Sisters of Mercy - Mofi Silver series "First and Last and Always"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, cool. Thanks for the tip! :cool::thumbsup:

2. Hail Satin

Hail Satin Forum Resident

Does anyone know why the "body and soul" ep was left off the SOM
    box set? All of the other ep's from that period are included but for some
    reason body and soul isn't.

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Are you serious? SOM released a slew of singles before the FALAA lp, which was recorded in the "death throes" of the band, imho.

You need the "Some Girls Wander By Mistake" cd comp for all those, which, if you're a true SOM fan, you will buy immediately.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Sisters+Of+Mercy,+The

Let your fingers "wander" to Amazon.com and all shall be revealed....

The box you speak of was simply the 1st 3 remastered cd/albums in one place, albeit with a generous dose of bonus tracks on each album, but no way the 1st cd could contain ALL the singles and b-sides that preceded it.

"Some Girls Wander By Mistake" track listing:

Tracklist :

Alice 3:34
    Floorshow 3:40
    Phantom 7:10
    1969 2:45
    Kiss The Carpet 5:55
    Lights 5:51
    Valentine 4:44
    Fix 3:41
    Burn 4:49
    Kiss The Carpet (Reprise) 0:36
    Temple Of Love (Extended Version) 7:42
    Heartland 4:47
    Gimme Shelter 5:57
    The Damage Done 3:03
    Watch 3:11
    Home Of The Hit-Men 0:34
    Body Electric 4:18
    Adrenochrome 2:57
    Anaconda

http://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Mercy-Some-Girls-Wander-By-Mistake/master/3075

My favorite Sisters Of Mercy cd/album.

4. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

5. jsayers

Never seen/heard of it, but it appears it has "the lot", including the SGWBM cd, so I guess you're all set. I'll bet you anything these are the most recent remasterings with the bonus tracks, no matter what the Amazon description says.
    I can see why you'd be confused. Hey, we are talking Amazon here. Anyone have this?
    I seriously doubt they remastered the "Some Girls..." cd, so I say grab it and be done with it.

No cd will ever match the sonics of those early 7" and 12" vinyl singles, let's face it. If you don't want to go down that road <and I don't blame you> this should seal the deal.

Not much to mull over, as I see it.

Case solved. Next!

6. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

As far as I know, they are not. They are just the old CDs repackaged, no remastering, no bonus tracks.

7. jsayers

Ack! Not sure about the following albums, but this is not good for FALAA. The original cd of that one blows chunks.

Nice price, though....:sigh:

8. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I wait for this, I cross my fingers for hear that this new version is the best one!

9. jsayers

For which album? I could be wrong, but it seems the most debate has been for the 1st album, "First And Last And Always". It's pretty clear that as far as cd goes, the latest remaster <with the bonus tracks> is superior. If you're waiting for a cd that is better than that, could I direct you to some really good swampland in Florida that is sure to become the next Disney World?
    It's hard to tell which album you guys are discussing when they all seem to be lumped together in these boxed sets. NOT a good sign, by the way.

Anyway, it's the 1st album all the way for me.

10. Baba Oh Really

Are you saying that all of the "bonus tracks" of the remasters are represented on the "Some Girls", and the other compilation disc??

11. jsayers

QUOTE=Baba Oh Really;6476895]Are you saying that all of the "bonus tracks" of the remasters are represented on the "Some Girls", and the other compilation disc??[/QUOTE]

Lordy mercy, have you gone to the Discogs site? Do a little research, my fingers and yours fit the keyboard the same way.

Edit - it seems a few of the "bonus" cuts on the remaster of FALAA are unique to that cd. That being said, they suck, at least the ones exclusive to that disc, imho. The improved sound of the original album would be the reason to buy this.

For the rest, once again, the "Some Girls Wander.."

Sorry for getting snippy, but it seems like we are repeating ourselves a lot here....

It's all here:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Sisters+Of+Mercy,+The

12. Baba Oh Really

I apologize, I actually did do a cursory check earlier today and at first glance it looks like a few tracks from FALAA are NOT included on those discs, but I thought it may have been an ofersight on my part so I just thought you may have a quick answer being slightly more versed in "Sisters" stuff it seems.

13. Baba Oh Really

I have been hoping for a new Sisters of Mercy disc for the last 20 years. But it doesn't bother me too much because they still tour, you can still hear live stuff (I think the band may even sanction taping a-la grateful dead?), and it gives them a "mytical" status. Like the Sex Pistols.

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Which would recommend for first, if wanna dig deeper to SoM?
    I heard tracks here and there over the years but never really bought any albums..

So these are in my mind now:

Merciful Release
    http://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Mercy-Merciful-Release/release/972165
    (3 albums: First And Last And Always, Floodland & Vision Thing + additional bonus tracks on each)

Original Album Series
    http://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Mercy-Original-Album-Series/release/2170562
    (3 albums + 2 compilations: First And Last And Always, Floodland, Vision Thing, Some Girls Wander By Mistake & A Slight Case Of Overbombing and no bonuses on each releases)

Which of these could be better if dont feel like or want to buy any other stuff at all?
    Is the Original Album Series quality-wise bad choice?

15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Well, there is no other stuff to buy unless you want to collect the original vinyl 12" singles, some of which have yet to appear on (legit) cd. (There are also a couple of cd singles that contain tracks/versions not on these cds.)

It appears that the original album series is the the original masterings, but I don't know that we know that for sure. If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with the original masterings of these albums except First and Last and Always. Since people seem to like the remasters, I'd suggest getting the Merciful Release set (for the bonus tracks if nothing else) and buying Some Girls Wander By Mistake seperately (should be cheap nowadays). A Slight Case Of Overbombing is a greatest hits comp that features mostly different edits/mixes of familiar songs, but also has a few more odds and ends. Do you need it? Personally, I wouldn't want to be without the remake of "Temple Of Love" with Ofra Haza, but that is also available on a cd single. But you can probably pick up Overbombing for pennies on Amazon or eBay, so you may as well.

To summarize, if you buy the Merciful Release box, Some Girls and Overbombing you'll have pretty much every Sisters track that is available on cd.

16. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I guess to sum up:

For a "Greatest Hits" fix grab "Some Girls Wander" and "Slight Case Of Overbombing"

For the individual albums go with the 2006 remasters (w/bonus tracks) for best sound.

For an instant SOM albums collection grab "Merciful Release" (which is the 3 2006 remastered albums collected). To "collect 'em all", add the 2 comps.

17. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

FLAA is easily their best lp, which is why I am so excited to listen to the new pressing. Floodland and the EP's they released (most of which are on Some Girls Wander by Mistake cd) are also amazing. As for Vision Thing... I just can't get through it.

18. Goratrix

and for near completeness, add the bootleg compilation 'Some Boys Wander By Mistake' (which collects the stuff left out of 'Some Girls...') and the single 'Under The Gun' (the single edit of which is on Slight Case..., but the cd single has the 'Alice 1993' b-side and two longer mixes of Under The Gun).

19. curbach

Does Some Boys contain anything that did not end up among the bonus tracks on the remastered albums? I've never actually seen a copy.

20. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Luckily, I have most of those. :cool:

21. Goratrix

It has Train and Afterhours (from the Body And Soul EP), Dominion/Ozymandias, Untitled and Sandstorm from the Dominion single, a longer 12" mix of Lucretia (9:40) and a vinyl 12" mix of This Corrosion (8:22). The rest of the tracks are on the remasters.

22. Baba Oh Really

I disagree that FLAA is easily the best LP.

I would say that FLOODLAND is easily the best.

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sorry to hear this may be another miss. I was somewhat disappointed on the B-52s as well since it is well below my Kendun pressing. However, the Dead Can Dance is incredible as are the other titles I have like Bobby Darrin and INXS.

Maybe this was due to a poor original recording.

24. curbach

I did a little browsing on eBay last night and was surprised to find there are actually several cd singles available that contain some of the other uncollected tracks. I actually own 2, I just didn't realize how many more there were. I was also pretty shocked at the asking prices for these :eek:

25. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Good luck finding this one for anywhere cheap, it will not happen,. Tough to get, I have one, I lucked out and found one in a pawn shop in Vegas, about 4 years ago, in pristibe shape. I couldnt get the $$$ out fast enough(it was 2 bucks). Never seen one since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.