Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

I'll buy it and report back. :righton:

Nevermind....:(

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Axis is EMI Australia's budget line. I like the D5 LP. D9 is also a favorite as well. I like the Gray Label Capitols. Haven't found a good one yet, around here everyone hammered them hard on overweight tonearms. Walsh/Furmanek collapsed to mono on CD is my favorite digital. I might just have to buy an Alan Dell LP if I can't find a Gray label.

3. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Well...I managed to get a copy. Arrived today.

As soon as I popped it in and hit play, I got depressed. :cry:

This is a slightly different pressing of the Walsh mastering complete with echo. :mad:

Are we ever going to get this properly released from the original mono masters?! :realmad:

Steve....can you please come to the rescue!

4. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Now I know not to bother.

5. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Anytime! Happy to help and contribute at least a little.:agree:

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Salleno, Thanks for the information.

Is there a printed date anywhere on that EMI/AXIS CD?

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Listened to my grey label yesterday. It would be nice if an audiophile label did a version of that. Are the tapes still availible?

8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

There was a UK HQ vinyl pressing of this in the mid 80's. Pops up on ebay now and then.

9. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I scored a gray label, finally, in what looks like playable condition. Will report back!

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Today, I gave my very-late-9:00-rainbow-era D47 pressing a spin. Holy cow! Getting a super-clean copy of a pressing along these lines is now a definite priority. The sound is gorgeous.

Matt

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes! I have one also with deadwax reading D39 that I actually think sounds a hair better than my lucisous gray label reading D2 on side one and D4 on side 2.

12. MLutthans

13. MLutthans

Bump for the above audio clip, plus....

Matrix question for the experts:

Both the 15-song and 12-song versions had the same catalog number: W-653, at least during the rainbow-label era.

I have a 15-song version that has D47 in the deadwax. I have a 12-song version that has D20 in the deadwax. [No! See "EDIT" below.] Did the 12-song version really sell that many copies to mandate such a high number of stampers? Did the numbering get messed up somewhere along the way?. I see way more W 653 pressings in the 15-song version than the 12-song version.

Matt

EDIT: I double-looked-at the deadwax, and it actually says "D50," so I'm assuming they just kept going up when they transitioned from the 15-song version to the 12-song version, so......

Nevermind.

14. Ryan

My gray label has D20/D27 stampers and is in great condition. My search for this has basically ended.

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Great feeling, ain't it?

16. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Congratulations! Good score. That's a record to be enjoyed!

And I agree that the higher stampers tend to sound better--more open and vibrant.

17. Ryan

He indeed sounds in the room.

18. MLutthans

Below is a blurb from an Australian newspaper called "The Age," dated May 25, 1978. I saw a copy of this LP on Ebay once, and e-mailed the seller, who told me the LP was manufactured in New South Wales. It's Capitol #SENC-9455.

Has anybody heard this one???

Attached Files:

19. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Never heard. But for those of us collecting useless peripheral knowledge, possibly pressed on equipment now at The Vinyl Factory, Marrickville, Australia. Leastways they seem proud of their EMI heritage equipment.

20. MLutthans

"There is other kind knowledge????"

Attached Files:

21. MLutthans

I'm doing a transfer to digital of a D2/D1 pressing that's been sitting out in my garage, unloved and forgotten, and I just noticed for the first time that somebody (Frank?) can be heard gently humming along under the instrumental intro to "You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me," and there's also somebody going "phew" (or some such sound) right at the fade out of "It Happened in Monterey."

I've been playing this album in assorted formats for over 25 years, and never noticed either of those things before.

Matt

22. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

I've never heard either of those things. I will have to listen more closely.

23. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I've noticed that before. I always assummed it was Frank reacting to getting a good take. I've only ever heard it on gray label LPs. It's not on EPs, CDs or any later pressings of LPs. (that I'm aware of!)

Steve

24. MLutthans

Continuing the "adventures in needledropping" on this title:

I have transferred 3 copies, as follows:

•D2/D1
    •D46/D33
    •D47/D34

I like them all just fine, and when comparing the D33 with the D1 cut of "I've Got You Under My Skin" a year or so ago, I commented that the early D1 and late D33 sounded very similar, but on the side one tracks, I have to say that the D2 sounds a tad dull compared to the D46 and D47 copies. Bass and vocal tones are essentially identical, but there is a noticeably extended high frequency range on the later copies, which I have come to prefer through this process, so I'm now working at putting together a very nice CD for myself using a mix of the D46 and D47 pressings, and leaving the D2 on the sideline for this transfer.

That's not to say that the D2 is bad -- it's not, at all. The later cuts just have a better HF range to my ears, at least on side one in these 3 versions. YMMV.

Matt

25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Interesting findings Matt, here's my notes on two gray label copies of "Songs for Swingin' Lovers":

D3/D2#2 - rolled-off highs, avoid.
    D17/D9#2 -nice balanced, open sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.