Soundstage Show Off Albums

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WildPhydeaux, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

2. DMonds

DMonds Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Pink Floyd - Animals

Not sure about The Wall...haven't listened to it for a few years, so might spin it up this evening.

Dave, WildPhydeaux and mreeter like this.
  3. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Masayoshi Takanaka The Rainbow Goblins has some great stuff on it.

4. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

The Tallis Scholars first recording of Allegri's Miserere is very good in this regard, as is "Pilgrimage to Santiago" by the Monteverdi Choir under John Eliot Gardiner.

Actually, I could compile a list just of choral recordings of music from that era...Pretty much all of the Tallis Scholars Gimmell recordings, a whole bunch of Hilliard Ensemble on whichever label and...and...

Thymallus, Mike-48 and WildPhydeaux like this.
  5. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

If you are looking for soundstaging effects, I always thought The Final Cut was the best of the Floyd albums. Good dynamics too.

GyroSE and WildPhydeaux like this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Marsalis' trumpet bursts into the sky like fireworks.

WildPhydeaux likes this.
  7. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder's "Talking Book" and "Innervisions". Both of these have a great soundstage, as well as dynamics. Both are, to me, must own albums.

8. Fritz Fernow

Fritz Fernow Forum Resident

The B 52s, "Party Mix" ! If you like the early B 52s, this is a must, 6 song EP.

MCM_Fan, ether-bored and WildPhydeaux like this.
  9. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Seconded. It's a favorite at my house.

Let me recommend another few that "most people don't listen to":

From this percussion album, try "Ostinato Pianissimo" by American composer Henry Cowell or "Ionization" by Edgard Varèse. Not just soundstage, but music that is fun and mind-opening:
    [​IMG]
    This from Wikipedia: The premiere [of Ionization] was at Carnegie Chapter Hall, an annex to New York City's Carnegie Hall, on March 6, 1933, conducted by Nicolas Slonimsky, to whom the piece was later dedicated. One critic described the performance as "a sock in the jaw".

From this gorgeous album of Schubert choruses, try "Die Nacht" (The Night") or "Liebe" (Love):
    [​IMG]

Some may recognize Eric Lichte, the conductor on this Cantus album, as a reviewer for Stereophile. Favorite tracks are "Lux Aurumque" (Golden Light) and "There is Sweet Music Here":
    [​IMG]

I enjoy Qsound and such as much as anyone. Still, I find more impressive hearing a natural soundstage, recorded and played back with as few production tricks as possible.

10. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Artificial 3D audio isn't used with classical - at least I've never heard a release that's used it. Much the same effect can be achieved with microphone technique, but that still involves random phase being captured. Many of the Chesky releases do this. I've processed a couple classical CDs with a 3D audio plug-in with rather good results, provided it's done with moderation. Generally this works best with non-pitched musical instruments.

Mike-48, WildPhydeaux and Tone? like this.
  11. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Simply recorded on stage in late 1958, you can "see" them move around, turn around, come forward and move backwards, etc., very interesting listening from a spatial standpoint.

[​IMG]

Thymallus, morinix, WDeranged and 2 others like this.
  12. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

NOT boring

13. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

For me, always Laurie Anderson's Big Science and Mr. Heartbreak, because there is so much quietness in those, and a lot of bang in Mr. Heartbreak. Also I use Suzanne Vegas 99.9F - crazy dynamics in that album. Been to a few demos bringing 99.9F and they always ask what on earth I'm playing, because I'm outside the "normal" demo box I guess.

PS: Oh, Kingston Trio ain't bad either.

14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Jorma Kouken's Blue Country Heart is a favorite of mine. You can almost see those guys sitting on a porch enthusiastically playing off each other on a few tracks. Infectious.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Thinking out of the confines of the traditional stereo soundstage for a moment, I'm days away from getting Yello's Point Atmos album into the basement. and I understand Boris Blank has his own solo project out there now as well, called Resonance.
    Certainly making the (At)most of the newer technology!

bever70 likes this.
  16. Lawrencer2003

Lawrencer2003 Musical Omnivore

“Companion” : Just arrived from Acoustic Sounds in Gold CD format. Holy S..t! Thanks for the recco. Glad I broke my vow of streaming abstinence for this. Indeed this is another excellent system demo record from Ms Barber & Co.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    mike catucci likes this.
  17. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Kraftwerk - Computer World

Vorlon, J-Flo, cut-out and 4 others like this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Poco - Legend (MFSL)

Just heard it and was surprised at the soundstage aspect of this one.

MCM_Fan, SoCalWJS, GyroSE and 3 others like this.
  19. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

The Tragically Hips "Scared" has a lot going on...great/interesting vocals and lyrics...nylon string guitars...great bass/percussion.All with their own place in the room.Pretty cool tune too:D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    timind, WildPhydeaux and mike catucci like this.
  20. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Great album, fantastic soundstage even via streaming. Spellbound sounds so spacious!

21. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

Here are two well-recorded albums with some impressive soundstage
    first:
    Harry Belafonte's Carnegie Hall--the Complete concert (recorded April 19-20 1959)
    the combination of the concert at Carnegie Hall, his (and supporting musicians) outstanding performance, (and the crowd!) the top-notch position of the microphones/recording of the concert, and then the mastering make for an amazing soundstage, especially on RCA's Living Stereo!
    [​IMG]

#2 would be Dream Academy's debut album from 1985!
    Life in a Northern Town is a standout sound staging song, but the highlight may be the song, "In Places on the Run"

great thing is that both of these can be found and had for a very reasonable price on vinyl--and often in excellent condition!
    [​IMG]

22. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The Classic Records pressing of Satchmo Plays King Oliver is indeed a fantastic sounding LP, but there was a bonus 45 that came with it that takes it to another level. The cut of St. James Infirmary puts Satchmo and the band in the room right in front of you.

JohnK

WildPhydeaux likes this.
  23. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Just started listening to these guys, pretty impressive recording and very wide and deep soundstage.
    [​IMG]

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Listening to Patricia Barber's Companion SACD rip as I type. Just a phenomenal sounding album as far as the sound quality and the music.
    I'm going to play Cafe' Blue next. All of Patricia Barber's album have excellent sound quality. I have all of the SACDs she has released and they are well worth buying IMO.

A song that comes to mind for soundstage and depth is the song Unbroken Chain from the album From the Mars Hotel by the Grateful Dead. The way the instruments move around is amazing. Great album as well.

25. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Thanks for that! Big Boris Blank fan but looks like I missed his most recent Resonance album.

Dillydipper likes this.