SHM material warning

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

2. Sorry about that loss, that would break my heart and make me really mad.

I will be extremenly careful with all SHM-SACD's and SHM-CD's, and thank you for your warning of others.

I think if you contact the place you purchased the disc and/or the manufacturer and send them a picture, you should be able to get a replacement disc for it. Good luck!

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

I did contact CDJapan, we'll see what happens.

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

In that case, it's a shame she doesn't take better care of them.

You'll never get a lecture on snake oil from me.

5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I don't think that it takes much to properly handle a disc, but I have seen the way others handle them. They'll never touch one of mine.

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Agreed! I have always taken care of my CDs. It's not that hard.

7. Tullman

Well, not everyone is so worried about the condition of their cds. My wife is a free spirit. Her cds get plenty of good use after all that is what they are for.
    She often is cooking and doing other kitchen chores while listening to and switching cds. They get tossed to the side and stacked up. When they skip, it is my job to remedy the problem. Usually, mild soap and warm water does the trick. It case of scratches the mapleshade polish works wonders. My wife's cds are a library not a collection.

8. audiomixer

I'm glad mine's not a "free spirit" with the collection. :rolleyes:

9. Tullman

It's her collection, not mine. I make copies for her if she wants to borrow cds from my colletion. Free spirit also means if I bring home CAT monoblocks she never asks how much, she doesn't care.

10. audiomixer

...neither does mine. :D

11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

12. Tullman

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I totally agree with this. I was certainly not trying to imply that you shouldn't have done the cleaning or that you deserved to have that disc break.
    To each his own. I just don't do it myself.

14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I am sorry to hear this happened. I've got 3 of these but given the price/marginal improvement (imo)/ and now this issue with the discs being so fragile, I am seriously reconsidering any further purchases. Thank you for informing/warning the forum.

Ruben

15. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

Get her an iPod boombox thingy...no more mangled CDs. :righton:

16. ChrisBWFC

ChrisBWFC Forum Resident

Good luck with CDJapan Tullman. I'm gutted for you. WOF is my favourite of the three I own.

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Thats a tragic picture.:shake:

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

:eek:

I hope you are able to get a replacement copy from CD Japan. Did you send them that picture?

19. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Man, this is horrible. I recently bought the Who's Next SHM-SACD from eBay and been handling it as carefully as all my other discs. Now I'm probably gonna treat it with 110% paranoia.
    I guess I won't be buying any other of these until there some sort of conclusion if this was a one in a million case or if these things are just not reliable.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am going to buy the ones I want. I have only broken one CD in my life, and it was taking it off of one of those crazy tight digipak spindles. A "friend" snapped another one of my CD's because he thought that it would be OK to put the disk in his back pocket. These SHM-SACD discs don't come in jewel cases. They come in inner sleeves. I cannot conceive of a situation where I would bend the disk.

21. I treat all my discs with a lot of care, I am just very "anal" about that. I don't like fingerprints or scratches or anything like that.

If a disc is very expensive, I am being even more careful. When I handle the SHM-SACD's I have found a way to take them out of the package very carefully. It is a little cumbersome with carefully removing the resealable sleeve, taking out the cardboard packaging without the sticky part of the plastic sleeve getting in contact with the sleeve/OBI, getting the white inner cardboard out without any damage, then replacing the disc in the white sleeve, making sure the inner plastic rice paper sleeve is opened correctly, etc. - you get the idea.

I was thinking about putting these SHM-SACD's in regular jewel cases for easier access, but now I am afraid that they can't take the load from a jewel case spindle, and I certainly won't be doing that.

It really is a design flaw if that material is that fragile. I think I have broken one CD in my life, and it was an accident. The CD fell down on the tile floor. It wasn't a real precious CD and it was an inferior mastering anyhow, so the loss was not big.

22. I've never broken a regular CD or SACD unless I purposely destroyed one, like the Van Halen 1984 remaster.

Glad I stick with normal CD's and SACD's that don't need to be handled with the same care normally reserved for Ming vases.

23. Tullman

Yes, I sent the picture.

24. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I fear this is just the beginning of future problems with these discs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.