Sisters of Mercy - Mofi Silver series "First and Last and Always"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Yes it was always a pretty murky sort of sound from that Lp but it was all the rage at parties I was at many moons ago. That recording has a troubled history, much like the band that made it. :righton:

2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Have you heard the original mixes? They're fairly snappy!

3. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I just found an original Dutch pressing of FLAA for $10. I like more than I do the MOFI. There seems to be way more punch.

4. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I'm spinning my original UK vinyl of this right now. It is (as I remembered it) quite a cheap sounding recording. I don't think remastering would change that much TBH. All that mid '80s digital reverb isn't helping anyone. I can remember being really disappointed when it came out - I'd heard them doing 'Marian' on a 'Whistle Test' TV spot and it just sounded so much more intense than the LP.

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The original uses different mixes, which are punchier :)

jimhb likes this.
  6. C.Syde65

C.Syde65 New Member

All the mixes are the same for both versions of the album, except the mixes of "Black Planet", "No Time to Cry", "A Rock and a Hard Place", and "First and Last and Always" are different.

Although the original mixes weren't re-released until 2006, the original mix of "No Time to Cry" can be found on the Sisters of Mercy compilation album "A Slight Case of Overbombing". However it fades a couple of seconds before the copy that was released on the 2006 reissue of "First and Last and Always".

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Possession is also a different mix for the Japanese vinyl, which is where those other re-mixes originated.

8. C.Syde65

C.Syde65 New Member

Didn't know that, as I've only ever heard the British and Japanese CD versions of the album.

9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

There was never a "British" CD pressing, they all come from Germany. Both the German and Japanese CDs use the same mixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.