Sisters of Mercy - Mofi Silver series "First and Last and Always"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a Sisters geek and have read this thread with great interest :)

I just got hold of the new Mofi release of F&L&A and am listening to it now. I must say it sounds wonderful, but I'm currently unsure as to which masters have been used.

There were originally two versions of the album, one which contained the original mixes and was release on vinyl in Europe (and America I think) and re-released on CD in 2006 by Rhino. The second version is known as the Japanese version, this was released in Japan on vinyl and all subsequent CD versions (including the 1988 CD versions) were mastered from these Japanese mixes because the originals were supposedly lost. Eldritch's 1992 remaster of the album is sourced from the Japanese mixes. The exception to this is of course the 2006 Rhino CD which utilises the original mixes.

The way to tell whether you are listening to the original mixes or the Japanese ones is by listening to the title track. If it opens with a reverse snare and proceeds to have the drum machine play for the entire intro then it's the original mix (as featured on the original European [and probably US] vinyl and cassette releases and 2006 CD), if the snare sound is absent with the drum machine only coming in at intervals then its the Japanese mix (as featured on the Japanese vinyl, 1988 EU/USA CDs, and the 1992 CD and Vinyl remaster).

Listening to the Mofi version I'm slightly confused as to which set of masters have been used.

At first it sounds like they've used the original masters and done some pleasant remastering, however when one reaches the title track the opening snare is missing and the drum machine fades in and out, as occurs in the Japanese mix. The 1992 remaster sounds much deeper than the Mofi version, so it's certainly not that that's been used, however it's possible, that they may have used the original Japanese mixes as originally mastered by Dave Allen. If this is the case, then the proper version of the album is not the one featured on the new Mofi release.

This is my favourite album and I listen to it a lot, so I'm able to notice the subtle differences between the three versions (Original, Japanese, '92 Remaster). On first listen it seems that this is possibly a remaster of the Japanese version however I haven't listened to those mixes for quite a while, so will have to do some more research. One thing's for sure, the title track is most definitely sourced from the Japanese mix. Either that, or they've used the original mixes and changed them.

Hope that makes sense!

RobGordon35 likes this.
  2. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed post! Let us know if you uncover any further information.

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Welcome to the Forum! I have the German LP, so which mix do I have?

4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

5. motorcitydave

6. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

I've got the new MOFI on order, so I'll be keen to hear how it comes out. I didn't get First, Last and Always first time around, so be nice to have it on vinyl. My favourite SOM vinyl is the 12" of Under the Gun.

7. motorcitydave

I have that and the cd. It's awesome.

8. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

CD is awesome, so is the vinyl. Blasting that out at full volume brings back memories for me, or listening to a crappy tape copy of "Gift".

9. motorcitydave

:uhhuh:

10. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

This is what I got when I asked about the silver series in general

In reality, you have no idea what copies they have used.

11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

On the back of the Mofi record it says the recordings were licensed by Elektra. Elektra released the US CD in 1988 which contains the Japanese mixes. So I reckon the Mofi release is a remaster of the Japanese mixes.

It sounds wonderful, but it's a shame that they haven't used the original versions.

12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Just did a very quick compare of three versions of the album, the 2006 Rhino release (original mixes), the 1992 Eldritch remaster (Jap) and the Mofi.

A further tell tale sign of which mixes are used is on A Rock And A Hard Place. The original version has a synth lead which accompanies Adams' bass, this is absent from the Japanese mix... as well as the Mofi version.

Here's a comparison of the title track and A Rock And A Hard Place (Original -> Remaster -> Mofi) - CLICK

N.B. Recorded at 96kbps so the sound quality is a bit naff, just there to give you an idea of the differences.

13. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

The dynamic differences between the MOFI FALAA and Rock and A Hard Place seem really extreme. Does anyone have an explanation?

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

robertzombie, thanks for posting those clips!

15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

:thumbsup: Thanks for posting those samples.
    FALAA sounds not so great on all, but I hear a much better sound from the MoFi for ARAAHP.

16. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Since you brought up the vinyl releases, I should mention that we had the distribution on Brain Eater product in our part of the country. Recently I found I had kept some of their pamphlets, including the one for their first release, the Alice 12":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the rest of the first booklet is British press clippings.

I have several later Brain Eater/Mongol Horde booklets. In this one, there are two Sisters of Mercy 12-inches already in print, and another about to be released:

[​IMG]

17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Cool stuff, Wilkie. Thanks for posting that.

18. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

my copy has a bit of surface noise on side B...

19. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

The mastering job on "A Merciful Release" is very very good. If you have a chance to pick it up, do so. It has all of the bonus tracks that were included onL FALAA and Vision Thing.

20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Wow - I had no memory of the fact that John Ashton, of the Psychedelic Furs, produced Alice. Alice! Don't give it awayyyy! Whatever do those lyrics mean? I'm still wondering.

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wasn't looking for it but found the original 1985 Japanese vinyl this weekend and couldn't resist. VERY pleased with the sonics, made me appreciate this album all over again. In fact I think this is easily the best version I've heard. It widens the sound stage and shows some details. Hilarious lyric sheet too: The lyric to "Amphetamine Logic" goes - according to an unknown Japanese translator - like this: "In Fact I Mean Logic".

Would it make sense to get the MFSL pressing?

Regardless of the version: What an album! So good! After all these years!

Oh by the way: Are there any infos why Mr.E released this in Japan in a different mix???

RobGordon35 likes this.
  22. motorcitydave

23. taylor

taylor New Member

hello Wilkie, can you point me where can find this one with 2 sleeves ? its a flyer or booklet ?

24. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Hey thanks for the info! I too hve had a similarly puzzling time with the mofi version. In the end I ripped it to losless and re-eq'd it in adobe to make my own version. Some of the tracks dont sound like the same mix at all. That said its an improvement. It was never what you'd call a 'hi-fi' album.

25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

You're welcome! Since writing that post I've come to the conclusion that MoFi definitely used the Japanese mix as the foundation for their remaster. It's certainly the best sounding representation of that mix, but it is unfortunately inherently flawed for not featuring the original mixes! :D

RobGordon35 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.