Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - "No One Cares" (1959 LP)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Reading this thread made me put on the sacd of No One Cares. Love the album!!!! Such a smooth, relaxing listen. Sipping some whiskey while listening makes it perfect!!:cool:

aza14782 and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  2. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Very nice exchange of opinions, gentlemen. And Matt you qualify your position well.

I just think that you underestimate the worth of N&E. Maybe it exhibits some vocal fatigue--but nothing quite so dramatic as we hear later on AA, IRT, S&SB, GSFGB, SS and especially Academy Award Winners.

And true, its comprised of songs he previously recorded for Columbia--but now he's recording them with RIDDLE and not Stordahl--and that just takes them to another level of art and sophistication. Plus, the singing conveys a knowing sexuality absent from the earlier versions.

Personally, I wouldn't mark any vocal fatigue worth criticizing until "Take Me" and "Getting Sentimental" on IRT (still terrific performances). All the previous albums, AFAIC, exhibit the classic Capitol Sinatra vocalizing, even the ones on Reprise. They're not as sweet or gentle as the vocals of '53-57, but I don't consider the darker, huskier more muscular vocals of '59-61 to signal a decline, especially including those on N&E.

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

A dry version of Nice n Easy would be great. Does it exist?

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Again....the START. For any other singer, Nice 'n' Easy would be the apex of their recording career. That doesn't mean that, for Sinatra, it does not display a couple of chinks in some still-very-robust-and-amazing armor.
    Do any previous albums exhibit vocal fatigue on the level of Nice 'n' Easy?

Also, if the end of the blue line (a few posts back) is NO ONE CARES, and the start of the green line is NICE 'n EASY (as my posts infer), I'm not sure that I understimate NICE 'n' EASY. Pointing out a flaw is just that: nothing more or less. I really like NICE 'n' EASY....but it's flawed in a very specific way that previous albums were not.

The second CD release (the one with bonus tracks from, what....1991 or so, I think -- NOT the 1998 version with bonus tracks) has a "less wet" mix. There's still reverb on the voice, but whereas the oft-used original stereo mix has (a lot of) mono reverb on the vocal, the CD I reference has stereo reverb on the vocal, which provides a totally different, and drier (but still not "dry") overall feel.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    teag and Bob F like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks Matt. I will look for that version. That reverb really hurts the sound of this album for me.

I agree with your overall assessment of the Capital years and beyond. Beyond is good, but not as good.

6. rangerjohn

I don't think so, but I wouldn't definitively characterize N&E that way--hence the "maybe."

Sinatra allegedly turned to Jenkins as an arranger circa '57 because he thought that such a change would compensate for some creeping deficiency he was perceiving in his vocals (Friedwald). And Kaplan documents serious concerns expressed by FS during the session for "Lonely Town" on WAY? that his voice was not up to snuff. He was apparently satisfied by the results, but he was worried about what he was hearing.

MLutthans likes this.
  7. MLutthans

Well, he certainly wasn't getting younger (said this quickly-aging-and-falling-apart guy), and when your career is (largely) dependent on the health of your voice, any such concern is understandable, eh? I have no doubt that Sinatra was his own worst critic where "the voice" (lower case "v") was concerned, and he probably started to notice things before anybody else would have.

Even as a dumb teenager, though, when I heard the Nice 'n' Easy album for the first time, I thought: Hmmm....that's a little rough in spots. Didn't keep me from playing the heck out of it! "Mam'selle" is right up there with my all-time favorite Sinatra tracks.

Arkoffs, Tom Campbell and rangerjohn like this.
  8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's basically a compilation in all but name, hence the hodgepodge.

Bob F and MLutthans like this.
  9. rangerjohn

Nice choice, Matt. For me, its "How Deep...?" SO many musical ideas being swapped back and forth between him and Riddle in the vocals and the arrangement. They realized how so very far away Berlin's song actually was from the list of mere cliches it appeared to be.

Hey, is this a N&E or NOC thread? My bad!

MLutthans likes this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I basically agree with Matt, re the back and forth. Years ago, I probably wouldn't have, and I believe I even wrote against such a thought years ago here, but with some perspective of years, I've changed. Without muddling things with the singles releases, from WEE SMALL HOURS to NO ONE CARES, Frank's albums are consistently 5 stars. NICE 'N' EASY should rate about 4-4.5 stars, in my opinion. That means fabulous, and ranks it between the first two Sinatra/Capitol albums to my sensibilities.

I have to add, even though many would criticize this kind of thinking, hearing the MoFi hybrid of NO ONE CARES really let me rate the album this high (even though I'm not a big fan of "None But the Lonely Heart", but not enough to down-rate the album). The album finally "spoke" to me with hearing it to really appreciate it's greatness more than I ever had before its release.

aza14782, RogerB and MLutthans like this.
  11. rangerjohn

I love the vocals on NOC, Martin. Some pretty devastating performances there. But I can't get past the arrangements. The most over-wrought and indelicate set of charts that Jenkins ever wrote for FS. Trying to out-do Riddle's OTL was a big mistake, IMHO.

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Can't agree with this.

Jenkins did a fantastic job on No One Cares, Where Are You and September. Three of Sinatra's best albums - and 3 of the best sonically also. IMO, he did out do Nelson Riddle. On all 3 albums. I'll take his work here, and his work with Nat Cole over Nelson Riddle's best, which has become a bit of a myth. To each their own as they say.

13. rangerjohn

I don't mind the arrangements on the other Jenkins-Sinatra albums. Some are quite wonderful.

But NOC is over-kill with the strings. Thick, soupy, syrupy. Two words: "Stormy Weather."

As for Riddle: either Wee Small or OTL rank among the very greatest works of 20th century American art. Nothing that Jenkins did, with FS or with anybody else, rises to those heights.

roda12 and Arkoffs like this.
  14. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I have been listening to the sacd of NOC a lot in the past week . It's growing in stature with me with every listen and I consider it on par with Where
    Are You?!! Both fabulous to these old ears!

I don't possess the knowledge or experience with Sinatra's work that many here have so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I enjoy the arrangements
    that Jenkins provides on this album tremendously! Heck, I even like Stormy Weather! Ha!!

But that's what I love about Frank......we can have differing opinions on things...but it's all good!!

rangerjohn likes this.
  15. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

•Sinatra and Swingin' Brass - Some great Hefti moments; gawdawful sound quality??

Godawful really?Maybe a little too much reverb on Sinatra's voice but it's a great sounding LP, well my UK Original Stereo sounds great.

16. MLutthans

Hi, Pieter,

Please contact me so I can add a clip to the webpage about that album: 1962 - Sinatra and Swingin' Brass »

We have samples from 10 different masterings there, but nothing UK based. Many here would love to see that added.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

In your opinion. Everyone has one.

18. rangerjohn

Point well taken. As Matt was saying regarding N&E, these comparisons are all relative to Sinatra's ridiculously high standards.

I'll take the Columbia "Stormy Weather" and "Why Try to Change," but thank goodness we have every other Sinatra vocal on NOC. (Especially "Rainy Day" and "Just Friends.") Its Capitol Era FS, after all!!!!

RogerB likes this.
  19. rangerjohn

Here's to that. Jenkins versus Riddle: Some people like Tchaikovsky better than Mozart.

RogerB and DLant like this.
  20. teag

teag Forum Resident

True. In fact I do!

rangerjohn likes this.
  21. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

It really is a battle between two giants of music.

RogerB likes this.
  22. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Well, the same can be said of other albums like The World We Knew. And if we look at them as such, should that affect the way we look at a significant chunk of his Reprise Years? Just curious as to what y'all think.
    Excellent post. I guess my argument is this: three of my favorite Sinatra albums came from the early Reprise era: Sinatra & Strings and The Concert Sinatra. That album and the Jobim album and SOMY and most of She Shot Me Down are equal to the works he made at Capitol. So, I don't see a traditional, gradual fall here. There are high peaks and ridiculously low valleys in the Reprise era.

But yeah, 1959 or 1960 is a turning point for him.

I often wonder what would've happened if he'd have just bought Verve. A shame that a guy like Norman Granz wouldn't have gelled with Sinatra.

teag and MLutthans like this.
  23. MLutthans

Yep, we all have our likes and dislikes (of course).

Some people view Only the Lonely as Sinatra's suicide album. I think that title is more applicable to No One Cares, but I also view the two albums as being a "set piece," or a very sad, two-headed monster, for a few reasons:

1. Supposedly, Sinatra originally wanted Jenkins to do Only the Lonely, but Lefty was busy with something else (I forget the details), so Nelson Riddle stepped in and hit it out of the park. (It is arguably Riddle's crowning career achievement where arranging is concerned.) I view No One Cares as Frank going back into the same "narrative space" as OTL, and saying, "In case you missed the point, what I was trying to say was........" and taking things even further.
    2. OTL strikes me as being, by and large, the intimate version of the message, like Frank is singing to himself in a totally empty theatre, quietly, without bluster or grand gesture, talking his way though his own feelings in his own mind for his own benefit to accompany his own booze. No One Cares is Only the Lonely performed as grand, tragic opera, with hugely dramatic, almost melodramatic musical trappings. It even ends with Tchaikovsky, who certainly wrote opera music (although None but the Lonely Heart was not from an opera, but from a collection of songs). If OTL is Sinatra crying alone at the bar, No One Cares is Sinatra in formal dress on stage, dramatically telling the same story with broader, more theatrical strokes. (Sinatra and Strings may have taken this "formality" a step too far a few years later, leading to a certain "stiffness" that is largely avoided on No One Cares.)
    3. Only the Lonely is about being lonely -- it's right there in the the title, even. It's his story ("Each place I go, only the lonely go"), intimately shared. On No One Cares, it's more of a universal presentation. "When no one cares, you just count souvenirs, and they glisten with your tears.....when no one cares but you.") How does No One Cares end? It refers back to where Only the Lonely begins: "None but the lonely heart can know my sadness." That's a very nice bow to wrap up a 2-album, sort-of-running-in-parallel story arc, in my opinion. It also equates a certain level of loneliness to death itself:
    Heaven's boundless arch I see
    Spread out above me
    O what a distance drear to one
    Who loves me....
    My senses fail
    A burning fire
    Devours me
    None but the lonely heart
    Can know my sadness

That's rough stuff, taking the "hurt factor" well beyond anything in Only the Lonely, essentially saying that loneliness is so bad it's like being dead!

4. Only the Lonely has a style that is full of understatement and subtlety. (Subtle, subtle, subtle....everything is subtle on that record. I love it!) No One Cares is more along the lines of, "That curtain is going to open, and we need to grab 'em and hold 'em and speak to their impending doom." (In theatrical sense -- and that sense only -- it's kind of a precursor to The Concert Sinatra.) Ever watch Citizen Kane? You know the big Bernard Herrmann opera number that's all sturm und drang? When I hear that, I hear certain parts of the No One Cares album. (Big....tense....dramatic...grandiose....sweeping...."cooked" almost to the point of being overdone.....)

That's my two cents on the topic.

I've often wondered the same thing. I mean....look at the roster of artists he would have had at his disposal over there! Certainly there was great potential for great music making, and I would have loved to have seen what could have come from those unions. Not to be, though.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  24. MLutthans

....and just in case No One Cares ever needs to be "de-serious-ized" for you, here's a record I grew up with that should clear your palate:

25. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Matt,

That is a brilliant post!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.