Sinatra / Capitol 180g LPs: Wee Small Hours, Come Fly with Me, Come Dance with Me*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by randy9700, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Some general rules for Capitol era Sinatra lovers!

If it's Gray, it's good!
    Logo on side, it is usually good!
    Logo on top, avoid!
    Duophonic or missing songs, avoid!

True Stereo albums are OK in either Side logo or Top logo.

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The re-issues from the late 1970s and early '80s, "Mastered By Capitol", sound very good. Some, but not all, of them have missing tracks or have the tracklists altered from the original albums. It has been my experience that Grey labels and the 9 o'clock Capitol labels are difficult to find in decent shape and scarce (could just be my geographical location), and when you do find them are expensive. (Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped me from purchasing them.) The "Mastered By Capitol" re-issues are actually good value for the money (IMO) and can usually be had for a relatively decent price. I'm at work right now, but tonight will post which "Mastered By Capitol" re-issues are missing tracks and which ones have their tracklists left intact.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I more-or-less concur. My "Mastered by Capitol" Wee Small Hours, while only having 10 of the 16 songs, was on decent vinyl with decent sound. (Maybe not ideal sound, but pretty good.)

4. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

The stereo titles I've heard for those 70s reissues are okay (and mostly intact track-wise), but most of the mono ones I've heard seemed to be sourced from Duophonic tapes. But even if they used the right tapes in a few cases, they're still truncated versions of albums that had no fat to trim.

I agree that good monos (gray labels, 9 o'clock rainbows) are tough to find in good condition. It's hard to find any records from the 50s in good condition. I imagine most of these records got many plays on what would today be considered sub-par equipment. Even when you find one that looks clean there is often significant groove damage. It's what makes collecting Sinatra on vinyl so frustrating. Don't even get me started on the CDs.

5. MLutthans

Some were. My WEE SMALL HOURS is mono, and was part of the series that had the legend: "A Capitol Monophonic Reissue" on the cover.

Matt

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

How true.

7. floweringtoilet

Yeah, that wasn't one of the ones I had. I picked up a bunch for 25 cents each: Songs For Swingin' Lovers and A Swingin' Affair were both definitely duophonic. Come Fly With Me was true stereo, but didn't sound very good either. No One Cares and a couple other later Capitols sounded okay. I didn't realize the mono ones were truncated, or fake stereo until I got them home.

Hopefully Capitol did a good job with these recent reissues and made the job of finding decent sounding, complete, versions of these albums a lot easier.

8. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

If I am understanding correctly: even if they were in true mono, they would still be sourced from the re-equalized dubs from the 1960s. Am I right to assume that the only post-1960 Sinatra releases ever to take advantage of the 'original tapes' are MoFi's 'Only The Lonely' and Larry Walsh's 'The Capitol Years'? If so, it would be interesting if the new release has really been sourced from the masters which have been used for the 10" pressing - or subsequent dubs. Perhaps a first indicator to find this out would be to ask whether the other two albums released in this batch have been sourced from mono masters or the respective stereo re-mixes...

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's even more complicated than that.

10. MLutthans

My ears have opened to new ideas???

I've been a "subscriber" to the idea that the MFSL monos are messed up (which may be the case) and that the grey labels are the only way to go, and that may all be true. However, having done some careful, critical listening today, I think I have some new views on IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS.

In no particular order:

1. At least on the title track, I'm not sure that the MFSL used wrong tapes.
    2. The Capitol mono LP reissue of the late-70s/early-80s, although abridged, has nice sound, and does not sound like it's from re-dubbed, reverbed tapes.
    3. That Disky release from Europe? Don't waste your time.
    4. The 1973 British release has to be a technical error.
    5. Larry Walsh did a GREAT job on the mastering of WSH tracks in the 3-disc "The Capitol Years" set.

But those are my ideas. I'd love to hear yours!

I've posted a page that has comparisons of assorted versions. You can listen at:

http://web.mac.com/mlutthans/iWeb/Site%2022/WeeSmallMastering.html

Matt

PS - My 1991 Walsh CD is not in its case, so I did not include it. Probably at work or something. I'd love to post samples from that and from the Norberg CD. If anybody could send those along, I'll be happy to add them to the samples above, and I would, of course, give you a credit on the page.

11. musicmax

musicmax New Member

"Classic Sinatra II" sounds like it was sourced correctly, as does MoFi's "Nice And Easy".

12. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Good point. "I Get Along Without You Very Well" sounds nice and dry on there, and that's a 2009 release, so maybe this reissue uses the same transfers?

13. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Many thanks for mentioning the releases I've missed in my posting. I guess I'll have to get "Classic Sinatra II" then. The real stunner on that disk is the mono 'Moonlight in Vermont', though.

From what I've read on this forum, 'A Jolly Christmas' and 'Close To You' should be OK? Does this also apply for the CTY bonus tracks on 'The Rare Sinatra'?

The situation for 'Songs For Young Lovers' and 'Swing Easy' should be even worse, because all post-10" pressings have been sourced from altered tapes.

14. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I picked up the 180 gram 'Wee Small...' today.

It's not the Norberg mastering.
    It's mono with no added reverb or stereoizing that I can detect.

However, when folding to mono, the hiss collapses in a bit, as though the tape was played on a stereo machine?

The vinyl has a number of ticks and pops.

I give it a B-.

But further listening may change my intial percerption.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That collapsing hiss wouldn't just be residual vinyl background would it? I know with mono LPs on my rig whenever I fold down the background noise level goes down. You`re basically removing the out of phase feed that's coming from a stereo stylus. Even if it`s not moving vertically, it's still not completely silent.

16. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I don't think so.

But scrolling back it doesn't look like anyone's put up a sample.

I'll have one up within the hour...

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

i sent Matt Graber an email at Capitol. Dont know if ill hear back. Guessing the info i want probably isnt something they just blurt out to anyone. worth a try i guess.

19. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Here's a clip from the new 180 gram 'Wee...'

Rather noisy, I intend to clean it on the Nitty Gritty when I order some replacement velvet pads, until then...

http://www.box.net/shared/enst5oq373

20. floweringtoilet

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

22. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

oh well. thats that. thanks for the clip.

23. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I'm not entirely depressed.:)

For all all I knew, when I was plunking down my 20 bucks today, I was going to get home and find that they had copied the Norberg mastering to vinyl.:hurl:

Yes there is some reverb added that I didn't notice on a cursory listen (my bad.)
    But all in all, apart from the arguments pertaining to the un-futzed mono master as some pop music Rosetta Stone, I think I that this is better than the Walsh CD.
    So, IMO, Capitol has at least mounted one more rung on the sonic ladder with a new full length version of this album (that's just to offer some kind of positive perspective.):)

The noise is another matter, way too much for a brand new new record.:shake:
    Hopefully a cleaning will clear some of it up.

24. serge

serge Forum Resident

the best hope is to keep buying the originals used and hope one is clean..

Just finished listening to King Cole Trio's 10" LP (the first one from 1950)..wonderful sound..

25. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Ah cool if that description is as it seems (and I read it right). Wonder when they returned to actual analog. Should be smiling to read "return of high fidelity" but are you finding it as hard as I am to get excited about that page after the way they've been these past decades?

Yeah. They've owned the rights, they've owned the source material, they've owned the gear all along... geez. :sigh:

Yes that's a good way to look at it. Not what their LPs and CDs should have been all along but as I was hoping, better than their CDs.

Bit of a "too little too late" for a lot of folks though.

What am I missing that I can't hear / grab any audio? I just see your text and the (neat) pic.

Delightful stuff isn't it? :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.