Season 3 - Arrested Development

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 4_everyman, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I had to miss the season premiere. Normally I wouldn't want to read about something I haven't seen, but not this time. This show rules even in print! I'm laughing my butt off!

2. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Insanely funny last night. Just keeps getting better.

Gotta watch out for that Itsy Bitsy IRA. They apparently haven't laid down all their weapons. Those Poppins are dangerous. :)

Jeff

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

for a moment I was wondering if they aired the wrong episode. that "peviously on" tag had a LOT of stuff that wasn't in 3.1.

glad Opie made it clear that they WEREN'T making fun of Andy Griffith. :laugh:

"in prison you gotta lie there and take it. here, I have to lie there and give it." :laugh:

loved the chicken impersonations.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I seriously doubt anything will make me laugh any harder this week than the non-career-ending Donald Rumsfeld photo from 1983 or the Harry Hamlin cameo from last night's episode, but My Name is Earl might have an outside chance. :)

Regards,

5. sbroache

sbroache Forum Resident

Was Harry the TV? I did not recognize him.

When Todias says "You might say I'm a little buy-curious" made me spit my drink out!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Harry Hamlin, formerly of "LA Law", was the celebrity lawyer consultant for the prosecution who was happy with his trailer, unlike Andy Griffith, formerly of "Matlock" and assuredly not being made fun of, for the defense.

Regards,

7. Jason Brown

How about Buster having to put his rubber hand through another (and stronger) cycle in the dishwasher?

BWAAAHAHAAA!

8. Ken_McAlinden

While you were spitting your drink, you may have missed his follow-up line which was "I have a big T.V. opportunity". ;)

Regards,

9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I caught that one. I was in stitches, to coin a phrase.
    :agree: :laugh: :biglaugh:

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

"that's a girl's wig" - "they said it was a Bob" :laugh:

11. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

Favorite quotes:

"More touching!"

"The Volvo didn’t have satellite radio, which is crazy. I mean, what are we, Amish?"

"Boy, that’s an awful lot of money for the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard."

“Ms. Poppuns is an original creation of Wee Britain and is in no way meant to invoke the character of the popular novel, musical or stage show ‘Mary Poppins’. Our Ms. Poppuns has neither the trade-markable qualities of being a nanny nor the power of flight, but instead is a cleaning woman who transports herself with the aid of a guide wire and a sturdy cane as she fights the likes of Jack the Ripper every weekday at quarter past and half after every odd Greenwich mean hour.”

12. Christopher J

Also:

"Oh, I can just taste those meaty leading man parts in my mouth."

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought that was the only bad episode of Arrested Development so far. What the heck was all that Wee Britain stuff? And Charlize Theron couldn't have been less funny or interesting (not to mention how terrible her accent was, although this may turn out to be part of the plot).

14. Ken_McAlinden

If you have it recorded, watch it again. Then once more. It gets better each time. They crammed even more funny stuff into this episode than normal, but the pace was kinda insane. You begin to appreciate things like the design of the traffic signs going into and out of "wee Britain" and Michael's reference to the log-cabin car as "more like a Lincoln", let alone the stuff that was funny at first glance like Buster re-running his hand through the dishwasher on the "Pots and Pans" cycle. Yeah, I know Jason already mentioned that one, but it was funny enough to mention twice. :)

Regards,

15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'll explain the joke:

In many parts of the country they have Vietnamese areas in town they call Little Saigon.

Britts sometimes use different words than Yanks do. One such word is Wee. Wee means little.

So instead of Little Britain they called it Wee Britain. Wee Britain instead of Great Brittan.

Obviously no are of any town would be called Wee Brittan. It's ridiculous. It's funny because it's a conceit.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't need the word "wee" explained, thanks. I just thought the whole sequence was idiotic -- Americans just shouldn't embarrass themselves by trying to make fun of the British. It was way too broad for AD -- it was like Mike Myers wrote it. The rest of the episode was ok though.

17. Jason Brown

I may be missing the point, but I saw a Canadian and a South African making fun of the British. And isn't embarrassment one of the main ingredients of the show?

18. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual Thread Starter

I watched episode #2 last night. Even though i read all the postings about this week's episode, i still laughed myself silly...and then watched it again.

Tobias has to be the strangest character i have ever seen. The housekeeper's reaction to his hair transplant was priceless. :laugh:

19. Ken_McAlinden

I saw it as Americans making fun of American stereotypes about the British, but YMMV. No actual British persons, or, I assure you, Andy Griffith, were ridiculed in the making of this episode. :)

Regards,

20. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Did I also mention that "Wee" is the Euro version of the America "Pee"?

21. Ken_McAlinden

Good gravy! I still can't stop laughing about Tobias' business card. :)

Regards,

22. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

That was absolutely hysterical.

'Tobias just analrupped me'. (spelling changed for obvious reasons)

:biglaugh:

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

"hey! that's the name of the show!" :laugh:

wee br**ain! :laugh:

roofies, roofies and more roofies! :laugh:

how is this not the most popular sitcom since 'Friends'? if (when?) this gets cancelled, I'm a-gonna be cranky.

24. Christopher J

"It’s a mainstay of the magician’s toolkit, like how clowns always have a rag soaked in ether."

"I won’t forget this... Dad."
    "I will...I will."

Nice to see Marta again (version 3.0). :)

One more episode before MLB pre-empts the show, right? :( At least we'll have the 2nd season DVDs by then.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Nope. That's it until baseball is over, I'm afraid. At least I hope so, I'm even more afraid. Getting beat in the ratings by "the WB" is not a great way to ensure your show's return, unfortunately.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.