Short Review of Mogami 3104 Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike from NYC, Aug 29, 2023.

1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member Thread Starter

I reviewed this pair of Mogamis against AudioQuest Crystal Hyperlitz Speaker Cable and a set of Frurtech wires of same gauge and construction as the Mogamis.

I've been using the Audioquest wires for years in my system and after seeing some reviews of the Mogami cables I decided to order 18 feet. After installing all the connectors I listened to a few more tunes on the Audioquests and then I removed them and inserted the Mogamis.

On first listen I noticed something was off - too much high end and too little bottom end. But I continued listening. After several hours of break-in I heard a distinct change and everything went back to normal. I never really believed in cable burn-in but I heard it with my own ears. (I should note that my speakers are highly detailed using planar drivers from 300 Hz up. In addition they are bipoles which excel in ambience retrieval. I hear every sound effect and other enhancements done to the recording which helps in hearing the sonic change.)

Compared to the Audioquest cables the Mogamis blew them away in terms of detail and treble response most importantly. I just heard 'more' with the Mogamis.

I reinstalled the Audioquests and damn, my ears didn't lie to me - the Mogamis sounded better.

The Frurutech wires sounded more like the Audioquests than the Mogamis.

For $5 a foot you can't go wrong. See them at performanceaudio.com

2. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Their Interconnect are also very good. Pretty much all I buy now..

Sweetwater also has a great house brand for cables, probably the best bang for the buck at a slightly less price and quality, but value astonishing.

Scratcha and Ingenieur like this.
  3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member Thread Starter

I use Mogami 2549 for my interconnects and they are neutral. There's a reason studios, concerts etc use Mogami for their cabling - the pros knows.

Scratcha likes this.
  4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Nearly all Mogami here. Good choice gentlemen!

Scratcha and bever70 like this.
  5. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Bumping an old thread about Mogami speaker wire -- has anyone out there tried Mogami 3082 for their speakers? https://www.performanceaudio.com/pr...uperflexible-studio-speaker-cable-by-the-foot

It uses the shield as one of the channels, and as a result is very thin for 14ga, plus the 3082 is super flexible and lays well. (two things I"m looking for for my current project - also want to stay with 12 to 14ga).

There are a couple of things to note about this cable, not sure if it's an impact in my situation, but the spec is R = 0.009 ohm /m (per conductor), C = 253pF/m, and L = 0.4µH/m - so it is highish capacitance, lowish induction per the spec.... @Ingenieur what do you think?

EDIT: should add looking for a 30'ft run, with medium tough to drive speakers rated 6 ohm with dips to 4 ohm in midbass and lower, with a 200W amp... so not an easy load, but not tough either and 14 ga min is where I want to stay.

Wondering if anyone has experimented with? Not as popular a choice if you search around, but again some use it, some even swear by it.

I have Mogami 3103 running now in my main room (very good wire), also have tried a few others like Canare 4s11 too. But there's an application I have where I'm trying to keep wire size down, an 3082 can offer 14ga x 2 conductors in a 6mm wire, where the 3103 is twice the thickness at 12mm. There are a couple of other options I'm looking at, like a couple of quality zips to keep size down (Redco, Knuconceptz, etc) but I like the Mogami configuration / size.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    jonwoody, Ingenieur and Boltman92124 like this.
  7. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Looks like 3082 is 15 AWG according to Performance Audio. Although conductor size says 14. Not an issue anyway. $1.20/foot!

I should get a 10 ft pair for my old Adcom amp with the Flex Pins on one side. Run it next to my other cables for easy amp swap! Have them make them.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

Yeah, the skinny is "almost 14ga". I'd prefer 12ga for the run, but I always overkill... 14 ga for 30' should be fine. I may try it anyway... just looking for insights, if any.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I'm gonna order a custom set right now from PA. Ha ha!

10. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Mogami, yes, but Canare is as competent at a 1/3 of the price.

TheVinylAddict and Scratcha like this.
  11. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

That should be fine. You will have some linear attenuation of ~-4.5 dB from 1 kHz to 20 kHz.
    only -1.3 dB at 10 kHz

I would not use coax for speakers in most cases but this cable the conductor R = Shield R, same gauge

12. TheVinylAddict

I've had 60ft in the cart for a couple of weeks :) I'll probably just order, there were a couple of other things still deciding on too.... :) Glad I could bring something to your attention that hits the mark!
    Thanks, that and the fact there are many who've tried it before me :), appreciate the look.

Ingenieur and Boltman92124 like this.
  13. Triffid

Triffid Forum Resident

All Mogami here. 2803 for ICs and 2804 for speakers. Both with low mass top of the range KLE connectors. I like them a lot, after messing with wires for decades.

14. TheVinylAddict

I still haven't purchased, if you pulled the trigger, let me know what you think of it. I'm half consider just getting a 12ga OFC high strand zip to keep size/profile down... then again, I run a lot of Mogami currently (2497, 2549, 2964. 3103) and love every one of them...

The only hesitation I have is it being just under 14ga, I'm pushing a medium tough load over 30', and I always have better peace of mind when I overkill that with 12ga. But it should be fine, I just have to get over my "overkill speaker wire" mindset I've always had!

Anyway, let me know your thoughts - especially does it lay flat easily? One thing about the Mogami 3103, it lays perfectly flat.... part of that reason is it's as thick as a hot dog, and weighs a ton!

Boltman92124 likes this.
  15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I was busy rearranging my racks yesterday. I'll order a 10 foot pair soon. The flex pins/matching bananas are pricey $7 each.

16. TheVinylAddict

Yeah that is pricey, suddenly your $10 cable is $70! :)

To heck with it, I'm going to order today and try it... maybe I'll beat you to impressions!

17. TheVinylAddict

Just ordered 60ft of 3082.... along with some Techflex PET to help with wire management of some RCA cable runs that I need.... usually takes 3-4 days so I'll have it by end of week for sure.... looking forward to trying the 3082..

18. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I'm thinking about ordering 3104 speaker cable (bi wire 4x4mm) or 2921 (bi wire 4x2.5mm)...
    Anyone have more experience with both?

Boltman92124 likes this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

No but 3104 is as thick as a hot dog... but I'm sure you're aware! Nice wire though, been running 3103 for years...... but honestly when I pull out the bi-wire ready for some hookups, it's pre-made 4s11, partly because of said size of the 3104.

I have a long run however, I could see with shorter runs it might not matter. But I didn't want two 30' hot dogs, with a partial exposed run.

Tone? and bever70 like this.
  20. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I like hot dogs ;). I only need 2x3mtr (2x10ft)...but yeah, gonna compare the specs of both and see if they are mostly the same apart from thickness...

21. TheVinylAddict

I love the high strand count of the 3103 and 3104.... and pushing toward 11ga... then it lays dead flat... the 3103 is probably my favorite speaker wire to date.

bever70 and Boltman92124 like this.
  22. attym

attym Forum Resident

My system had Clear Day Double Shotgun silver speaker cable. I highly endorse it. However, a move and a new speaker location required in-wall cable. I went with 20ft runs of the 3103 and it sounds great. I never A/B’d with the Clear Day but it sounds great. I’m a Mogami believer.

bever70 likes this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

In many cases, Mogami combines top notch build, quality of components, and good specs for a price, especially in bulk, in many cases that's hard to beat. And many times provides that veritable sweet spot where diminishing returns can kick in if spending more. IMHO.

Tone? likes this.
  24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Here's my 3103 with the Techflex jackets and pants/straps etc..It's a little stiffer with Techflex. Plus I have some bulk for making jumpers etc.. $130 for 10 ft pair all dressed up with the options. I thought it was a good value.
    [​IMG]

bever70 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

Here's a couple photos I shared of my 3103's recently after putting the (overpriced) connectors on from Perf Audio...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]