thought it would be fun to parody that - another classic Bowie move. Maybe coz his art up to 1982 was so serious in it's delivery often, we find it hard when the cat just wants to have some fun. And he was a totally playful cockney chap once he straightened his addictions out.

Smiler, Al Gator, Ken.e. and 17 others like this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A very Lennonesque approach ("Mother") and it's pretty awful. Even the guitar solo can't save it.
    1/5

6. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Okay maybe it's kind of a joke but if I wanted jokes I'd buy comedy albums.

Taken straight, the dynamics are all wrong. The thing about R&R Suicide, Wild is the Wind, etc, is that they build. There's a contained passion/intensity at the beginning & you can track its emotional blossoming as his voice notches up and everything becomes overwhelming & urgent.

DB starts this one at 10 on the vocal acrobatics scale and never lets up.

I'm occasionally emotionally moved in a kind of Pavlovian way, but I feel like I do when someone like Rober Goulet is tearing up the scenery, I feel manipulated & cheated, like I'm watching some soapy drama and yeah, I cry when the dog dies, but the whole emotional experience is negated by knowing that it's when I'm supposed to cry.

Granted, I'd take an album full of songs like this over almost anything he did with Tin Machine, but I think it's about time to put that phase behind me.

Smiler, Al Gator, Ken.e. and 11 others like this.
  7. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Totally understand your point, but on the other hand we're discussing the music, not how happy/unhappy he is in his personal life, or giving a spotlight to someone. I'm happy when he's happy, for sure, I love the man.

Sadly, as often in the case, the "art" suffers sometimes, from a very purely selfish fan perspective.
    Covering an obscure song your new wife loves? I totally get it. I just don't want to buy it...

"God, he was so much better when he was effed up". A recurring theme for some of these older artists and fans.
    One I'm very much guilty of, regardless of how I feel about them personally.

Al Gator, Ken.e., KangaMom and 10 others like this.
  8. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

This! And the second good cover on the album. 4/5

Ken.e., KangaMom, SMRobinson and 6 others like this.
  9. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

I Know it's Going to Happen Someday

It's Bowie doing a Morrissey song as if from 1974...I should love this! but it just doesn't work, mainly for the reasons already pointed out.

I think the fact that this is such a Morrissey song, I don't think David can pull it off either. It's a song about being alone, fearing you will never find someone......sung by a man who probably slept with more people than most of us have had hot dinners who's just married a supermodel.....a bit much.

2/5

Smiler, Al Gator, Ken.e. and 15 others like this.
  10. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

Oops! I meant Paul Young :unhunh:

Ken.e., KangaMom, DTK and 2 others like this.
  11. NekoM

I Know it’s Going to Happen Someday 2/5

Pete Burns from Dead or Alive was pretty close to Morrissey for a while, they had the same sense of humor, purposely dropping carpet bombs. Pete Burns showing up to meet Morrissey wearing a fur coat or Morrissey telling Sinead O'Connor that Pete Burns was spying on her with a telescope is pretty funny. Covering a Morrissey song though is no joke, in fact it backfires when you have to put this much effort into doing a cover of a fairly mediocre song. This is closer to doing a song that attracted some ridicule and saying it was a joke as an easy way out. Either way I don’t get it.

Al Gator, Ken.e., Vagabone and 9 others like this.
  12. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday 2.4/5

Meh.

grendel322, Ken.e., Vagabone and 9 others like this.
  13. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

I quite like The Smiths and Morrissey's first several solo albums but this song was never a particular favorite. Bowie's treatment of it is just too over the top. It might have been a funny joke to him but it isn't fun to listen to.
    2/5

14. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Bowie's best when he's Bowie, not Scott Walker, Morrissey or Frank Black. This song has a strange charm though.

3/5

15. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

As much as this song turns me off, you are right. It is an amazing vocal. I struggle with what went wrong.

16. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

If you are offering up "Mother" and suggesting primal scream therapy as a reason for DB's vocal, I don't get it.

If you are suggesting DB is screaming to mirror Morrissey's vocals and it still makes no sense ... OK. Right on.

17. NekoM

Another one of those unique qualities was when he cleaned up he reverted back closer to how he used to be before the craziness took over. Most people hate The Laughing Gnome, Gus Dugdgeon who did the engineering said there were outtakes where they ad libbed lines so obscenely using the gnomes voice that they were literally rolling on the floor laughing for hours. People take that track far to seriously but he was still at the point of reading ScFi comic books with Marc Bolan and coming with characters like Ziggy Stardust and Zinc Alloy.

Brian x, Ken.e., DTK and 5 others like this.
  18. Phil Turnbull

Phil Turnbull Forum Resident

I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday- oh dear, oh dear, oh dear: 0/5

Brian x, Ken.e., omikron and 10 others like this.
  19. Water Sprite

Water Sprite Forum Resident

Nite Flights - Am I going to suggest that this is the best cover version of Bowie's career? Yes nurse, yes I am! 5/5

Pallas Athena - Unfortunately, this annoys the flying fudge out of me. 1/5

Miracle Goodnight - At times I find this fun and enjoyable, other times it's a tad cheesy, but usually it's.. perfectly OK. 3.5/5

Don't Let Me Down & Down - I like the song, or rather Bowie's interpretation of it, a lot. Although I'm dropping half a point due to David getting a little overwrought towards the end. 3.5/5

Looking For Lester - A bland, listless and pointless instrumental that would be better served on a B-Side, or perhaps best heard in a lift/elevator in a two-storey building. 0.5/5

I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday - Tedious & Pompous. On the plus side, it's mercifully forgettable. 0/5

20. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday" - the original song isn't great, and Bowie's version is way over the top, but his singing is great, and I like it. 3/5

21. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, not a big solo Morrissey fan. I am not sure why, I did think the Smiths had a few good songs. Bowie does a great cover on this. I wasn't overly familiar with the original so I think it helped with my fondness.

Bowie sings it wonderfully, like it was made for his voice. It's a little over the top, but the song seems to call for it. It's a nice slight departure from the album's feel. What ever happened to Wild T, great solo.

Score 4/5

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday"

Harkens back to 70's Bowie ballads like "Rock and Roll With Me" but he didn't even write the damned thing so it's like he's covering himself filtered through Morrisey which on paper reads like some sort of nightmare scenario. I can't say that I don't like it, though. Bowie tackles it with gusto. I have to begrudgingly give it a...

3/5.

23. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

I don't know the Morrisey original so no metric to judge this by. I will say, that I got goosebumps on the opening vocal...there is something powerfully emotive about that initial burst of vocal that helps carry the song. The vocal is superb IMO. Yes, it's got the kitchen sink with the choir and rising tide of music, but somehow it just seems the right way to go.

I like this a lot - and I do like the joke of it being Bowie doing Morrisey doing Bowie.
    4/5

24. NekoM

There’s a pretty funny NIN paradox. Bowie called Pretty Hate Machine a terrific debut album, Trent Reznor admits to playing Telekon by Gary Numan extensively while recording it, Bowie hated Gary Numan

Ken.e., Cat People, DTK and 6 others like this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I wasn't necessarily referring to the screaming. Rather the tone of the music. At the outset, it's very similar to "Mother". Plus the fact that David's cockerel vocals are as unpleasant as John's screaming.

Brian x, Ken.e., omikron and 2 others like this.