Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I'm not sure if two similar experiences equate with a trend, but we seem to agree, at least.

Matt

2. MLutthans

I did a hi-res scan of the booklet cover for "Sinatra 80th - All the Best," and was able to see that the music Sinatra is holding is none other than "Anything Goes," meaning the photo is from January 16, 1956.

In the close up of the sheet music, you'll see the line-for-line text as follows:

PROSE __ AN-Y-THING GOES___THE WORLD HAS GONE

MAD TO-DAY AND GOOD'S BAD TO-DAY AND BLACK'S

WHITE TO-DAY AND DAY'S NIGHT TO-DAY WHEN MOST

GUYS TO-DAY THAT WO-MEN PRIZE TO-DAY ARE JUST

SIL-LY GIG-GO-LOS_____ SO THOUGH I'M NOT A

...and so on. (If this info was already out there, sorry to be repeating somebody.)

Matt

Attached Files:

3. MLutthans

Same session? This is in the big radio studio/theatre at KHJ. Note the power supplies for the U47s on the risers along the edge of the stage.

Attached Files:

4. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Wow. Photos from the SFSL sessions! Gives me the same chills as seeing pics from the Revolver or Pepper sessions. Staggeringly important musical history.

DLant likes this.
  5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's great Matt - thanks! I've seen those pictures before, but never knew what session they were from. I sort of had a hunch they were from this album, but wasn't sure.

That should have been the last time Frank recorded there - off-hand, I don't there there were any Capitol sessions between this and TONE POEMS...

6. MLutthans

Correct -- this was literally his last day recording in that space where so many of the classics of the previous few years had been recorded.

Matt

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Great catch, Matt! Here's the un-cropped photo (by Ken Veeder), showing a glimpse of Nelson and a better view of those power supplies. Unlike many of their Sinatra photos, mptv lists the correct 1956 date for this one:
    0337-1760.jpg

There are a number of other photos in this series, including the following. (Click on images for mptv pages.)

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

And here are some more from January 16, 1956:

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Hehe. For some reason that photo puts an amusing image in my mind of Frank on the way to the studio, walkin' across a busy street and signaling the traffic to halt whilst he's going over his music sheets.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

[​IMG]

:D (I'm sure this is the one you meant to quote, Chris.)

BTW, contrary to the claim (made elsewhere recently) that all such studio photos are staged, this one sure looks to me like a candid shot taken during actual recording. You can just hear Sinatra saying, "Whoa! There was a clam in there. Next take..."

11. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I think he's saying "Hold it, Nelson. This sounds like a different album!".

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

To which Nelson replied, "You hold it; I'm not gonna hold it!"

13. MLutthans

I'd bet dollars for donuts that RCA 44 mic was for Sweets Edison to noodle into.

Matt

14. MLutthans

Frank spent some quality time in the aisles at KHJ.

EDIT: And, this being a properly-designed theatre, not a modern multiplex hack-job, there was no center aisle, so Frank was likely always singing somewhat off to one side.

Attached Files:

15. MLutthans

...and one more. Hard to miss Felix Slatkin in the violin section.

Attached Files:

16. MLutthans

In case you wondered what the front of the "Anything Goes" sheet music looked like...

Attached Files:

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

FWIW, last night I pulled out my Alan Dell '84 LP and played it instead of playing the usual MoFi. I was really surprised at how good it sounds! Matt has rated it as good but a tad harsh sounding. I will admit it has a tad of an "edge" to it, but it is the correct tapes and it really played nicely.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Nancy Sinatra had started a thread about this on the Sinatra Family Forum - it's another great "Classic Tracks" article from SOUND ON SOUND magazine, this one about the recording of "I've Got You Under My Skin":

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec12/articles/classic-tracks-1212.htm

Right now the article needs to be purchased to view it in full, but it is very good, and has further insights than have previously been published from John Palladino on the session.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just bought a mint copy of this record at an antique store and someone asked me to post the stamper number here. It is machine prrinted in block letters W1 - 653 - D9 and side 2 is stamped W2 - 653 - D2 and has a dark gray or blackish lable. Oh, there is a little house stamped too.

I gave this copy a hard listen yesterday. Side one must never have been played. It's pretty much dead silent and clean. Side 2 though must have been the purchasers side of voice.the first four ones are completely clean and noiseless, but the last three tracks a ver, very slight inner groove distortion. Must hVe played those ong a few times. Broke my heart. I was sure I has NM record. So I guess one side is NM and the other VG plus plus to just VG. Rats.

paulmock likes this.
  20. MLutthans

Should sound very nice.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It sounds fantastic. Smooth as silk. Dynamic. Great sense of presence!

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Matt,

He bought it for....sit down....$6.00!!!! Is he not blessed for the New Year?????

23. MLutthans

:thumbsup:

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

A blessing from the Chairman, for sure!

25. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Is the MSFL gold CD of this album worth spending the money on? I have the Walsh CD and a LP, don't remember the label color, but Frank looking towards the young couple, which indicates a later pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.