Short Review of Mogami 3104 Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike from NYC, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I dig Mogami , but am more of a Belden guy myself I think.

ok I’ll say it. I think there is something about tinned copper wire.
    Lol

2. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

It does for sure.
    It’s why professionals use it

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I'm both (Belden and Mogami guy), in addition to the Mogami I mentioned, I have just as much Belden cable around... I love the 1505F for it's flexibility, thin profile, good capacitance, and the 22 awg *stranded* conductor..... I use it exclusively in my shop and secondary systems, and in my main system for two long runs, AVR to linestage for HT bypass, and linestage to sub for a 25' sub run.

I also use Belden LC-1 in TT to SUT and SUT to phono pre applications, and running four TT's, two SUT's and three phono pre's, were talking more than one.... :)

The 1505 at $1.10 a foot and compatible with nearly any connector, its easy to work with, and just an all around great cable. The 1505 was Blue Jeans flagship before the LC-1, and is still offered on the same page as the LC-1 on the Blue Jeans site. I like the smallish 25 awg conductor on the LC-1 for things like TT to SUT, SUT to linestage - that's the secret sauce (that and the larger dielectric) to keeping the capacitance so low at 12pf / ft. Plus you can get LC-1 for $1.44 a foot in bulk....

Belden and Mogami make up the bulk of my cable needs these days, and I am at a point where 100% of my cables across three systems are all home made, sold off all my LC-1 Blue Jeans, WBC 2497's and more.... well, almost, a couple more to go.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    Tone? likes this.
  4. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I loved the LC-1 and tried some other more expensive cable for interconnects and nothing beat them for years.
    Then I tried the Belden 1694a. And it was better. Tighter bass , just more focused.
    I have ZERO clue as to why and especially for a 1 foot cable. Yes you heard that right 1 flippin foot.
    Better velocity of propagation ? I have no clue.

but yeah Belden , Mogami and Canare are all that are really needed.

5. TheVinylAddict

I have a old audio friend who lives in Portland, used to always say "1694a, and call it a day..." when it came to cables, regardless of application.... and he's not wrong. Me, I have three 1694A's installed now as sub cables in two systems, I love the 18ga beefy center conductor, and good for long runs on subs. I used to use 1694a in more places due to it's economy and versatility. I also still use it for digital coax connections too.... maybe partly what you're using it for!

To be honest, 1694a could theoretically work anywhere in my system, I just think it a waste of electron potential :) to send tiny micro volts from a TT to a SUT or phono over a giant 18 awg pipe.... so I'm just economizing and giving the electrons only the number of lanes needed. :D

So these days, I'm more purpose driven, but honestly could get buy in all the different interconnect permutations with one cable........... but you know what, if you asked me to pick one cable if I had to use only one *everywhere* it'd probably be the Mogami 2497 or the Belden 1505F.

Tone? likes this.
  6. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

yeah I use it between my Marantz HD DAC1 and LA4 preamp. That’s it.
    My balanced cable is from benchmark from the DAC3 to my LA4. And that’s Canare star quad.

but yes, the Mogami and Belden you mention plus some Canare are pretty much as good as it gets. And the professional standard. For stuff way more important than sound reproduction. lol

7. TheVinylAddict

My connectors on my home made LC-1, 2497? Canare f09 and f10 respectively. My 4s11 is Canare too for bi-wire....

We think alike... :)

Tone? likes this.
  8. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

You know I have zero qualms with ‘ snake oil’ cables.
    But I don’t buy them because I want to know in some type of flipping metric why they sound better. I mean show me something for me to fork over a bunch more money to you.
    I think that’s fair right?

even furutech. We have blah blah blah copper that makes our cables great.
    Ok dude. I believe you. Now show me something at least which proves that.

jtw likes this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

To that, I'll only say "to each their own"

Me, in all my hobbies, I overspend but it still comes down to economics, spend the big bucks on the gear, don't get caught in the accessory trap and find the "right" sweet spot for the supporting cast, the one where diminishing returns kicks in.... :)

I have other expensive hobbies over the years (astronomy is a good example) where there are many trap doors if you start believing all the marketing. Spend up on what you need to, but let your horse sense (and training) help you sniff out trap doors.

Tone? likes this.
  10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

well I’ve overspent as well, but for looks. Like I spent way more money than I should have on some pretty Audioquest USB cables. But I did so consciously cause they are pretty.

so yeah overspending is fine up to a point for me as well.

11. Jazzfan58

Jazzfan58 Forum Resident

Great company for sure. Even though I’m using expensive cables between my amplification and speakers, I’m using Mogami Platinum Studio w3402 AES/EBU cable with G&H XLR plugs (terminated by Mogami US) with silver pins. Excellent results.

TheVinylAddict and Tone? like this.
  12. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

where does one get the platinum wire in bulk or by the foot?
    Is that even possible? I’ve searched quite a bit for it.

their platinum wire is quite expensive.

13. Jazzfan58

Jazzfan58 Forum Resident

I got mine from Amazon, after a chat with Mogami guy, who told me it’s a customized version based on the W3173. So basically it’s a w3173 with better XLR plugs (in my case ). Try to search for that part number. I’ve never seen the W3402 selling by the foot.

TheVinylAddict and Tone? like this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

One thing for sure about Mogami, just when you think you've seen all the options, a new one you've not heard of yet pops up! :)

bever70 and Jazzfan58 like this.
  15. Jazzfan58

Jazzfan58 Forum Resident

So true!

16. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Aren’t the stock XLR plugs silver plated?

and isn’t the platinum supposed to be the 3402?

cheers

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  17. Jazzfan58

Jazzfan58 Forum Resident

Current Platinum is the 3402, which is a customized version of the 3173. The diagram doesn’t show if there’s a drain wire. I’ve never seen other G&H/Abbatron plugs on them to comment. Mogami’s Neutriks were kinda cheap looking, but I dunno what they were using 5 years ago on their Platinum line. Those G&H plugs remind me of Furutech a bit. BTW, there’s no part number on the cable.

[​IMG]

Tone? likes this.
  18. Cougar

Cougar Forum Resident

I made the switch a few years back to Mogami 3104 speaker with Rhodium Spades. At first they had a slight dark sound to them but after 10 hours started to change and continued on to over 100 hours. These and all the other Mogami interconnects I have changed to Rhodium connectors have really upgraded the SQ of my system. Very transparent with everything sound natural/musical, and for hundreds less than other cables.

Triffid likes this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

Bolts, the Mogami 3082 came in yesterday, I terminated it "naked" just to test it out.... I'll snap some before / after pics soon after the final termination.

But I do like the wire a lot. First, for the application I'm using it for I love that it's half the diameter of 3103. Also love the high strand, OFC copper, it's nice to work with as it's soft / malleable -- plus it means the wire lays fairly flat too. It's not like the 3103 that's dead flat, there's some potential waviness to it with the stranding around the dielectric especially if you bend it hard.... but it's good enough.

I'm listening to Chick Corea "The Montreaux Years" now with it, and there's nothing after listening to the whole CD that I'm finding fault with --- seems all there! I'll listen to more familiar tunes, and report back later with pics and impressions. But the sound was every bit as good as the 3103, not noticing really anything different or missing.

Verdict: worked well for the application targeted - two of my requirements were the small size and workability. No surprise, I've never had a Mogami wire I didn't like to date.... new one added to the arsenal!

Anyone looking for high strand count OFC speaker wire in the 14awg range that's smallish and size and doesn't break the bank, the Mogami 3082 is worth a look.

Triffid and Boltman92124 like this.
  20. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

is rhodium more conductive that copper?

21. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

Early in 2024, i Upgraded to the best Speaker Cabling i've ever had in my 20 years of interest in Hi-Fi,
    Custom, Japanese-made "CABLECRAFT" eight-footers comprised of runs of MOGAMI 3103 with ONKODO brand Banana-Termination.

The Difference in sound quality from the moment i installed them... JAW-DROPPING.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and Bobsblkwax like this.
  22. blakep

blakep Senior Member

No. Considerably less so.

23. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Looks cool. Where did you get them?

24. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Quit chasing cables long ago. Mix and match now.

25. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

mix and match what?