Saw the original STAR WARS projected in 70mm mag last night. Wow, it really rocked!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Alright Steve!!!

100% analogue??

Excellent.. Im happy for ya buddy!!

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

You realize that that last night Steve was referring to was in 2008 when this thread started.

JediJones, timind and longdist01 like this.
  3. team_negative1

team_negative1 Member

We have held screenings of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back 35mm on the east coast, in the last 3 years.

We plan to hold screenings of Star Wars and possibly the whole trilogy this year, in the southwest.

Team Negative1

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yup I did realise it buddy thank you!!!!

Good for you Team Negative 1!! (Dont be afraid of analog ... SHE IS BEAUTIFUL IN EVERY WAY)

5. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I assume the versions you are screening are the untampered 77 and 80 original versions.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

One of the greatest most memorable movie going experiences of my life was seeing Star Wars in 70 mm at the wonderful Coronet Theater in SF on initial release. Absolutely fantastic. Saw again a couple of months later in wide release at a neighborhood theater in 35mm. Absolutely no comparison.

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

So how many 70mm blow ups of Star wars are still available? Could someone like AFI in Silver Spring MD rent one and play it if they wanted to?

JediJones likes this.
  8. team_negative1

team_negative1 Member

Yes, the point was to show the originals. The last public showing of Star Wars (Original) prior to us, was at the Senator Theater, the other 2 have not been shown.

Here are details about our Star Wars screening:
    http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Pr...s-1977-35mm-spanish-LPP-USA-oct-2012/id/14719

Here are details about our Empire Strikes Back (DCP) screening:
    http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Pr...k-1980-35MM-East-Coast-USA-Sept-2013/id/15949

Team Negative1

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Where will you screen?

10. EddieVanHalen

¿Have you ever screened the Original Trilogy in Spanish (beware, true, real Castillian from Spain, not that Spanish-wanna-be they speak in Latin America)? I use to despise dubbings, but I think the original Spanish dubbing is excellent, Constantino Romero (RIP) played a PERFECT Darth Vader, as well as the rest of the dubbing cast. A pitty sound quality of the original Spanish voices leaves much to be desired.

11. team_negative1

team_negative1 Member

The screening will be in Southwest USA, there may be some on the East Coast also,

We have not screened anything in Spanish, although the print of Star Wars we have is Spanish (except for the original Crawl spliced in, and Han shoots Greedo).

We have transferred the Spanish soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  12. EddieVanHalen

I'm sorry to tell you but the sample con your video is not in REAL SPANISH but in Latin American Spanish that makes muy ears ring just listenning to it. Get the REAL Spanish audio track from the gout DVD por even better, the 1995 Spanish Laser Discs, which I have.

13. team_negative1

team_negative1 Member

Ok, thanks for that. However, that sound is from the actual film, which was probably from (1983), which is what we are preserving.

Team Negative1

JediJones likes this.
  14. team_negative1

team_negative1 Member

We are hearing about other possible screenings of Star Wars. There will be a private one later in February on the West Coast USA, but not from us. It will be hosted in a theater, sorry we are not able to give out details.

There will be some discussion afterwards, and some reports on it. Also, we will be providing more information to some media outlets about it.

Team Negative1

JediJones likes this.
  15. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Senior Member

I popped into the Disney Store here in London and as per usual they were playing music from the saga. Thing is the disco flavoured track Lapti Nek came on. This was in the original Return Of The Jedi played by Jabba The Hutts band but like other things got the chop in the 1997 Special Edition and replaced by the excreable Jedi Rocks. Lapti Nek is only available on the 1993 4 CD Anthology boxset and the original CD release of 'Jedi'. So why are Disney playing this and not Jedi Rocks? Could it be that they are secretly dropping hints about releasing the unaltered Original Trilogy on blu ray for the 40th anniversary of the 1977 film?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    JediJones likes this.
  16. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

The only way Disney would be able to release the original 1977 Star Wars on blu-ray would be to strike a deal with 20th Century Fox, which owns the distribution rights now and forever. And Disney won't be able to release any of the other original trilogy movies in any form until 2020 at the earliest. Fox locked in the rights until then.

I do hope Disney releases the original cuts on blu-ray with remastered video and audio. I imagine they will try to strike a deal with Fox, because otherwise, they can never release a complete original trilogy set.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Rant bumped.

JediJones and tvnut like this.
  18. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I just have a feeling that Disney will put out official copies of the original cuts for the 50th anniversary of Star Wars in 2027. Disney's entertainment division troubles mean that safe bets are the order of the day. And they also can't really afford to leave anything on the table that has the potential to make money. Any marketing division worth its salt could tell them that celebrating the 50th anniversary with the restored original cuts would get huge media attention and be totally embraced by fans. They would do big numbers as theatrical reissues, home media discs and streaming releases. And even if their company is in a better position three years from now, the decision to restore the original cuts for the 50th probably has to be made pretty soon.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A big theatrical release of Star Wars might be the most intelligent thing that Disney has done in years. Home media six months later. No streaming!

Repeat on the anniversary of each of the original movies...

JediJones likes this.
  20. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

The Academy screened a 70mm print back in 2022 at the Museum—1983 print on LPP stock—It broke once in reel 3, and there was a huge tear when the Death Star blows up (repaired), but it looked and sounded great. My 10 year old son loved it!

JediJones and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It is going on a half century. There is a whole new audience that would enjoy seeing the original SW in the theater.

Certainly better then the current crop. Do it like it is an original premiere, not like it is recycled.

JediJones likes this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Well, they're sticking the prequels back in theatres this year, so there's that... :D

23. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Accoridng to JJ Abrams, Disney is unable to release the originals for reasons that remain unclear. (I personally can only think of one workable reason, which is that their purchase agreement with Lucas prevents them from doing so.) Here’s what Abrams had to say in 2019:

Star Wars' original versions of the first trilogy will never be released again

mBen989 likes this.
  24. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

So far as I’ve heard, just Episode I—it’s the 25th anniversary.

JediJones and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Well yeah, but as far as I know the originals got 40th anniversary showings so I expect the same for the 25th of all three prequel films.

SandAndGlass likes this.