Smile: stereo or mono?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PetSmile

PetSmile Forum Resident

'Mono purists' baffle me. Listen to some of the Disk 2-5 material, it's far superior to the main tracks sonically. Listen to Pet Sounds in true stereo for comparison as well. If Smile is mixed (where possible) in true stere, it's depths would be opened up further. Just listen to the ending part of My Only Sunshine alongside the same bit on the stereo Heroes and Villains (Sections). H&V in mono sounds **** compared to the stereo mix. Although, in both, the vocals drown out the backing track badly.

Stephen Desper's study videos on H&V, Cabin Essence etc. shows just how much better Smile works in stereo, and that Disk 1 needs to be remastered. A lot of the tracks can easily be don in stereo as well; for others they can use Stereo Extraction. Smile was released in mono, so surely people who love mono can stop putting down the idea of a stereo mix now.

2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

@Tristero

22:28 - 22:54

Something you'd greatly appreciate.

3. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

There used to be a site called "Smile 2.0". I can't seem to find it now to post a link (maybe the copyright police busted them). They had numerous incarnations of SMiLE (I call them "fan mixes"). I downloaded one of them and it was stereo beginning to end. I don't have the track list memorized, it on a jump drive in my car at the moment. It sounded more complete than the "official" mono version which had many unfinished sections.

EDIT:

Doh! It's Smile A.D. The Beach Boys SMiLE A.D. ยป

It was their 2.0 version that I downloaded.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Interesting tidbit: 22:28 - 22:54!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

Those sweet harmonies. :love: Hopefully we receive a proper Stereo mix someday.

6. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

The fans have all the parts, why didn't Capitol use them?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd have preferred a 2011 stereo mix over mono. I'd most likely have preferred mono over a 1966 stereo mix, had one existed. If that makes sense.

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I wonder where they got those vocals from exactly. That's the most complete vocal take I've ever heard for "Child".

Bring on a complete stereo remix!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

I never understood that. If memory serves me correct the Purple Chick tape was also a Stereo mix.

10. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Yes it was

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  11. TheOneBeatleManiac

TheOneBeatleManiac Well-Known Member

I have been working on a SMiLE stereo since last November/December, and though progress has been very slow (due to doubts on my stereo mixing and some tracks/overdubs are either: only available in mono, locked with other tracks, missing or incomplete, plus personal commitments), I intend to finish it before January.

It is based on that 12-track list that was given to Capitol (with I'm In Great Shape omitted as, what we have available is practically useful as a link piece only), trying to make the album to sound as close as possible to a 1967 release. This means hard-edits, most songs ending in fade-outs (still debating if Wonderful and Da Da should end in fade-out), no crossfades, no pitch and speed alterations, and no syncing or use of material not recorded during the sessions (including demos) - with the exceptions being the lead vocal of Cabin Essence and Brian's lead vocal demo on Surf's Up.

I have been doing stereo tests on those pieces/songs only available in mono, and so far:

H&V verses (cantina version): Isolations can be made so that there can be three tracks to work with: backing track, the lead vocal (with backing track leakage), and backing vocals (that appear during the second and third verses). Stereo options are very limited and might not be confortable.

Wonderful: Lead vocal isolation is possible (with backing track leakage), though there are some instrumental and vocal overdubs that are not on either the session backing track, nor the stereo backing vocals montage, so those will stay with the lead vocal isolation. Stereo options are also very limited and might not be confortable as well.

Child Is Father Of The Man: Isolation of the vocals is possible, with the possibility of up to three isolated vocal tracks.

Good Vibrations: So far, I have extracted the first verse and two-thirds of the first chorus, with convincing results. I have yet to see if I can extract more vocal tracks from the chorus and later sections.

Cabin Essence: Isolation of the lead vocal is possible. Yet to see if Dennis buried vocal is possible to isolate.

I do have a small teaser (from March of this year) of my SMiLE stereo album here where, among many stereo teases, I include a stereo test of Child Is Father of the Man and stereo Good Vibrations:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  12. Natural E

Natural E Forum Resident

Love this! Great job! Do both!

TheOneBeatleManiac and Aftermath like this.
  13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Sounds awesome. Seriously.

TheOneBeatleManiac likes this.
  14. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

That doesn't mean WE have to be.

Paul K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.