SACDs I don't love. Or like. Or enjoy. Or even look at!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Wasn't sure if it could be done in DSD, or had to bounce to PCM. Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: SACDs I don't love. Or like. Or enjoy. Or even look at!

Yes that's right. It won among a list of nominated albums that included "The Nightfly", "American Fool", "Love Over Gold", and "Eye In The Sky". I haven't heard the SACD of Toto IV, but I still think the original LP still sounds better than any version on CD.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Re: Re: Re: Re: SACDs I don't love. Or like. Or enjoy. Or even look at!

See, that's interesting to me. The LP was cut with a tape copy called an EQ'd cutting master. I have not heard the LP in years, but it's possible that the transfer engineer improved on the sound by doing some good mastering for a change. This of course would be missing from the wonkier sounding original mix tape that was used for the SACD. Proof that engineers "back then" did have a clue.

4. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SACDs I don't love. Or like. Or enjoy. Or even look at!

It's worth listening to an original vinyl copy of this album again for comparison. It's not perfect, that album was always a little bass shy, but to my ears the mid range and high end is pretty pleasing. I don't have the record in front of me, but didn't Doug Sax master that album originally?

5. Ben

Ben New Member

ROTFLMAO!

Ben

6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

YEAH!!! See quote...hee, hee!!!;)

7. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

Hmm.... the SACDs I have heard have been outstanding - Patricia Barbers Modern Cool & Cafe Blue, the Stones etc. As a matter of fact, it is the only digital format I can listen to for more than 10 minutes before losing interest. To my ears, SACD is the closest thing to vinyl.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

My latest SACD purchase, The Thorns, is great musically, but the sound is not what I expected. I was hoping for a lush, warm sound and instead got that Brenden O'Brien harsh grating sound that I remember hating on those STP records he did. How can a new recording sound so brittle and cold compared to something like Dylan's Slow Train Coming, done over 25 years ago?????? Where is the progress?????

9. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Anyone have a vinyl copy of Toto IV to confirm who originally mastered the LP?

10. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

It's TML so it's Doug Sax. I believe it's in the LP credits. I have a US TML, a Canadian, and a Japanese. The US TML sounds like the SACD (to my ears) but the Japanese is no slouch either. Canadian is slightly warmer in the top/fuller down below, which is not a bad thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.