Sinatra/Jobim "all versions" comparison including the 2004 German 180g LP*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ArneW, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Looks like WB wanted to use up their remaining mono sleeves by filling them with stereo product:
    SinatraJobimStereoMono.jpg

Gardo likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Same old same old!

Great album, think I'll play it tomorrow.

Gardo and aoxomoxoa like this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes, an often done practice during the mono-purge of the early 70's.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened.

aoxomoxoa, jtsjc1 and MLutthans like this.
  5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

What does the "Kevin Grey" LP look like? Was it limited issue/audiophile or what. Not sure if I was aware of its existence.

6. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

It has the same jacket as the original LP. On the plastic outer jacket is a sticker that says "Mastered and pressed at RTI" 180 gram HQ vinyl. You can tell by the thickness of the vinyl of course and there is a KG in the deadwax as Steve pointed out in another thread. On the spine is R1 73798.

Bob F likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

8. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Thanks for the pics Bob I wasn't able to post any earlier. Its now very expensive I believe the copy I saw on Discogs was $199.00. Absolutely worth it if you can find it at a decent price.

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I've seen it on eBay for around the $50-$75 mark now and again. Keep watching....

10. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

That's a pretty good price. I wish I had bought a few more at the time!

11. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Not related to Sinatra/Jobim but Kevin Gray also did a 180g remaster of September Of My Years in 2004 which is equally good.

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

More details about these Kevin Gray albums (and the "German 180g LP") in this 2004 thread at the SFF:

New Vinyl Releases »

MLutthans and jtsjc1 like this.
  13. MLutthans

Any chance somebody can post photos of the 2004 German 180g LP (the non-Kevin-Gray one)? And owners of that are 100% sure that there's no "KG" hand-etched somewhere in the runout area? Is there any kind of "hype sticker" on the front that may clarify its cutting origins?

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, I've not been able to find a photo, but I assume you saw this post in the above-referenced SFF thread?
    (He never got an answer to the question.)

FWIW, this is the Discogs page: Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim »

15. MLutthans

^^^^Yep, yep. That's what caught my eye. I doubt the "original master tape" was shipped off to Germany, so where was this cut, and by whom?

16. MLutthans

My runout info (not German) is:
    Side One: 11258 1 (3) R1-73798-A KPG@ATM
    Side Two: 11258 2 (3) R1-73798-B KPG@ATM

Each "blurb" is in a different segment of the runout area, and some are fainter than others.

Bob F likes this.
  17. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

If Universal were smart they could issue the mono mix on vinyl and the original stereo mix on CD
    but of course we know that won't happen but if it did they would double their sales.

aoxomoxoa and MLutthans like this.
  18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Hmmm. I have it and an original and the original sounds better to me. You could buy many originals for a lot less than $199 and score a good one on ebay.

19. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member Thread Starter

Did I really start this thread 13 years ago? I should keep notes...

Squad 701 likes this.
  20. MLutthans

Oddball label variation currently on Ebay:
    s-l1600-232.jpg

aoxomoxoa and MMM like this.
  21. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Say, Sinatra experts, what is the font that is used on Reprise LP labels? I've never been able to find a match.

22. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

I've got the 7 1/2ips pre-recorded reel to reel tape of it; an example of (one) album the tape *was* manufactured very well of (even though the woodwind instruments can -at times- seem very "in-your-face" while; the strings, in comparison, sound pushed back and with reverb).

23. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I have caught the fever. What an amazing album, start to finish. So far I have a pretty beat but rich-sounding first time press and a clean and still fine-sounding section press. Latest acquisition is a German pressing. Many light scratches, so consistent surface noise, but Frank's voice sounds especially dark and rich on this one.

Don't want no cure....

24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If anyone wants a cheaper option than an expensive one off Discogs, there is a new UMC Back to Black 50th anniversary Stereo vinyl version that came out earlier this year, and which is around £15-20 over here (5727518). The labels and front and back cover artwork are virtually identical to the photos posted by Bob F at #32 earlier. Mine is Made in Holland and is a nice flat, clean, quiet, 180 g pressing, and sounds perfectly fine to my ears. I don't know the source of the tapes. Comes with the usual UMC download voucher.

25. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just seen a beautiful looking french Vogue pressing of the album (CRV 1021). Can anybody tell me if this differs in sound and mix from my 1980's pressing (FS-1-1021-SR1) with orange label?
    Thanks for any info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.