Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't know if it's what MFSL used, but the tracks that were dropped from the 12-track versions of Swingin' Lovers and Wee Small Hours (as well as A Swingin' Affair) were picked up on the 1963 LP, Tell Her You Love Her.

Tell-Her-You-Love-Her.jpg

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The '87 Walsh used the correct master with stereo echo added. The MoFi disc used the early '60's tampered dub, which is a mono source. This tape was played back in stereo for the Gold issue.

Capitol altered the sound of the whole album when preparing the above dubs, not just the songs issued on abridged LP's.

3. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Matt, could you be more explicit about how you feel about the 1982 MFSL pressing of Swingin Lovers in comparison with the original US pressing and the German one, both of which you praise highly on your website. Thanks!

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Sure, although it's strictly an opinion, with a few facets in no particular order:

1. The US pressings seemed to be really all over the map, but all with in about a 20% range, i.e., the best US pressing is 10% "better" than an average-sounding one, and the worst that we sampled was about 10% worse -- but all were pretty good. I thought that the EQ'd sample from salleno sounded gorgeous, and I'm guessing that any of the USA samples could be EQd to produce a result that's in that ballpark. (Keep in mind, too, that we are hearing these samples from a variety of turntables/styli, so if the tone is not "perfect" on a given sample compared to another, at least some of that difference may be attributable to the stylus used.)

2. If comparing mint copies to mint copies directly from a turntable, not from some altered, EQ'd CD-R/digital copy, I'm quite confident that the best sounding versions would be original "D" Capitol pressings, such as the D9 that stevelucille shared with us.

3. It's very hard to really get a definitive "read" on this album in terms of sound. There are some very quiet parts and some very aggressive sections with driving brass and rhythm. For instance, I thought the French pressing (which I believe was "D" sourced and merely pressed in France) sounded gorgeous in the quieter parts, but really lost it's praiseworthiness on the double- and triple-forte sections, as evidenced here specifically. Also, Frank's vocals do not strike me as being very warm when compared to the vocal sound on, say, Songs for Young Lovers. I think that Walsh tried to compensate for this, and the results were mixed. I wouldn't call it a flaw in the original recording, per se, but a recording decision that is not especially to my liking. (I'm at a loss to explain what caused it. Could be something as simple as a use of different tape stock.)

4. The vocal quality seems to get glassy-er or more razor-like (albeit subtly so) once we get to the reverbed tapes, circa 1961/62. I'm not saying that it gets horrific, just subtly less pleasant, to my ears. These are the tapes that MFSL used for both the LP and CD. The LP seems to have a warmer EQ applied than does their gold CD, and that's a help. I'm actually rather fond of the MFSL pressing. I'm used to it, and even after all these years, the vinyl sounds mint. (I used no de-clicking on those MFSL samples -- didn't need to. Their SuperVinyl deserved to be called such!

5. The added reverb on this title is pretty subtle when you compare it to what was done to, say, Swing Easy, which had a true slathering of the stuff! Because of that, the MFSL, even though it uses the "reverbed tapes," does not come off poorly at all; just not "as good."

6. I think that anybody who added the MFSL to their collection would be quite happy to have it, and it's a very pleasant listen on the whole, but because it does have that added reverb, I can't really place it in the absolute top echelon and still be able to sleep at night.

7. The German LP, played straight off the turntable, is pretty poor, frankly, but it has one big thing going for it that no other copies in this survey have: It is 100% dry. I believe -- based on what I've heard with my own ears, including what I presented in the "One Final Reverb Check" section here plus some other spot-checking I did -- that *every* USA issue of this complete album from day one had a TOUCH of reverb added to it. If you compare the D1 EP or the D5 or the D9 or any of the other "vintage" USA pressings to the Furmanek-produced version, which I'm certain was from the true original tape, you will hear a very slightly higher reverb level on the originals than on the Furmanek, and I don't have any reason to believe that Mr. Furmanek was "sucking reverb off the tape" through any sort of digital trickery. Also, the fact that this 1950s German pressing matches the Furmanek-disc reverb levels precisely tells me that there has existed a "drier" tape all along. (If you are playing the comparisons on the car stereo or over "computer speakers," the difference may not be apparent, but over headphones or "hi fi" speakers, it is clearly there, IMO.) You could create -- and others clearly have created -- a very high quality CD-R from a vintage USA pressing with very minor (if any) EQ, but it would not be as dry as the German version -- but very close! Also, there is an argument to be made that the release of the 100% dry German version was a MISTAKE and was not what was intended, as it appears to be an anomaly. It all boils down to personal preference, in my opinion. Look at NICE & EASY. Somebody at some point made the decision to release that LP buried in reverb. Personally, I think a much drier version would be a vast improvement. Is that artistic revisionism? Sure. Is it superior? For me, definitely! For you... that's your call.

8. Back to the MFSL LP: I think that it's more pleasant than the MFSL CD in terms of overall tone, and a very good presentation of the material, just not a "technically correct" presentation. Ever watch a movie at home? SHAME ON YOU! That movie was meant to be seen in a theatre....but it can still be really good at home. Same deal here. It's not quite as intended, but still quite good on its own terms, IMO.

9. One more note about the added reverb. Adding reverb affects more than just how much reverb you perceive. It can affect overall tone, blend, and dynamics. Maybe adding 2% reverb isn't a big deal as far as the reverb goes, but if that 2% reverb causes the tone to be, say, 1% worse, and the blend to be 1% worse, and the dynamics to be a little less impressive, suddenly you have a release that, through subtle manipulation on one front that subtly affected other fronts, is maybe 4 or 5% worse overall. You probably won't even notice it on its own terms, but if you actually compare carefully you may find that you just don't enjoy one version of the album as much as another, and it may be because of all those nearly-imperceptible alterations that add up to have an affect on the overall enjoyment of the album.

Matt

michael landes likes this.
  5. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

THANKS MATT!!! That was way above and beyond the call of duty. This was the source of my confusion: " the reverbed tapes circa 1961/62....are the tapes that MFSL used for both the LP and CD." I thought that MoFi had only used the reverbed tapes on the CD release not the LP one. Now I understand why you weren't elevating it to the level of the Walsh and German versions. Thanks again.

6. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I have the 1998 Britsh Box Set CD. As far as digital versions, it is a small improvement over all others.

Would really like to hear a 1950's LP version though.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, in my opinion the echo thing here, at least on issues made from a "good" tape, is more a reflection of the Eq on a particular mastering vs. another that brings (or doesn't) out the echo, instead of some more added during mastering on the old LP's. I'm not aware Capitol mastering doing such a thing back then, and to my ears this is more of a function of the Eq/tone, etc. for a particular pressing vs. another and how it presents the echo. The '90 CAPITOL YEARS version is more neutrally balanced overall compared to any vintage pressings I've heard of this album. Many of the older pressings seem rolled on top, some have a bit of a midrange boost at one point, some at another point, etc. It's too bad they didn't have any vintage Ampex tape electronics available when the '90 version was done, but they made due with what Capitol had. I really think this is one album in particular that really needs it to sound truly great and correct/as intended. There is an upper midrange issue that can sound a bit harsh when some things in the recording get loud/powerful. You'll notice the old copies don't have this problem, and they're obviously all tube mastered. I've tried "fixing" this in the '90 version and, when you screw with that using Eq reduction there, it easily messes up the balances even with a tiny change, and drains out the power and energy from the recording. I'll take a bit of bite instead. Great, complimentary playback on a new transfer would make it sing. It's an impressive recording, with lots of depth, and a great, "big" sound that just hasn't been mastered correctly in one and/or another way yet...

The German version sounds pretty revised tonally to my ears. It seems to have a midrange dip and a boost further up. Notice the "root" of Frank's voice is not as strong vs. most other copies, for instance. It doesn't sound right...

Could you possibly post the track times for the dynamics/screenshots you noted above, when you have a chance?

8. MLutthans

Yes. Using the Furmanek disc as a reference, it starts at about 1:12 and ends around 2:46. The reference for the RSM numbers were 1:58-2:00 vs. 2:18-2:20.

Matt

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

So the wave image is 1:12-2:46, Matt?

10. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Matt, what about the Songs From The Heart CD? Did you hang on to that good sounding You Make Me Feel So Young I sent you some weeks ago?

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I was in the cellar today and decided to play some wax while assembling a cabinet.
    Since we were on the subject of SFSL, I pulled out my two copies. One has Frank facing at the couple and the other he's looking away. Just out of curiosity I wanted to check the matrix numbers to see what pressings I have. The "facing" cover has a mint grey D14/13 in the jacket, the "away" cover has a grey D2/3 inside. I Put that bad boy on the cleaner, and cranked it up. It was a disapointment. The LP sounded better than most of the CDs but it had no top end to speak of and very boomy.

12. MLutthans

Yes, each blue picture is 1:12-2:46.

13. MLutthans

Yes, it's still on my hard drive.

Matt

14. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I don't if this sheds much light on anything, being only two short examples.

It's a clip from the Furmanek/Walsh (dry) compared with the same clip from the same vintage LP I submitted to the samples page.

I did some crude EQ on the Walsh/Furmanek to make it match the LP a little closer, and I must say between these two samples I can't hear any difference in the amount of reverb.

PLAY

15. MLutthans

Could be; no argument from me, as I just don't know. What struck me as so odd is that *each* of the six original US copies I had -- regardless of overall EQ, tone quality, etc. -- sounded like it had more reverb than the German copy.

Nor am I, so again, it seemed really odd.

Yes, all true; fully agreed. I hated to use words like "razor-y" to describe the tone on this title, but at times it's just not very pleasant, even on the Furmanek, and I think the Furmanek issues are of very high quality overall.

....and I would say that most of the vintage LPs from Capitol in this time period (not just this album) have the midrange boost that can use a little tweaking.
    I assume you mean in its "raw" version. I would go one further: It has highly attenuated bass, a mild midrange dip, and a stronger cut further up, yes. If I were to seriously attempt a CD-R or digital copy of that LP, it would take some serious fine-tuning to dodge turntable rumble while still getting enough bass in the end result.

I was especially intrigued by this quote:

I noticed that, too. In fact, I have posted something (not part of the actual "sample pages") here, and it seems like in one passage the Furmanek matches up best with the Salleno EQ'd LP and on another with ArneW's LP that I tweaked. Then there's the reverb issues on those clips, too...

Matt

16. MLutthans

Martin, I've paraphrased your comments here. Let me know if anything isn't to your liking. Thanks!

Matt

17. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Matt: Great job, thanks! A few of reactions on the USA cd versions: (1) the NR on the 1990 Walsh from the 3 disc Capitol Years is pretty noticeable and deleterious; (2) On the 87 Walsh, the reverb, while incorrect, doesn't bother me as much as the cold electronics. If ever redone, these tapes need valve playback; (3) The Norberg, no surprise, is hideous. Overall, this is a disappointing showing for one of the greatest performances of all time.

MichaelM likes this.
  18. MLutthans

Bingo! I was wondering, too, if maybe the no-noise may have contributed to the somewhat drier sound on the CAPITOL YEARS clip.

Back on page two of this thread a post got sort of buried amongst a lot of other stuff. Greg1954 posted a good comparison clip that is worth checking out. (Sometimes we start a new page here and the "old stuff" never gets looked at.)

Matt

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, the "raw" version. Agree about the bass, well, lack thereof. I think it's missing bass makes the top end stand out even more, sort of like using a "tone control" that either cuts the bass or the treble.

20. MLutthans

IIRC, the bass roll-off starts quite high, up around 200 or 250 Hz.

Matt

21. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The best modern reproduction of the grey-label Capitol is the mid-80's British LP collection. I want to upload this to Matt's website, but I don't really know how to record this. Can someone E-mail me privately and give me a way to record onto a computer from a tube preamp? My laptop has only a mike input.

22. MLutthans

Actually, a sample was sent to me last night, and I will have it on the site within the next 24 hours. I haven't done a critical comparison yet, but my initial reaction is that, on it's own terms, it sounds good. More to follow.

Matt

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It comes from the wrong tapes though, but it's a pretty good issue of that source...

24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Matt. You're right, it's not less dynamic. I'd then guess the different Eq done to those tapes and/or the releases that use it make the rise in level to the middle instrumental section sound less dramatic to me. It's like there's less energy to it, which I (mistakenly) thought was evened out a bit dynamically for the dub.

25. MLutthans

Numbers and sound don't always correlate, right? Not the first time we've learned that lesson! :)

By the way, Martin was nice enough to send along a sample from the 1984 "Alan Dell" series British pressing, and I've added some samples and comments to the sample pages. Overall, I think it's a very nice sound, certainly the equal of the MFSL LP. It does have a slight amount of added reverb, but tonally it matches up quite well with a good original pressing, IMO.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.