Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "Come Swing with Me" (1961)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

The Dell LP is very nice, but I do enjoy my D2#1/D1 mono 9-o'clock a bit more. :righton:

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

This is one LP I cannot imagine would sound good in mono. It was designed for stereo.

3. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I felt the same way, but I picked up a mono on this a few years ago after 20+ years of hearing “Come Swing With Me” in stereo for a few bucks. I always liked the ping-pong effect, but the mono mix brought something new to this album—sort of like playing mono pressings of Esquivel’s “Latin-Esque” or Johnny Williams “Rhythm In Motion” (both designed for stereo as well). I’m not saying it’s the way you should listen to any of these albums for the first time (or the first 100+), but it becomes much more of an interesting experience in mono after countless times played in stereo....well, for me anyhow :)

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

And THAT, my friend is what it's all about! Enjoying the music...especially when Mr. S is involved!:thumbsup:

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

The mono is a fold-down. Doesn't mean it can't sound great! ...but it's a fold-down as far as I can tell.

Oddly, I do think that there's something quite nice about the album in mono, kind of like I'm able to listen more to the music, and not focus on or be distracted by the stereo ping-pong stuff.

Matt

6. MLutthans

I have posted a clip from the 1961 7.5 ips reel-to-reel tape, here.

If any Sinatra nuts have forgotten how to log in, PM me.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
    Matt

7. MLutthans

^^^^^^....and a bunch of stuff about the recording technique of the album and the "missing piano mic" from session #2, here.

Matt

8. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks Matt. Glad to see you're back at it!

This seems to be a title with no "dogs" among the various versions. The R2R, Dell, MFSL, etc. all sound quite nice.

As for the piano: why did they bother to do the overdub? The leakage is not bad and the overdub may in fact make the piano too pronounced.

P.S. I forgot how funny the Strangers on a Train reference was.....

9. MLutthans

^^^^^I think the thinking was that that particular piano passage was too important to "lose" due to a technical problem. Just my guess.

CD samples are now posted here. Please share your thoughts!

Matt

10. rangerjohn

Wow. The CD of this title from the EMI box is shockingly bad. Very tinny.

Its looking like I'll stick with my transfer of the MoFi vinyl and just sum it to mono, thereby having a good stereo version and a reproduction of the fold-down.

Thanks Matt!

CBackley likes this.
  11. MLutthans

Yes, considering how good-sounding many of the discs in that set have proven to be, this one definitely comes across as subpar to my ears, too.

Matt

12. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Very interesting stuff Matt!

You're completely right on the mono being a fold-down.

I guess my go-to copy is the MFSL with the treble turned down a bit. Hitting the mono button allows me to have the best of both worlds.

Like the others members said...it's nice to see you back!

13. MLutthans

Glad to be back. :)

I've got a shiny (supposedly) near-mint D1 pressing coming "in the mails" on Monday, and that should be it as far as samples go, so.....last call! If you have a pressing/tape/CD sample you want to share for comparison on this title, PM me. I'll be happy to include any and all...... We have a bit of a paucity of samples on this album thus far.

Matt

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Also some extended tape playback dropouts on the left (Five Minutes More iirc... maybe a problem on EMI's dub). A low spot in that set for sure but the only copy this Joe has.

I enjoy this one, but not particularly Don't Take Your Love From Me (Keely Smith's Nelson Riddle arranged version owns the song to me). And Paper Doll...? Okay, but. Although the arrangement on Lover seems relatively rushed I particularly like what Frank does on that one.

15. rangerjohn

"Lover" is, indeed, an audacious vocal.

These have strong performances: "American Beauty Rose," "Yes Indeed!" and
    "On the Sunny Side of the Street."

"I've Heard That Song Before" is superb--thank God he got to that one!

The rest of the album is just okay, IMHO.

CBackley likes this.
  16. MLutthans

I've added:

•A clip from a D1 mono pressing, here; and
    •Info on the intercut in "I've Heard that Song Before," here.

Matt

17. MLutthans

I've chosen a "winner" for this album, although I don't yet have a "D" pressing, so let's call this a probationary choice, I guess. Comments and brief samples can be heard here.

Please......comment! People sometimes ask about that Capitol scorecard thing: "Is this just Matt's opinion?" I'd really like to hear views of others so we can get something close to a consensus, as I'm sure my fellow members would.

Also, if there is somebody who is hoarding samples from different pressings, please PM me, and I'll add them to the site.

Thanks,
    Matt

EDIT: Anybody know who the excellent percussionist is on this album? I know that Irv Cottler is playing drums, but who's doing all the vibes/xylopohone/bells/timpani parts? They are expertly played, whoever it is.

CBackley likes this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Matt,

I've checked my copy of Put Your Dreams Away and oddly enough no credits are given for those instruments. :shake:

20-March-1961 (Monday) - Hollywood.
    Capitol recording session no. E-83 - Capitol Tower
    Frank Sinatra with Orchestra conducted by Billy May
    Mannie Klein, Johnny Best, Conrad Gozzo, Mickey Mangano, Shorty Sherock,
    Zeke Zarchy, James Salko, Maurice Harris, Joe Graves (tpt); Pete Carpenter,
    Lew McCreary, Barrett O'Hara, Jimmy Priddy, Kenneth Trimble, Jimmy Henderson,
    Richard Kenney (tbn); Fred Fox, John Graas, Gale Robinson, William
    Culley (fr-h); Kathryn Julye (harp); Bill Miller (p); Tony Rizzi (g); Joe Comfort
    (b); Phil Stephens (tuba); Irving Cottier (d). Billy May, Heinie Beau (arr).

I have a 12 o'clock copy N5 on side 1 and N14 on Side 2 and an Alan Dell LP copy. By a hair, IMHO, the original copy bests the UK issue. Also, to my ears, the Dell LP bests the Dell CD.

However, your sample clearly shows the MFSL to be the winner.:righton:

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Alan Dell LP is really nice. But the West Coast cutting LP issues best that. But only slightly. D3/D4 is nice. Wish mine hadn't gone missing, I bought the Alan Dell LP for a replacement.

20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Checking my copy of "Big Fat Brass" it lists Lou Singer and Bill Hansell as percussion on that "CSWM" inspiring LP. Perhaps one or both of them are on "CSWM". Just a wild guess....

21. MLutthans

Whoever it is, they're playing to beat the band on COME SWING.

Thanks paulmock and mclover for your comments, too! :)

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not all the stereo "D" cuts are created equal. Overall the best I've heard is a
    D2 side two I have. Side one of the same pressing (a Scranton) is an N5, and
    that side is just OK. I have another copy (pressed in LA) that D something on
    each side, and it's not that spectacular from what I remember.

That D2 is overall my favorite for sound on this album. Next would probably be
    the handful of tracks on THE CAPITOL YEARS, though I'd prefer less compression
    than those mixes have. In some ways, those mixes are better than the original
    stereo mix though.

I have one of those blue label abridged reissues here - I can't even remember
    much about how it sounded. Probably decent enough to not offend or stand out...

I don't hear anything worthwhile about the mono LP samples. I don't even own a
    copy.

The Norberg CD is just plain bad sounding. I can't believe that's the version
    still available.

I didn't care for the Walsh CD, as its tone is "off". Still much better than
    the Norberg.

The MoFi is too futzed with for me. It's not a bad sounding record or anything,
    and it's better than the Walsh CD, but it sounds too phony. Matt's quote on his
    site of "like it could have been recorded yesterday" is the impression I get of
    what they were going for (yesterday in this case being 1983). I don't believe
    in that sort of thing, and prefer one doing the least needed to make the
    original shine, or at least not try to turn a recording into something it's not.

That said, considering how it seems there are quite a few not so great vintage
    cuts of this album out there, I can see how someone would consider the MoFi a
    good choice.

CBackley likes this.
  23. MLutthans

I agree that the tone is funny -- mostly on the vocal, to my ears -- but I like it better than most versions. Still, I hear where you are coming from!

If one finds the MFSL too bright (and I admit openly that it is on the bright side), I'd suggest moving down (treble-wise) to the Alan Dell LP, or maybe a good D pressing, which I still haven't heard.

By the way, MMM knows that there is literally nobody on this forum whose ears I trust more than his, and when I was listening and re-listening and trying to reach a justifiable decision as to which version I thought sounded best, I knew that MMM and I would disagree (albeit in a friendly way, and, I think, mildly so) on the MFSL choice, as we had the same divergent thoughts regarding CLOSE TO YOU, and for the exact same reasons. It's strictly a matter of personal taste, as all these things are, which is why I like to share actual samples so people can reach their own, educated decisions for their own ears. :)

Matt

For those who can't access the final page, here are the closing comments from the site:

CBackley likes this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The Hollywood musicians on Sinatra sessions were a fairly close-knit group. Although there is no credit in the contracts for COME SWING, percussionist credits in this time frame usually went to Frank Flynn, Larry Bunker and/or Emil Richards. Take your pick. (Both Bunker and Richards are credited on SWING ALONG for Reprise, also led by Billy May, two months later.)

25. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Richards seems the safe bet.

For what it's worth, Friedwald includes a quote from Richards during his discussion of this album, but it can be interpreted as merely a general comment about May's writing style, not necessarily anything going on with this album.

Funny that he - or whomever it was - was left off the contract.

Bob F: Are there any photos of these sessions with shots of the orchestra, similar to Swingin' Session?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.