Short Review of Mogami 3104 Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike from NYC, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Forum Resident

This is a coincidence. Was looking at Mogami 3103 online yesterday. Only need 2 x 2m lengths. I’ve very little experience with cabling but do use a Mogami coax from my streamer to DAC.
    My current speaker cables are basic QED 79. Can anyone tell me what difference, if any, moving to the 3103 might make please? Thanks

2. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

A Japanese Seller on EBAY. around $110 shipped, IIRC...

3. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Different brands of interconnects & speaker wire. I just use what fits. Need one 8’, use it. Need one 15’, use it. Different lengths, so what.

4. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

ah I got it. Right on

5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I would like to find some FEP ( Teflon covered) copper wire in bulk.

anyone know of a good reliable source with specs?

cheers

6. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

7. Andre Tromp

Andre Tromp Well-Known Member

I have had the Canare 4s11 speaker wire a few years but now a few weeks the Tellurium Black q 2 speaker wire and the sound is better with more details better bass control plus the treble is better .

8. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Tone? likes this.
  9. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Nah was just eyeballing it . lol.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

Just a man who likes good wire... :D I get it....

Tone? likes this.
  11. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

ha , isn’t it silly?

when I played guitar Brazilian Rosewood was coveted. But mostly impossible to find.
    So today I get an email from stew Mac showing they have Brazilian fretboards and I read it. lol

12. TheVinylAddict

Did you find your next project??? :)

Tone? likes this.
  13. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

not yet.
    I was thinking of asking Belden for wire with FEP insulation ( Teflon) to make my own speaker wire. But it’s expensive and it kinda comes out to what Kimber charges to make their cable. Which is assuring that they aren’t gouging for what they make.
    Their 12tc cable has Teflon insulated strands of copper as well. They use Teflon cause it has more air pockets or something like that to be a better dialectic.

so if I wanted to make a speaker cable like Kimber does it would cost almost as much as what they charge. Using the same materials.

And mine won’t be as pretty. And plus I have cables I love for my speakers and liked more than the Kimber cable I tried. I have no idea why either.

so I have to think of a diff project

14. TheVinylAddict

So after a few days of swapping my the 11ga 3103 out with the <14ga 3082 several times (sometimes multiple times on one LP or CD), I've decided I like the 3103 better. I'm not overly surprised - the 3082 is a 30 ft run, combined with a medium tough to drive load / speakers, and I think it's feeling some of the extra resistance with its <14ga wire.

If I were still running my CW's (which are stored for now), I'm certain the 3082 would be just fine. But I am liking the 3103 better on the tougher to drive BMR Towers, which can get below 4 ohm in the midbass and lower. Of course it's down to subtelties and maybe I'm imagining it :) you know the drill... I'll hang onto the 3082 and try it with the easier to drive CW's at 30 ft run, and <14ga at a later time.

I am going to try one more thing though to meet the original requirement of highest gauge wire in the smallest size cable - I already have some Canare 4s11 I used for my CW's -- but may try Canare 4s8 is 4 x 16ga, and if you tie two conductors together, it makes it ~13 awg. All in a nice, smallish 8mm OD package... probably the best trade off of size, gauge, wire quality and price of any option I've thought of - it's also only $0.75 a foot! Many have done it, and I know I like Canare wire. I'm also tempted to try 10ga Belden 5T00UP, it gives 10ga in a 9mm package, though I already know the Belden can get springy in spots as it's plenum rated and twisted inside the thin jacket --- in other words it doesn't always lay nice and flat!

I liked what the 4s11 did with my CW's, I have a feeling about this 4s8 tied together for 13ga, while still keeping a small 8mm profile, lies really flat, easy to work with.... the 13ga is plenty for the 30ft run too with tougher loads. Already ordered 60ft from Perf Audio to give it a whirl!

Boltman92124 likes this.
  15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Nice. Thanks for the info!! Yeah my Mirages dip below 4 ohms plenty I think. Plus they require some extra bass control/damping I think. They are a bit warm (like all the Mirage SI series). I actually prefer the Transparent Musicwave to the Mogami 3103 for overall sound but it's splitting hairs. In fact, the 3103's are probably going back in this weekend ha ha! Been on a cable swapping thing lately. I can go full front to back Mogami, Transparent, Audioquest or Tributaries. When I make a change it's front to back.

16. TheVinylAddict

If I recall correctly, you only had a 10ft run though... but still, it's hard to argue any about you putting the 3103's back in, :) still my favorite, with Canare 4s11 pretty close.

The 4s8 might be the ticket if you want to try something though, the 3103 is 50% bigger than the 4s8! And 13ga is plenty, even on my 30ft run. I don't mind trying it....

Boltman92124 likes this.
  17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I should still grab some 3082 with the Flex Pins PA has.( I have a vintage Adcom 535 in great shape that needs them).

18. ossicle2brain

ossicle2brain Forum Resident

I'm amazed that there no question at all about the value of cables in this thread. Not even a hint of placebo effect. I'm not sure if that's a sign of progress or not. Were these D.B. A/B tests?

On my Wallmart BOSE system it sounds great with the supplied 22 gauge cables. Why should I upgrade?

I'm sorry....carry on......:D