Sonny Rollins' "Way Out West" CD -- which version to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Interesting. It seems that many people here prefer the Sax-mastered gold discs. Like many reviews here, I didn't detect that it was close with many people, though I may be remembering incorrectly. Somehow, I missed all those gold discs, so I would take anything just to hear them.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I had the Freedom Years box and didn't like the sound at all. Compared to individual CD versions (OJC and AP) of some of the albums that are included in the box it sounded harsh and compressed to my ears. I sold it.

3. I find them both outstanding but lean towards the Sax.

4. bw

bw Forum Resident

I don't have the new remaster, but I do have a free download of an OJC sampler that Amazon just posted.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Jazz...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1275575915&sr=8-1

I compared "I'm An Old Cowhand" on this version with the old OJC CD. The new remaster has a ton of echo on the sax. It really bleeds through to the right channel. It is almost a distraction. The old OJC cd has very little echo to the right channel.

Based on this, I give the nod to the old OJC CD.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

What's wrong with the silver MFSL CD? Did they not use the original master or something?

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There's nothing wrong with the MFSL (MFCD 801) as far as I'm concerned, it's still my favourite version.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The MFSL is the best digital version I've heard. Unlike the AP SACD and some other reissues, it has no added reverb.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The only problem is, no one can find a copy. I don't even have one.. Wish I did. Same for the JVC with the alternate cover photo..

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

MFSL on Amazon

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks for the response Steve. I figured you compared the MFSL with the JVC and preferred the JVC for some reason.

11. I have both of these AP Gold CD's (not the SACD), and I do like them both.

I also like the tube-mastered Sax version a little better, but both are great.

I also have the silver MFSL which is also very very nice.

And then I have what I believe is the 1st Japanese pressing which is also good. And a very early WG pressing which (IIRC) replicates the 1st Japanese pressing. These two have the alternate takes which are not on the other releases I mentioned.

This is one of my favorite Jazz albums, certainly in my top 10 group. I think it is very well recorded and sounds very nice. and lifelike.

12. Steve Hoffman

I think the album is a bit overrated but so what? Sonny needs a piano in there sometimes. The "empty" feel is good but wears thin after a while. On the other hand, we should be glad that so many versions are out there. It was my understanding that the OP wanted a version actually in print. If so, what are the choices?

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Is it VDJ-1551 mastered by Daniel Hersch?

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In my opinion Rollins made some of his best recordings without a piano: the A Night at the Village Vanguard session for Blue Note and the The Bridge date for RCA, for example.

There's a whole list of available versions on Amazon.

15. There was no Lone Hill (Andorra) issue but Essential Jazz Classics (Barcelona) put an edition out with that cover in 2007, and it includes three alternate takes and a 16 page booklet (with original liner notes and Ralph J. Gleason's Down Beat 5 star review.).

I picked up Sonny Rollins 'Way Out West' & 'Clifford Brown With Strings', both with extra tracks and both on EJC, and am happy enough with the sound quality. Maybe other issues containing this music sounds superior/different to the EJC's, but I'm probably never going to be in a position to compare.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Like Lone Hill Jazz "Essential Jazz Classics" is also one of those "grey area" European labels that take advantage of the European 50-year copyright rule. They don't lease any of their releases from the owners of the rights and they don't pay any royalties.

Jackie P likes this.
  17. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

This edition is a straightforward grey-market clone of the OJC. Only the cover art and liner notes are different.

Also East Broadway Run Down, a personal fave.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's funny, it's one of my least favourite Rollins dates. The title track is an example of endless noodling in my opinion. To each their own, I guess :)

19. triple

triple Senior Member

I have both. The JVC I do not listen to anymore due to obnoxious track list. I can send it to you free of charge. If interested, please send me a PM.

I am keeping the MFSL though. :)

20. Yes.

21. 'Grey area clone'?

Is there any difference in sound quailty between the OJC & the EJC?

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That depends on how you define "legit". As I said earlier, they take advantage of the European 50-year copyright rule, so in that sense it's legit in Europe but not in the United States. Besides, they don't pay royalties.

23. Steve Hoffman

Legit? I don't want to buy a CD that is made from another CD. Why bother?

I'm sure to some it's wonderful that some things are now PD over there but as I've written before, it really mucks up what the original source is for the music or movie.. Might as well just have a friend make you a CD-R. Probably better quality because it hasn't been "mastered" again.

24. In this case it would have to be "Legit, Euro style".

25. bw

bw Forum Resident

Agreed.

And then Fantasy (Concord now), the company who did all the work on these, gets nothing in return. On top of that, as they are struggling to sell cd's they take most of the OJC catalog out of print. And then some grey market company swipes thier work and makes a profit off of it. Not cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.