Soundstage Show Off Albums

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WildPhydeaux, Apr 2, 2024.

1. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just evaluating a new DAC I'm quite liking so far but have found it potentially doesn't "do" soundstage quite as well as my previous. Not looking to discuss DACs in this thread though...

I should take better notes or do memory exercises but I'm playing random albums in my library that have stood out in the past as having a good or interesting soundstage and I'm wondering about your favorites or suggestions.

Can be just super well recorded or ones where the engineer has "cheated" with QSound and/or played with phase.

I'll start:
    Roger Waters - Amused to Death
    Bill Frisell - East / West
    Shpongle - Have You Been Shrongled?
    Jimmy Smith - Root Down
    Niagara - Niagara
    Curtis Counce - Carl's Blues

Cheers,
    Robert

RobCos02330 and mreeter like this.
  2. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Roger Waters Amused to Death won’t work cause it’s recorded in Q Sound. So that is done with phasing and all sorts of other methods to greatly expand the soundstage.
    It’s super cool tho.

Unless this is just cool soundstage albums

TONY MAGS, Nakamichi and Ampexed like this.
  3. WildPhydeaux

Yeah, I know...

The Bill Frisell album I mentioned is not just well placed and mixed microphones either, they are playing with phase too - and, I believe, Bill does this during performances too which would be mind blowing!

So, yeah, not strictly ideal for checking a systems soundstaging ability, but so fun none the less...

Cheers,
    Robert

4. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Geezus.

just goes to show how much we sometimes don’t read well.
    I totally missed what you wrote about cheating. Duh on me.

super crazy sounding album.
    If I listen to a lot of the album tho, it gets tiring for some reason. Maybe it’s the phasing they use. Don’t know

TheAbsentMind and WildPhydeaux like this.
  5. WildPhydeaux

Agreed. Love it and it's amazing, as is Bill, but not a daily driver for me.

Cheers,
    Robert

Tone? likes this.
  6. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

Maybe a few less familiar. I’ll post specific tracks here.

Tennyson - Like What (lots of interesting soundstage movements and placement)

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan (very wide soundstage

Felix Laband - Whistling in Tongues (more weird placement and depth)

Nala Sinephro - Space 7 (fun phase manipulation)

Harris11235, Helom, Kyhl and 8 others like this.
  7. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

There are a ton out there.

so I’ll say which most people don’t listen to.

OPERA

yeah I know I know.

but put on something like The Marriage of Figaro - Rene Jacobs
    And you will be smiling ear to ear when you can pick out not just where the singers are on a huge stage beyond your speakers but the echo off the walls of the stage.

not to mention it’s a beautiful opera.

8. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Side 3 of The Wall is interesting (as is the entire album).
    On "Hey You" you can hear that you are in "Pink's" living room and can distinctly tell where the TV is and the open window letting in the sounds of cars driving by.

Supertramp's - Crime Of The Century has fantastic imaging with some real depth to it.

9. Lawrencer2003

Lawrencer2003 Musical Omnivore

Try Division Bell. Was spinning it on Vinyl yesterday. Mesmerizing. Also anything from the golden days of Alan Parsons project. I Robot first and foremost.

10. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Ben Harper - the will to live
    Perturbator - I am the night
    Robin Trower - in city dreams
    2-pac - all eyes on me
    Junko Mine - I wish you love
    The Future sound of london - lifeforms

11. WildPhydeaux

Some good stuff here guys, some you've reminded me to try and some new stuff.

@okc_craft - jeez dude, you nailed up my eclectic side. Nice! Now I'm gonna have to purchase one or two of those. Halfway through Whistling I Tongues I messed myself a little, thinking I had tubes crackling in my preamp...

I prefer the Buggs Bunny cover of Marriage of Figaro, but admit that is a pretty steller recording.

Cheers,
    Robert

mreeter and Mister Charlie like this.
  12. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

On last recommendation

Pino Palladino - Ekute (the horn blast at the beginning of the song always go way outside the speakers for me and the shaker in the intro should walk backwards, not fade out, which is hard for a lot of components to resolve)

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Well recorded classical is good for exploring imaging precision. How well the imaging allows you to hear individual instrument positions and even which row they are sitting in. It's easier to hear that style of imaging precision in chamber orchestra recordings than full massed orchestra recordings.

Good recordings of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos in high-res are good for this.
    One that I have is this on on Harmonia Mundi in 24/192: Release “Brandenburg Concertos” by J.S. Bach; Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, Isabelle Faust, Antoine Tamestit - MusicBrainz
    It's available on Qobuz: J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos, Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin - Qobuz
    And other sources.

There are parts of the Brandenburg Concertos where the theme gets passed around to different musicians like a hot potato. With a good recording like this and a good DAC you should be able to hear where each of the musicians who gets that hot potato is sitting. Which seat and which row.

14. WildPhydeaux

I don't listen to classical much at all. However I did used to study to the Brandenburg Concertos in university days. I wonder if ghosts of laplace transforms dancing through my noodle will distract me.

Probably past time to listen to them again and I'll try to follow the hot potato.

Cheers,
    Robert

15. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Jun Fukamachi - Quark

Paul_In_WA and WildPhydeaux like this.
  16. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Quadrophenia by The Who side 4 is quit an album with a lot of orchestra and rock mixed. It's a nice vinyl to test soundstage and imagining.

17. Murphy Srs

Murphy Srs Well-Known Member

This works well for just normal/pretty good old-fashioned stereo systems: - also small theatres/school aulas.

Lowrider75 and WildPhydeaux like this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Off the top of my head:

Monolake - Momentum
    Quicksand - Slip
    SRV - Couldn't Stand the Weather
    Echo & The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here
    Tina Brooks - Back to The Tracks

19. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucia:
    Friday Night in San Francisco
    and
    Saturday Night in San Francisco

20. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Most anything by Dire Straits. Telegraph Road and Calling Elvis in particular reach the walls convincingly while the intro for Money for Nothing is a great piece for dynamics as well as soundstage.

Wngnt90, DMonds, Dave and 6 others like this.
  21. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Electric Ladyland

Mike from NYC, iggyd, mreeter and 3 others like this.
  22. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Patricia Barber - Companion
    A live recording with amazing sound quality. The performance is in a small jazz club, and the ambiance of the room and the audience within it sound practically three-dimensional. If your system is resolving enough and you listen closely, for example, you can hear how the Leslie rotating speaker for Barber's Hammond organ is spraying its sound around the room.

23. sdc

sdc Well-Known Member

Gong--You

It's an extremely well-executed example of the lessons learned in Electric Ladyland School of Production (the album not the studio).

24. Lawrencer2003

Lawrencer2003 Musical Omnivore

While we’re are on ms Barber… Cafe Blue

25. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

Great thread. Going to be listening to some of these. I’m particularly interested in records recorded more or less live that try to capture the actual positions of the musicians.

WildPhydeaux likes this.