Sony SCD-XA777ES Optical Pickup Block Replacement (with photos)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Metralla, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I had never done any work w/ a soldering iron before, so I was a bit leery. I had to buy one at Radio Shack. It is a tiny bit of solder, but with a small magnifying glass it was easy to remove it. I'm also clumsy, but I managed to avoid burning myself, putting out an eye, etc.!

Doug

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002 Thread Starter

Thanks, Doug.

3. Metralla

4. RPhelps

RPhelps Forum Resident

repairs

thx for taking the time to post these pics and your expert documentary. :righton:

5. King!

King! Senior Member

Geoff, A word of thanks for your instructions, pictures and inspiration . I reduced myself to hoping I would get one sacd to play per day. Somehow I put up with this for at least a year. Who do I take this thing to? How much? It plays redbook cd's just fine. Single layer, no chance. I haven't heard Boston in a year!! I saw your post, felt enough confidence to give it a shot. Ordered the part from the same place you did. (great service) Got the part and started. all went well til I confused the part where the disc was still in the player. I made sure there was no disc but didn't realize that with disc or not that tray had to be open to proceed. Opened per your instructions and proceeded. A little patience and confidence was needed now. Your instructions were great! It was a fine challenge and a real joy to complete the task. Put it all together and tested. James Taylor Hybrid, read and played it like a champ! Without your post I don't know how long I would have put up with this. Your wisdom and patience sets a light for us to follow. Thank you for giving me my player! I am so happy! I love this forum!

Todd

6. Metralla

Happy to help. I appreciate your note.

I recently had a PM from a member in Italy who used my instructions to replace the optical block in his Accuphase - it uses the same Sony part. He was pleased to get it done - and I was delighted that my post was useful.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I received my replacement pickup from a Singapore Ebay seller this week, for $40 including shipping. It wasn't sealed but the safety solder is intact. I hope to be able to install it this weekend.

8. Metralla

Awesome price. I hope it goes well.

9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

...and slim fingers and good eyesight!
    :winkgrin:
    Doug

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

To my surprise (having only a little experience in assembling PCs), I managed to replace the pickup without destroying the player :). Many thanks Geoff!

The player plays fine the formerly problematic discs I have tried so far. Except one disc (Holst MFSL), on which the player previously couldn't even read the TOC of the SACD layer, which still only plays with massive dropouts.

So I have to test more hybrid discs to see how much the situation has improved. If only I had taken note where exactly the dropouts happened before ...

11. Metralla

I hope that's the only one. I would wait until you see how many problem discs emerge before doing anything with the alignment.

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

What's up with this alignment procedure? I have only replaced the laser pickup and done nothing else.

So far, I have discovered 3 hybrid SACDs (from around 500) which still cause playback problems (unable to read the TOC of the SACD layer, or dropouts during playback)

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I also had issues with the Holst SACD and a manager at MusicDirect told me at RMAF that it was a disc flaw. They gave me a replacement on the spot.

14. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Sorry to re-hash an old thread but this is GREAT!

My XA777ES just stopped reading SACD's a while ago. I was going to take it into a local repair facility but thought I should do some poking around before I drop it off. Glad I did! I found the KHM-230AAA on Ebay for about $40USD shipped. I've worked on some of my own equipment previously so I've no fear diggin' in.

So glad I found this site. Found a cool new forum and saved myself a boat-load of money. I can finally hear my SACD's again shortly...

15. Metralla

Thank you for posting. Happy that my thread is of service.

$40 is a very good price, although it's no doubt made in China. The optical blocks that were made in Japan are long, long gone. No worries though.

Let us know how the replacement goes. It will be good to be spinning those SACDs again.

16. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! for posting.

17. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Hi Geoff. Here's a link to the optical assembly. Just to make sure, this is the one I want?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170666003190&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks,
    ken

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

It's the correct part number and the picture looks like the one I bought.

My $40 replacement pickup that I installed almost a year ago (see posts above) is still doing fine. Some people warned that parts from such a cheap source could be fakes that fail quickly, but no problems so far. There are still a few hybrid SACDs (among 600 in my collection) that cause dropout problems, but I can live with that, as I have a second SACD player (Philips DVD963SA).

19. Metralla

Agreed - looks right. Man that's cheap.

20. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Got the replacement block. Mmmmm, hermetically sealed bag.

Well, if anyone wants to light a candle or say a novena it may help.....

[​IMG]

21. Metralla

Looks good - mine came in a box, but I paid a lot more. Looks like a somewhat antistatic bag.

22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I wonder want the colors on the right side mean. Mine had those too.

23. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I'd imagine they denote different QA tests done on the complete unit.

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Nice block!

25. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Actually, mine also came in a box but it's not in the picture...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.