Speaking of the VAN MORRISON "Moondance" LP that we cut...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

I'm ready to buy this one the day it comes out.

2. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I did the same thing. Except the entry drug was Joni's 'Blue'.

Glad to hear that 'Moondance' will finally see the light of day! Now, if we could only get the members of Fleetwood Mac to sign some paperwork........

3. TimJo

TimJo New Member

I'm really looking forward to this one. Cramped writing, wiggly crossouts, symbols, a 1/2 db, these are all the things that make the difference. It's good to know the release is in such good hands...

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks. The stuff that interests me about reissue mastering (finding the correct mixes, the correct tapes, finding out what was done on earlier issues, etc.) drive Kevin Gray bonkers. He has no interest in that. That's my thing. HIS thing is getting a good cut from what he is given. This is why we make a good team. I do the homework and know what I want something to sound like. He makes sure that exact sound is cut onto a phonograph record for you to hear.

5. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I imagine that this is like CSI but with master tapes rather than bodies......

6. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

WOW Steve, well best of luck to you and Kevin on this. I can't wait to hear it! :cheers:

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

A shame about the damaged parts but I'm guessing we'll get the benefits of the new AQ wiring from the new mastering session?

Todd

8. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, you know the saying, "Time flies when you are having fun." Enjoy!

BTW, are you lowering the first song by 1/2 db because it is louder than the rest as has been done on other albums?

9. 13DoW

13DoW A concoction of conjecture and whimsy

In the December issue of Stereophile Michael Fremer states that he's been listening to a test pressing of Moondance mastered by Kevin. Was this a pressing from before the metalwork was damaged?
    He doesn't say anything about the sound in absolute terms, just in comparing different phono stages.

Cheers
    13th Duke of Wymbourne

10. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Agree wholeheartedly. I can never get worn out on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.