Sonny Rollins' "Way Out West" CD -- which version to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This album exists on CD in many great forms.

The VDJ CD shown above is nice, it also has the three alternate takes.

For the main album, my preferred version is the Doug Sax mastered (with tube equipment) APO Gold CD, but it all depends on your preference.

I also have the Bernie Grundman mastered (with solid state equipment) APO Gold CD, the silver MFSL and the APO SACD (that one I don't like very much).

I also have a West Germany CD of "Way Out West Plus" which looks exactly like the VDJ copy shown above (the CD label also). The catalog number of that one is CDCOP 006, and I am quite sure it has the same mastering as the VDJ 1st Japanese pressing. That WG CD says "Not licensed for sale in the USA & Canada".

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

No mastering credit?

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It's the cover only used for the stereo first pressing issued from the 'Stereo Records'. The great vinyl record all the way and a must have for any jazz fan & audiophile.
    A decade ago it was not that rare. How is it these days?

4. None.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The gold CD was mastered twice? That's odd. Is one harder to find than the other?

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Both Way out West and Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section were remastered in two ways at AP - by Doug Sax and Bernie Grundman separately. The Sax versions were CAPJS 008 (Rollins) and CAPJS 010 (Pepper). The Grundman's reissues were CAPJG 008 and CAPJG 010.

7. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Way Out West was mastered twice for AP, first by Bernie Grundman then Doug Sax, as a personal request from Chad at AS. I prefer Doug Sax's mastering as well, I sold my copy with Bernie's mastering once I finally found the mastering by DS. In my experience, the pressing with Doug's mastering is much harder to find. I have the VDJ and the MOFI silver, Doug's mastering is my favorite over all of them.

8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

That is a gray market CD on Lone Hill Records. Generally their CDs are to be avoided. As far as I know it is just a copy of the OJC.

9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Another vote for the VDJ.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

That's what I thought, too, but here's a slight variant for an SACD (photo from Ebay). Is it legit?

Attached Files:

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes, it is...

12. audiomixer

I also have the JVC XRCD version. Any comments of the sound quality of this disc?

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

As far as the original poster's question: I've had good ol' MFCD 801 since the dawn of time, and never felt a need to replace it. Having said that, I've never been disappointed with the sound on a VDJ of classic Contemporary/Prestige/Riverside material, so that's probably a safe way to go, too.

14. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I have both versions of the XRCD. It's a little bright and I prefer the 2nd XRCD for its inner detail. I only have the original mono LP, so cannot compare the sound in terms of stereo. I find the Grundman AP bright as well, the Doug Sax AP version has more reverb, but, is probably easiest on the ears. It's been awhile since I've listened to all of the ones I have. I'm ambivalent towards the MF disc, and I have not heard the JVC with the alternate graphics (I don't have the OJC either).

15. KeithH

Thanks for the info., guys. There is a gold CD on eBay currently for $150, and it's the Grundman mastering.

Thanks, Maggie. I wasn't aware of that version.

16. audiomixer

How can I tell what version I have? Thanks!

17. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

As I recall, the 2nd version is designated as an XRCD2, and should be a gold disc (I'll need to double check, as I have 2 versions of the XRCD Saxophone Colossus in which the later version uses a new glass master--the packages on those have a glossy and matte finish and the discs might be similar) and memory has a funny way of being faulty.

18. audiomixer

Thanks...it appears I have the first pressing.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

WOW! I didn't know that.:bigeek:
    http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/406

20. I like the VDJ and the AP Gold (Grundman). I didn't know that there was a Doug Sax version of this title out as well, if I can judge by the other Sax AP Golds I already have this would be the version to get.

It just never stops. :sigh:;)

21. You are quite right, I own both and they both have the same peak levels and sound the same to me. I've only ever seen the West German pressing once, the one I bought whereas I've seen three or four of the VDJ.

-s1m0n-

22. KeithH

So true. I would like to find the Sax version. For now, I have the MFSL version, plus I located the VDJ disc online last night.

Is the SACD to be avoided? It doesn't seem to be getting much attention here.

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The Analogue Productions SACD has some added reverb, which rules it out for me. It's sounds fine only as long as you haven't heard a "dry" version.

I only keep it for the bonus takes. My preferred version is the 45rpm LP set.

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Haven't heard the AP issues of this at all. Wife has the old JVC Japan CD which sounds superb. The MoFi was very nice sounding but not as good. Note: The Stereo Records original vinyl is scarce in nice shape relative to the demand for it. The last decent copy I saw (VG+ shape) had a $45 asking price 15 years ago. Wish I had bought it. I bought a West German XYZ LP of this which sounds nice 5 years ago as a remainder. Paid $4 for it new.

25. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

There is a 9 track OJC remastered in 24 bit in 2003. The catalog number is OJC20 337-2 and it was done at ZYX studios with an Apogee PSX-100. Avoid it like the plague!

On CD, the MoFi sounds great and the absolute best version is the 45RPM that Steve did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.