Saw the original STAR WARS projected in 70mm mag last night. Wow, it really rocked!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 21, 2008.

1. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

This is the same thing...but in reverse. (from the link posted in this thread)

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Steve-
    Sorry man. Maybe being an audio and video genius has its drawbacks....because the dummy "me" likes Star Wars everytime I see it. I don't have any of the complaints you listed.

4. See, see I’ve been telling everyone George Lucas has been hiding those prints underneath his bed, no wonder he doesn’t want to share with the other children. :D

Yes by all means clean the print and transfer the original six-track Dolby stereo A type to high resolution for DVD that would sale like mega hot-cakes!:righton: :edthumbs:

It’s the first Dolby stereo print to use (baby boom) or format 42 where the projectionist well look at the print, see what soundtrack type it is and select the appropriate settings on the early Dolby CP-100 or the still in use to day Dolby CP-200.

Quote from Wikpedia

High Definition edition
    It has been widely rumoured that Lucasfilm plans on re-releasing the entire 6-movie Saga on Blu-ray Disc in one set with many new features and new final changes[citation needed]. However, John Singh, spokesperson for Lucasfilm Ltd, has denied there are any plans. He was quoted as saying "Lucasfilm Ltd. has no plans to release any of the Star Wars movies on Blu-ray. Listings on Amazon.com or any other Web site are purely speculative and erroneous. "[6]

Oh, no not a seventh Dolby re-mix, now where did I put the rope, goodbye crawl world.:(

Here is a youtube video that mentions a brief bit about the origins of the Star Wars 1977 realise print.

The birth of Dolby 5.1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0baFYLrPcWU

5. Frumious B

Frumious B Active Member

From what I can gather Lucas pretty much hates the original theatrical cuts and wants to bury them. It was all they could do just to get him to agree to put them out as bonus discs from the transfers they did for the laser discs. I wouldn't hold out hope for any kind of decent digital release of the theatrical cuts as long as Lucas is alive.

6. Oh bugger Lucas he’s had my £500.00 or so pounds over the years if it wasn’t for us the fans there wouldn’t be an Empire like he has today I feel he should owe us the flashback for those who heard that original 70mm realise despite the differences between the monaural and Dolby Stereo optical 35mm versions I feel he owes us that, sure its his film but he wouldn’t be sitting at Skywalker Ranch right if it weren’t for the fans.

I tell you mate which version of Blade Runner I watch! The 1982 version because the cinema at the time ABC Bournemouth only had a 35mm Dolby stereo A type to show and over the years I’ve always wanted to hear the original six-track mix and Ridley can take that unicorn and stuff its head on wall Deckard is Human LOL:laugh:

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I wonder if there is a list of which cities showed the 70mm. I saw it in Phoenix at the Cine Capri which was the nicest theater in town and it was a very nice theater indeed they had 70mm capibilities and were the ONLY theater in the area to have the movie for I believe over a year. My guess is that is was a 70mm print but I don't know. Kind of make me wonder if it was.

8. Right here!

[​IMG]

Here is a cool bit of information relating back to the famous Mann’s Chinese theatre
    http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/star_wars_a_day_long_remembered.htm

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/star_wars_70mm_engagements.htm

http://cinematreasures.org/print/16528_0_1_0/

9. floyd

floyd Senior Member

thanks Logan5
    I just looked it up the Cine Capri had the 35mm for the first 4 months then got the 70mm in Sept. I must have saw the 70mm because I went later with a school friend during the school year.
    cool site

10. Well I’m you’re man for looking this stuff up and I’m sure there a few more here but I guess there off-line at the present time.

11. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't know what could possibly be done with the "updated" versions of the films in terms of looking as good as the best possible presentation of the "original" versions of the films.

But here are some interesting comments about what *could* have been done with the 2006 DVD versions of the "original" versions of the films rather than simply having the sub-par Laserdisc transfers. See "5/19/06" near the bottom of the page. Included as well near the bottom of this page are some comments from film archivist Robert A. Harris:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa121.html

12. There is a Star Wars forum that I joined two years ago about two and they just love the original, well we all do, don’t we?
    http://www.originaltrilogy.com/forum/index.cfm

I’ll have to check my Yahoo mail because I keep getting updates on one of the threads and the last time I had 400 emails!:shake:

13. I thought the site was still knackered-up well the forum site is done-in after some joker hacked the site last year.:D :shh:

14. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

As I recall, the media articles discussing the restorations done for the SE versions mentioned that all the optical effect shots had to be replaced as the original negative had faded very badly. The original negative was recut with recreated opticals etc. Therefore, the original negatives used to print the films in their original release are gone. I suspect there are still dupe negatives of some kind that could be used for making new prints or new video transfers, but I don't know that for a fact.

Derek

15. I’ve seen that documentary on the Star Wars laserdisc 1997 side 9, and I don’t buy it for one moment, he’s using the force on our minds to trick us into believing what we want to see otherwise he’d have those films looked after each year.

16. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Classic stuff.
    The special edition and the "super special" edition sucked big time. :(
    I didn't watch the movie back in 1977, but I'm happy to be able to see it on its original form on DVD (I'm sure Lucas reckoned his Special Editions' fiasco!).

17. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Those are two movies I always make a point of seeing when they are shown in 70mm.

I remember thinking back in '77 that it was a pity Star Wars was only shown in 35mm because I'd recently seen 2001 in 70mm and it had rocked my world. If only I could have known Star Wars really was available in 70mm too!

I'm envious that you got the chance to see this classic movie in such an awesome fashion, Steve... Still, it's great to know that it's out there. :thumbsup:

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

...will we ever see another new noteworthy film in 70mm? Or ANY film, for that matter.

19. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I think Mel Gibson's Hamlet was the last one.

20. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I was also lucky enough to see Star Wars in 70mm 6 track stereo at the Coronet Theater in San Francisco. At the time it opened it was one of the few places in the entire country you could see the film that way. Most movie theaters weren't equipped to run films in that format. When the film opened only eight theaters in the entire country were playing it in 70mm. Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York were the only markets at first. It was and still is one of the great movie going experiences of my life. It would be hard to believe that Lucasfilm wouldn't have a copy of this print stored in their archives. Hopefully with the relatively lukewarm(no pun intended:D) reception that the special edition box set and 2-disc DVD packages received, that we'll finally get anamorphic widescreen transfers of the original trilogy in their original form. One day hopefully.:sigh:

21. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Is the Laserdisc the best version of the original out there?

22. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

The limited edition DVDs that came out in 2006, have the "original" versions as bonus features, which are the 1993 laserdisc masters. I would imagine that the video is identical - non-anamorphic letterboxed 4:3. Also, Star Wars has the original 1977 opening crawl, without the "Episode IV". (Seems to me if they unearthed that, doing a new anamorphic transfer would be possible)
    The LDs probably have PCM sound, though.

Now I'm curious - can someone who has the LDs comment?