Sony SCD-XA777ES Optical Pickup Block Replacement (with photos)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Metralla, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I tip my hat to you. After my Sony started mistracking, I considered doing what you eventually did, and took the cover off the player. I immediately realized that it was not to be. In the words of that great philosopher Clint Eastwood, a man's got to know his own limitations!

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002 Thread Starter

That's a line I can live by. ;)

3. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Nice going.

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Thanks Geoff for this extremely useful thread. My XA777 has problems with about 5% of my hybrid SACDs, and if this gets worse, I'll have to have it repaired too.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I will likely get the Sony 5400 for my next SACD player when I can afford it. I've been very impressed with the sound quality on TommyTune's 5400-both red book and SACD are sublime.

6. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

The SACD optics were skipping on my unit after 6 uses when purchased new. It was
    under warranty and a pain to haul it 60 miles to the service center and pick it up.
    The unit was still under warranty. That was 6 years ago

It's been working great since!

7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Thanks for the detailed instructions, Geoff. My XA777ES stopped reading hybrids the other day, and I ordered the part (it's now up to $196, including tax). I successfully installed it yesterday, and all is good (so far!).

Mine came without instructions, too, so your post here was invaluable. BTW, I sent you an e-mail which you can ignore. I couldn't figure out how to get the tray out of the way, then realized that your step to get the CD out is required to move the tray.

Incidentally, while my XA777ES was out of service, I swapped in my Oppo 980H, which I usually use in my HT for DVD and to send SACD and CD direct via HDMI to my receiver. In that setting, I like the Oppo. I was curious how it would compare to the Sony in my 2ch system, where it would have to use its own DACs and send the signal via analog.

There was no comparison. The Oppo was harsh and "in your face" on both SACD and especially CD. So, I'm very happy to have the Sony back in service.

Thanks again,
    Doug

8. dougotte

Mine has always read the SACD layer only if it was previously set to SACD. Otherwise, say if I insert a hybrid after playing a CD, I have to remember to set it to SACD. Otherwise, it defaults to the CD layer. I haven't found a menu setting to have it always default to the SACD layer.

Doug

9. dougotte

I paid about as much as if I had sent it to Sony (their latest estimate online is $219). However, Sony is infamous for treating repair items roughly (I've read many reports of original boxes being trashed and components returned with scratches and/or dents), and I didn't have to forgo my XA777ES for several weeks.

Doug

10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I sent my XA777ES to the Hanover "house of horrors" twice. The first time they fixed what was broken but broke something else. I sent it back and they fixed the thing they broke and broke something else...:realmad: My dealer, Oade Brothers, graciously straightened the deck out. I was unwilling to send it to Sony again.

I guess I'm lucky that Sony didn't trash my box or do cosmetic damage.

11. peppe1982

peppe1982 New Member

pickup sony

i have a accuphase dp-78 , with have a pick-up laser sony khm-230aaa , There is no single model optical khm230aaa sony? because I said c'èa a model that has Uncode J1 final ....... who can help me thank you, pla[​IMG]ce a photo of the player Accuphase

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

My local Sony Center informed me that replacing the laser pickup would cost 360€. This may appear very expensive compared to the $200 indicated here, but the european online sources I found for a new spare KHM-230AAA indicate a price of 250-300€ alone.

But before I decide to have my player repaired, I wanted to know from those who had this done if this replacement has completely solved their hybrid SACD playback problems.

Thanks

13. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Very nice pics!

14. dougotte

I'll answer with a qualified "yes." It's been 6 months since I replaced mine (didn't realize it had been so long until I saw my earlier posts). Since then, it's choked on the TOC only 3 times. Once was a very scratched GYBR, and I think my Oppo doesn't like that one either. I don't remember the other 2 discs, but they were in good shape. I resolved the issue by power cycling the player with the disc inside.

I don't know if these issues mean that the player could go bad again or not.

Anyway, I'm buying a 5400ES, and I hope it won't develop the same problem.

Doug

15. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Excellent work :)

Thanks for posting Geoff :thumbsup:

16. Metralla

Surely you could get someone to buy one for you here and send it over.

Yes.

But for God's sake man - do it yourself. I bet you can find the KHM-230AAA for under $200 here, and you can install it yourself in a couple of hours.

Here you go - this is where I bought mine, I think.

Attached Files:

• khm.jpg
      khm.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I re-read your instructions. I had thought soldering was required, which I have never done before on electronics (only on bigger electric cables). So the soldering iron is only necessary to remove the transport safety? No soldering to install the replacement part? Are the cables simply plugged into the board?

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

19. Metralla

Ah, sorry. Yes.

No. No soldering is required to remove the old component.
    No soldering to install either.

Alright, that sounds obscure.

Basically there is a shorting bridge made of solder on the new laser assembly, so static electricity generated in storage and shipping does not damage sensitive parts. You need to remove that. So there is only desoldering. ;)

20. Metralla

Those are all no doubt genuine. The original part was made in Japan and the original spare was also, but those have most likely all been used. Almost everyone is going to get a part made by Sony in China. This pickup was used in many different models -a huge range. So it's extremely common.

I would ask the Accuphase guy to show you a close up that says made in Japan.

Otherwise, Chinese it will be.

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

It did for me.

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

If you are going to take apart the transport to replace the laser, I advice also replacing the spindle motor at the same time. The most common part to fail on transports is usually the spindle motor, followed by the laser and then belts.

In the case of the 777es, you would be changing a sled motor.

23. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Brilliant job Geoff!

You need a very steady hand and a good pair of magnifying glasses for all that work.

My unit still works great since Sony replaced the SACD optical while it was still under warranty over 6 years ago. I currently have put it in storage since my 5400 arrived.

24. Metralla

I'm not surprised.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.