Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

If you have any CLOSE TO YOU samples to share for our next Sinatra thread, please contact me. I already have (or have received) multiple gray-label USA pressings, both D and N varieties, a UK gray label, Norberg CD, Walsh CD, MFSL LP, UK 21-disc set CD, USA EP. I'd be especially interested in adding: UK 84 (Dell), UK MFP series, foreign pressings, later US pressings, i.e., rainbow, SM series, etc.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I'll see what I have.
    I know I have a few EPs and grey labels in my stash.

3. MLutthans

4. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

5. MLutthans

I can't wait to see what I think, either. :laugh: Now that I'm done with all the tax garbage at work, I should have more time. Maybe I'll have something posted late next week?????

If any of you have any clips you can share, please PM me.

Thanks,
    Matt

6. robotulism

robotulism New Member

Frank Sinatra Songs For Swingin' Lovers! LP question

I found a copy of this in a used record store today. It has the later cover, the one with the illustration of Frank facing the couple instead of looking away from them. The record label is black/gray and the matrix is machine-stamped. Is the any difference in the mastering between a copy like this and one that was housed in the earlier cover?

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

8. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

how many tracks is on your copy? If its all 15 tracks you should have an original pre-futzed with copy.

9. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

What is the deadwax info?

10. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Forum member MLutthans maintains a web page with everything you ever need to know about "Songs For Swingin' Lovers" and the various CD and LP editions. Unfortunately, my browser collapses each time I try to insert the link (?!?).

But you'll find it here - the link is in the first post: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=201634

Arne

11. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

What type of machine stamp?? Is it large scroll type lettering or small block type? The scroll type would be original.

12. robotulism

robotulism New Member

It has 15 tracks and the following matrix:

Side 1: W1 - 653 - D28
    Side 2: 1S - W2 - 6 53 - D20 A2

I don't know if you'd call it scroll- or block-type lettering, but it's large.

Little 'house' stamp on both sides, too.

Paging MMM?

13. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Sounds like what you have is a later gray label pressing made at Scranton, PA but mastered in LA from the master tape. The little house symbol is the give away.

You didn't mention the condition of the vinyl (most important part!) but it should sound pretty nice.

Put it on, turn it up and listen to Sinatra the way it was meant to be heard.

BTW I've seen that "1S" notation or something similar on some Capitol LPs. Anyone know what it denotes??

14. MLutthans

Wow -- D28 on a gray label! I'm not sure I've seen a number that high on a gray label. (Rainbow, yes.) On some titles, the higher numbers actually sound better than the lower ones. Could be quite nice!

Matt

15. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Sounds like scroll to me. Scroll are large and sort of slanted (like it's handwritten). Block style are small and straight up and down.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My gray label has D35 #2 on side one and D21#4 on side 2. Script with a little house as well.

17. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I have one very similar to yours, and it sounds wonderful ... Makes we want to eat a steak rare, drink a glass of Cab, and smoke a Cuban ...

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

1st stamper from that mother. I've seen up to at least a 4S denoted. Not sure why the stamper # is only indicated infrequently. Just a guess, but maybe they only denoted the stamper # on the earliest ones struck?

19. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Sinatra's "Songs For Swinging Echo Engineers"

I just bought my fourth copy of Sinatra's "Songs For Swingin' Lovers." I can't help it, I adore this record.

The copy I just bought is the *cleanest* copy I've ever found, and I bought it for a pittance. It's a yellow/orange Capitol pressing, SM-653. I could tell it's a later pressing because there's only twelve songs on it. But I bought it anyway!

As soon as I got home, I cleaned it, warmed up the tubes, and put it on the turntable.

:realmad:

Now, I've heard of how Capitol goosed the echo on this thing, but this is ridiculous! How on earth could anyone have thought this was a good idea? The mind boggles! They killed that marvelous room ambience (a parking lot studio in Hollywood, right?) and made Mr. Sinatra and the band sound like they're inside a submarine. I mean, it's so bad it's laughable.

My other copies are earlier pressings, with all fifteen songs. Even though they're dirtier and scratched, I'd rather listen to them.

Thanks, I just needed to rant, and I'm sure someone here would understand.

20. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

...The chambers are under the parking lot, next to the Tower studios.

21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Capitol went thru a "phase" where they thought everything old should be drenched in echo. On some things it works, but on many things it doesnt.

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Get it out. It's o.k. :D

Their original mono mixes used a good amount of echo (permanently) mixed in live - but rather than leave well enough alone, later on they (or whomever was doing the reissues) had this idea they needed to add more. And that multiplied as echo is wont to do, to more.

Next one knows, they all recorded in a Yellow Submarine...

Then in the '80s, they moved to a Digital Submarine...

23. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

'Submarine sound' you sure it's not duophonic?

My yellow label of that album is. Check MLutthans' swingin' Capitol Sinatra sound discussion pages.

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Duophonic.

The marvelous room ambiance is mostly from the room it was recorded - Capitol Melrose Studio A, used previously as a "radio theatre" by KHJ, complete with stage and theatre style seating. Some echo was added, from the rooftop chamber. The underground chambers are at the Tower, not Melrose. This was the last Sinatra album to be recorded at Melrose.

The real sound:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/241402641/fe508e65/SkinFMSTRclip.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.