Some more JSP Boxes.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robin L, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

You have a point, C6. I don't know how it would be possible to prove the actual theft, much less its source, without first-hand evidence we are not likely to get. I do find the timing suspect, though. I mean, Revenant comes out with a Patton set, then JSP comes out with a Patton set. Mosaic puts out a Django set, then JSP puts out a Django set. As I said, I've heard from others that there are sonic differences between the corresponding sets, but none that can't be explained by a little re-EQ. (I haven't done the comparisons myself, so I wouldn't know.) But Steadman's refusal to name his mastering engineers just clinches it for me. Maybe they do cannibalize different sources. I don't know. But I know I won't buy their "no-name" products. They ripped off somebody's work, that's for sure.

2. RZangpo2

Hold the phone; I may owe bluesbro an apology. I've been listening to the Savoy and JSP Bird sets tonight. I've only listened to one CD's worth of each, but there is something funny going on, that's for sure. So far, I would give the nod to the Savoy set. It's hard to believe that the JSP set is Kendall's work; not if he's still using the analog remastering techniques he learned at Davies's knee, anyway. It is rather bright and airless, as if digital NR and possibly EQ had been overused. The Savoy set confesses to using CEDAR, but it seems to have been applied with a very light hand. Some tracks are overbright, but not all. Overall it's a pretty creditable job, it seems to me. On the other hand, I can't figure out what Kendall's been up to. :confused: Could it be that someone took his transfers and ran them through some sort of DSP? A travesty, if so.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

This reminds me of what happened to Keith Hardwick's transfers of Artur Schnabel's Beethoven Sonata set on EMI. The LPs were a bit bright and harsh, but full of detail and generally honest. The CD set was an airless "Shrink-Wrapped" travesty. Wonder what's happening to the Mark Obert-Thorne series on Naxos? They stopped appearing about a year ago. I'm left hanging in the air over this one, as I've bought all up to volume 7. Great transfer work on the Naxos Schnabel set, by the way.

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

:agree: :agree: :agree: I was very very dissapointed with this set, I never play it anymore.

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

Did they even use the same sources? I would think that Kendall used original 78s while the Savoy set had access to the original parts...

6. RZangpo2

I would assume the same thing. However, better sources is no guarantee of a superior final product. Take the Satchmo set. I'd rather listen to Davies's set than Sony's any day.

7. LAL

LAL Forum Resident

:righton: Thanks for the lists RZangpo, there's a (big) bunch more I've yet to get.

Here are the recent/more recent Jazz Oracle releases all remastered by John R T:
    ...and a few more from Frog Records, again remastered by John R.T.
    DGF 57 & 58 were probably just released in the past month - I don't see them in John R.T's website as having been remastered by him. Can anyone confirm?

8. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

I have and love the Satch and Django sets.

Any verdicts on the Blind Willie McTell box? I was looking at that one next, especially if it's an improvement over the Sony double I have now.

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'd like to get the Memphis Jug Band set. I believe they're compiled from the Frog label's discs that were remastered by John RT Davies.

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Autumn bump

11. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Picked up a nice JSP set of Papa Charlie Jackson.

[​IMG]

Scope J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.