Speed Of Life: David Bowie Song-by-Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prymel, Apr 30, 2023.

1. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"Real Cool World" - This song is so slight it's practically non-existent, but putting the programmed drums higher in the mix than Bowie's vocal is a sign of just how much confidence they had in this. In the end, it's just boring. And it takes forever to get started and it goes on forever. 2/5

Ken.e., Piiijiii, DTK and 9 others like this.
  2. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Always thought he was cringing inside throughout this from start to finish. AL is way OTT and has been waiting for the moment all her life. That’s entirely understandable but still ick.

Ken.e. and Putrifiers II like this.
  3. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

In some ways, BTWN was the first album of Bowie's second act, as someone above noted. Also, it was arguably the last album he put out before he was re-appraised in pop culture, before Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails helped to rehabilitate his career among the alternative crowd. (U2 may have already started that process to some degree.) As a result, it's sort of lost in the shuffle. It should arguably be a bigger album in his career, and at least has Jump They Say. And it's also awash in some strange covers. Not an album I've ever had a firm grip on, but there are moments that I quite like.

4. CN211276

CN211276 Forum Resident

Had not played Black tie white noise for years. Gave it a play as I knew it was next up here. Now I know why I had not played it for years.

Ken.e., alugjk, moomoomoomoo and 4 others like this.
  5. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The myriad of mixes of Real Cool World are a triumph of marketing over substance.
    It’s not a bad song deep down, a tad insubstantial perhaps, buts it’s a lightweight song from a very lightweight film. It’s the first film song from DB since Labyrinth and it reminds me of that in many ways. It’s not deep, it’s not especially cool, it is what it is. Nothing more nothing less.
    I quite like it but DB has a load more songs from these sessions that are way better.
    2/5

Ken.e., DTK, alugjk and 5 others like this.
  6. dba69

dba69 Forum Resident

real cool world
    2/5

quiet a disappointment when it came out. nobody was interested, no suprise with this little song of nothing.

freddie-tribute
    5/5

only for the fact that i was there and grinning to my mate during bowie's prayer: you know, it's bowie, he can do such stuff while nobody'll boo him.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Ken.e., Piiijiii, DTK and 7 others like this.
  7. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I remember liking Black Tie White Noise when it came out but wasn't blown away and so didn't listen to it a whole lot. I just relistened to it today and I quite like it. Many of the songs are too long by about 1 minute or so.

Ken.e., scarfaceclaw, alugjk and 6 others like this.
  8. sillyboyblue

sillyboyblue Forum Resident

Real Cool World

Never seen the film and this slipped right under my radar at the time of its release in 1992; never heard it on the radio and only came across it a few years later.

I quite like its vibe and the understated vocal; it’s an enjoyable listen, if nothing particularly special.

2/5

Ken.e., Vagabone, DTK and 6 others like this.
  9. sillyboyblue

sillyboyblue Forum Resident

Black Tie White Noise: Album Intro

I’ve always loved the lead-off single Jump They Say and its multitude of remixes; probably played those more than the actual album!

The promo video of mimed performances and interview segments was, at the time at least, an interesting way to experience the album. It was broadcast on BBC1 late one Friday night in December 93* and it was the first time I heard any tracks from the album that hadn’t been released as singles.

For me there are some real stand out tracks but again a smattering of lesser ones that make it feel a bit uneven, so as usual it’ll be interesting to see how it squares up with each track having a spotlight shining into its core.

*for anyone interested in minutiae, 11.20pm Friday 10 December 1993.

Ken.e., Piiijiii, Vagabone and 4 others like this.
  10. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

Real Cool World

Pretty slight. And way too long.

2/5

Ken.e., Jimmy Jam, DTK and 5 others like this.
  11. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

Black Tie White Noise

It's been a while since I played this. I own it on original vinyl and CD and used to have the three disc set, but sold it. Another case of the very promising lead single followed by a real hotch potch of a collection if I remember right. Some of the remixes around this album are great though.

Ken.e., Vagabone, DTK and 2 others like this.
  12. globule2

globule2 Forum Resident

Some of us remember when they too were a machine (of the Big Red variety) with all stars at all 8 starting positions.

+ Andy Kosko (if you played Strat-O-Matic)

Putrifiers II and omikron like this.
  13. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

This will definitely confuse you, he has 50 or 30 or 10 or 30 good songs to play live

Putrifiers II likes this.
  14. Mr RLP

Mr RLP Forum Resident

Real Cool World 3/5

It's ok. Liked it when it came out. Bought it when it came out. However, can't say I listen to it much these days.

Ken.e., Piiijiii, Vagabone and 6 others like this.
  15. Mr RLP

Mr RLP Forum Resident

Black Tie White Noise

A few notes:

1. Enjoyed listening to it on release.
    2. Jump They Say is one of my favourite Bowie tracks/videos and (in my mind) very much linked to songs from Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters in feel. Maybe...
    3. I feel that the album doesn't really hang together and has two very distinct styles which makes it an odd listening experience. At least TM and TM II sounded consistent...
    4. Possibly the worst album art? After Bowie looking healthy on the last TM tour here he looks old, anaemic and washed out. What's with the blue eyes?
    5. I think there are some good covers here - especially Nite Flights.

Ken.e., Vagabone, DTK and 5 others like this.
  16. globule2

globule2 Forum Resident

Are we sure that the Freddy with the spots was Buretti and not Mercury?

NekoM likes this.
  17. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Real Cool World
    I don't know what to say. It's so not Tin Machine that I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it so much because of that.
    I actually like it, it's awfully slight but I like this direction more than I like Tin Machine. Maybe that makes me shallow, but sure I'd dance to this - I probably should have played it louder to get the full effect! Mind you, I think it's too long - or I guess more correctly, there's not enough idea/variation here to sustain the song length.

3/5

18. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

BTWN is awesome.

That is all.

19. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Except the Reds have been making Never Let Me Down every year for the past many, many years. David has not.

:)

20. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

Catching up with:

You Better Stop

Not exactly something I'd like to hear again anytime soon but it ain't awful. I'd say if properly worked it could have been better than "Sorry" for the vibe of the album. Bit of generic blues. it's "O.K" though.

Blues Tunes

Just heard the very first version. This jam is actually more fun than "You Better Stop", for a little bit I thought of The Stooges just jamming for fun. It's of course no The Stooges but near the end gets a rather fun, if not particularly ground breaking vibe. I like it but seems to me the playing of it is, in this case, more fun than the end result. An alright jam.

21. JoeWild

JoeWild Forum Resident

It's Though

Only listened to the first and third version, Don't really dig the chorus on either but overall I preferred the first, I think I prefer his voice there.

I'm not entirely sure I dig the chorus to be fair, but some parts of the song are actually fun. Some parts, whether be his voice or the 50's rock throwaway make me think somewhat of his Ziggy days. An older Ziggy perhaps? At least on this first listen.

Sounds dated at times and at times almost wanting to go with the hard rock zeitgeist of the time before grunge took over, which ain't particularly something I dig but the song, as a whole is fine to me. I'm thinking is only the chorus keeping me at bay, otherwise I'd say does seem like it could have been on the album indeed.

I'm conflicted with this one due the repetitive chorus but I also feel it could be one of those growers. Definitely not ground breaking or anything. The fun parts are actually what will make me listen to this again some other time and re-assess but I don't think I'll be changing my mind much or at all on the chorus.

Oy Vey, Baby (Live album)

I haven't really listened to this live album. May do so soon. If there's video I think I'll go with that one.

22. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Oh Vey Baby 2/5
    Just played it as it's been a few years. If There Is Something is MUCH better on TM2. I Can't Read is nice. Skipped Stateside. You Belong is really inferior to the studio version.

Real Cool World 2.5/5

Great film. The song well.............

Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert

Loved seeing Ronson!

Black Tie White Noise

My memory is this is one of DB's worst (why did I buy the DE??!), but I will listen to the songs as we go.

It's Tough 1/5

23. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

My rankings through Tin Machine Oy Vey Baby

Ziggy 5/5
    Diamond Dogs 5/5
    Hunky Dory 5/5
    Santa Monica 5/5 (EMI UK promo cd; sound isn't good on other editions)
    Ziggy The Motion Picture 4.5/5 (would be a 5 with a decent mix & master)
    Man Who Sold The World 4/5
    David Live 4/5
    Nassau 4/5
    Low 4/5
    Alladinsane 4/5
    Lodger 4/5
    Scary Monsters 3.75/5
    Station To Station 3.75/5
    Pinups 3.5/5
    Stage 3/5
    Heroes 3/5
    Tin Machine Two 3.25/5
    Tin Machine One 3/5
    Space Oddity 3/5
    Let's Dance 3/5
    Live At La Cigale Paris (June 25, 1989) 2.5/5
    Serious Moonlight 2.5/5
    Tonight 2.4/5
    Glass Spider Live 2.3/5
    Tin Machine Oy Vey Baby 2/5
    Never Let Me Down 2/5
    Young Americans 1.5
    Deram 1.5/5

24. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Real Cool World
    Starts out quite bland and becomes increasingly mind-numbingly boring as the overlong track goes on and on...
    2/5

25. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Black Tie White Noise
    This came as quite a relief after years of terrible albums. But it is a jumbled mess and really only a handful of the songs are very good.