Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "Come Swing with Me" (1961)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, now try a clip with the download folded vs. straight. See if the piano's image shifts when they alternate.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

It won't, because the image is doubled and slightly off-sync. I'm not bluffing! The piano is centered....but also essentially doubled (out of sync with itself).

3. MLutthans

Somebody went to some serious effort to doctor up this track. It's not some sort of accident.

4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

nah, the piano is definitely slightly to the right on the other recordings I've heard. on the HD, that chord is dead center.

MLutthans likes this.
  5. MLutthans

Screen shot 2015-02-10 at 12.05.00 AM.png
    Red ovals = HD = piano in BOTH channels, and slightly out of sync with itself, the result of some trickery-pokery.
    Yellow oval = LP = piano where it belongs, hard right.

6. MLutthans

.....and it's not just that the piano has been moved. Listen to the rest of the band right around that piano, and you'll hear that everything is smooshed into the center briefly, with a drop in volume.

7. motionoftheocean

MLutthans,

Do you have the entire track for this new HD "Paper Dolls?" After listening to those clips a few times, I think there's an edit that occurred in the spot you're referring to but I'd like to compare it with another part later in the song to be sure. Like, I think I'm hearing a fraction of a second that's been removed entirely from the HD version.

8. MLutthans

Well, it shouldn't be slightly to the right. It's recorded "hard right," with very, very minimal leakage over to the left track.

(EDIT: CD remixes may be more centered. Haven't played the Walsh, for instance, in a while.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  9. motionoftheocean

I'm on headphones at the moment and it's very hard to hear with the clip completely out of context

MLutthans likes this.
  10. MLutthans

Do you mean around 1:58? No, I don't have the entire track.

11. motionoftheocean

basically all the spots where that chord occurs in the song. it seems to me, based solely on what's up on PSM and in the clips you posted, that a minute (size, not the unit of time) slice has been removed at around the 0:12 mark where the brass and piano fall, maybe corresponding to somewhere between an 1/8th note and 1/16th's note's worth of time. I am curious if this happens elsewhere.

12. MLutthans

I guaran-dang-tee that the vocal is right-heavy on this new HD COME SWING WITH ME. Dead center on previous releases of the original mix, which also means that the right instrumental track is unnecessarily dominant, since this is not a remix.

13. motionoftheocean

I think you're right, though it's not the case on all songs. But on quite a few of them there's a sense that there's just slightly too much vocal in the right channel and it's pretty annoying.

MLutthans likes this.
  14. motionoftheocean

something that's worth looking at wrt "Paper Doll" is that on my UK CD and the clip you posted of the MFSL, there is an artifact that occurs in the left channel during the spot we've been discussing. do you know if that's tape damage? if so, that could account for why some editing (necessary or otherwise) was done there. the artifact is not present on the new HD release.

15. MLutthans

Re: Paper Doll:
    I do hear something that kind of sounds like somebody crinkling a piece of cellophone in the left channel, very briefly, in two quick little faint bursts, on the MFSL LP and 1998 UK CD. Is that what you are hearing? It's immediately after the big piano CLING? Doesn't sound like a tape defect to me. Sounds more like a sound picked up in the room by one of the left-channel mics (of which there were several). Hardly worth totally overhauling the passage, I would think, but hey.....

16. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Overall, "...the more things change, the more they stay the same."

17. motionoftheocean

if you're listening to the UK Capitol box, it happens at 0:12...it's especially evident on headphones in the left channel. it was also on the MFSL clip you posted.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe that's what I'm hearing, and noticing off-center.

19. mvmaltese

mvmaltese Forum Resident

Very strange indeed. At first I wasn't too bothered by it, but listening to your comparison clip, yeah, something is off. Almost sounds like that left-channel section was digitally replaced (right channel copied to left) to cover up some potential defect (thus creating a near MONO effect at the piano hit). Maybe the oxide flaked at that point on the tape and a quick digital scalpel was employed???

20. MLutthans

Regarding the right-heavy balance on the new HD remaster, I got this from @MarkusGermany --

Here is "Paper Doll" in HD:
    Screen shot 2015-02-12 at 10.26.58 AM.png

Here is "Paper Doll" on the UK 1998 CD (same original mix, not a remix):
    Screen shot 2015-02-12 at 10.28.46 AM.png

To put it bluntly, the left/right balance on the 1998 CD is correct; the new HD version is defective, with heavy emphasis on the right channel, resulting, too, in the vocal being pulled heavy-right.

Dynamics are quite subpar on both version, regardless. Here's how this same track looks on the MFSL LP:
    Screen shot 2015-02-12 at 10.36.38 AM.png
    Now we're talkin'! (As I've commented before, the MFSL is a hair on the bright side, but if you turn down the treble a notch, it's wonderful.)

stevelucille, Bob F and MarkusGermany like this.
  21. motionoftheocean

MLutthans,

Did you end up taking the plunge on the hi-res release?

22. MLutthans

"A fool and his money are quickly separated." Despite this fact, I am not buying this one, as I already have masterings that clearly outshine it. (I'm guessing that anybody who owns any mastering already has a copy that outshines this one????)

CBackley likes this.
  23. motionoftheocean

lol, fair enough. I bought the other two new ones but I'm not yet convinced it's got anything to offer that's better than my UK box...but I may still cave.

looks like Markus is the only one on this forum who's admitted to buying the new CSWM and I've not seen him offer his feedback on it yet.

24. MLutthans

I'm generally a pretty forgiving/understanding guy, but I have a hard time spending $$$ on masterings that are clearly defective.

25. motionoftheocean

I apologize for asking this if you've already posted it, but which of the recent Sinatra hi-res releases would you consider worthy of purchase?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.