Sony SCD-1/777ES firmware update: my DIY project

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Thanks Tony!

I agree.... Sony really needs to get their act together.

Not to hijack this thread or anything but I received my DVP-S9000ES from Sony today and I could not believe how lousy they boxed my unit back up. My OEM box (which was like new) was housed in poorly taped, over sized box with next to nothing for packing material. I just about freaked when I picked it up and heard it sliding around inside. I spent $35 in packing material and about an hour of my time to package it properly before I shipped it out. :shake: Thank goodness everything checked out o-kay..

None as of yet... Since I've had the SCD-777ES for only a short period of time, I have not been not able to go through my entire SACD collection. I wanted to do this upgrade just to avoid any static problems that I could run into in the near future.

2. zero cool

zero cool New Member

I havent had much time to tear back into it. But now that i have a chip to install, i will be making another foray into the depths of the insides!

I plan on removing the sled motor completly, and doing some bench test's to see if the motor itself is making noise. a drop of oil might be needed. then next i plan on damping 2 of the gears with some grey silicone on both sides to see what that does. I may evern try and coat the aluminum gear block with a bead of silicone to see if that doesnt help damp some of the gear noise through the base. I will let you know what i find.

Zc

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Yes, please keep us updated. The motor does make some noise when ran by itself on 12V, but it still should not be that loud. I've lubed the white gears before, but it didn't seem to help. I have never lubed the motor itself. Is that even an option?

PM me if you need access to the service manual to tear apart the pickup assembly, but it sounds like you might already have that part figured out ;)

4. zero cool

zero cool New Member

I Installed my Firmware chip last night and everything went well and works great. the hardest part of all of it was getting that little black cover off and back on the chip. I knew it pushed to the left but i was sure how hard. so with a little finess it came right off. new chip dropped right in and then i lined up the cover and couldnt get it to go back on. I was scared to push on it any harder. So i found if i used 4 fingers, two in the front edge to push back, and two on the back to push down, it went on with a little force and clicked into place.

Now i am making all that sound harder then it really was. but i was being REALLY cautious as i did not want to break the cover or my new player! I higly reccomend a grounding strap!

Zc

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Excellent!! See, I toldya it wasn't so tough ;)

6. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Thanks for the tip zc.. :thumbsup:

7. Himitsu

Himitsu New Member

Thanks Oyama, Global dont have stock in this moment and they told me will have it again 4 weeks later, I'll try to call MTC or wait for ZC's good news.

8. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

You're welcome! :)

9. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I would like to report another successful V2.53 chip upgrade here! :thumbsup: The hardest part of it all was definitely putting back that darn chip cover. I spent a least 15min trying to figure out how that thing went back on...

I also noticed that my chip arrived with the correct P/N marked on the baggy. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm really not sure if this is of any great value to you guys in regards to your noise problem, but I have downloaded (cost me $5) one of Sony's Service Bulletins for the SCD-1/777ES, with the subject heading "Loading Panel Assembly won't Open or Mechanical Noise Present When Opening or Closing". Their solution to the problem is to add a Copper Leaf Sheet to the base (joint) of the Panel Assembly. If any of you are interested, PM me and I'll e-mail it to you free of charge (2 page document).

Thanks again Sam for starting this thread!! :edthumbs:

10. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Just a quick note that the above Sony Service Bulletin only affects units with the following serial number ranges listed here:

SCD-1: 800001-800150
    SCD-777ES: 800001-801301

Thanks zc for bringing this to my attention...

11. zero cool

zero cool New Member

UPDATE: My Eprom Burner Arrived from Hong Kong today! I have succesfully run the first batch of tests and copied a V2.40 chip. I will be running further tests and an live test shortly of a V2.53 chip. Anyone need a V2.53 that wants to be a beta tester?

12. zero cool

zero cool New Member

Houston we have lift off!

Well I now have chips available to anyone that wants one. Please contact me off list.

Zc

13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Good show. :righton: :righton: :righton:

14. zero cool

zero cool New Member

Well MY SCD-1 has been running one of these chips now non stop since the 7th. i have even repeatedly left the machine on overnight etc and it performs flawlessly. and just to reiterate. these are the EXACT same Brand, Make and Model of Chip from Sony. absolutly indistiguishable from OE. I have this worked out with just enough to recover my cost and keep one for myself.

I am also looking at having some extra Pucks manufactured from brass. i think i can get the cost to be about the same if not less then Sony.

And for anyone that has lost there remote. I have a cool solution for you! How about a Sony AX-4000 Touch screen remote pre-programmed with the SCD-1 remote code in it! and for about $50-75.00 less then a Sony Factory remote! add that Sexy blue touch screen remote to your setup! email me for details.

And i am dreaming of a matching remote controlled Line Level controller! I dont know if i can make that happen but i am dreaming of it anyway!

I dont do this for profit. Usually i work the deal so i can get something for myself out of the proccess and help others along the way.

Zc

ndtien likes this.
  15. Miklos

Miklos New Member

Hi to everyone,
    I'm new here. I have a SCD777ES player from 1999 with serial#: 801012 ,a pretty early example. The Eprom version # is 230. I didn't experienced any burst noise problem's with it, but may be I don't have the right (wrong) disc. On the other hand the player's TOC reading is incredibly slow. It regularly takes 15-20 sec. to read a redbook Cd's TOC. Is this normal? Could that be fixed with the updated eprom?
    Regards, Miklos

16. Tony Plachy

Welcome Miklos! :wave: Good news, your TOC reading is perfectly normal, most of us who own SCD-1's or SCD777ES's consider it a badge of honor to have such a slow TOC reading. :D You are in very good company here (if I do say so myself) with many other owners of these two units. Firmware version 2.30 is old (my unit came with 2.40). The main problem on some later date SACD's is that if they were not authored by Sony you can get a noise burst at the end of the disc that in some systems could be harmful to the speakers. The SACD's that I have that had the burst before I did the up grade to 2.53 were several of the SACD's by The Who (all are multiple disc sets).

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

ZC,

I sent you a PM.

Lee

18. Miklos

Miklos New Member

Tony,
    Thanks for the reply. I might look around here in Toronto for the updated Eprom.
    Miklos

19. Tony Plachy

Get with Khorn on this forum, he is in Toronto and has done the up grade.

20. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

BTW, I recently had my 777ES upgraded to VSE level 5+ by Bill Thalmann of Music Technology. If you can afford this upgrade, it is well worth it. Fantastic improvement. IMO, it narrows the difference between RBCDs and SACDs, and SACDs to vinyl.

I was going to have Bill install the firmware chip during the upgrade, but he ran out. However, I have never noticed the burst problem. When does it happen?

21. Tony Plachy

Do you have a link to Bill, see my earlier post as to when it happens, you can get an upgrade chip from zerocool on this forum, instalation is easy, 15 minutes max.

22. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Bill Thalmann: [email protected] Tell him I sent you. (Jay N., not Ted Bell :D )

Tony, I do have the Who RAH, only listened to it once and didn't notice any issue then. I hesitate to fix a problem I don't have, but I'll recheck the SACD and maybe contact zerocool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.