SACDs going Out Of Print: master list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done!

2 words.....buy it!

2. I found Billy Joel's "The Stranger" and "52nd Street" at the local Tower Records today -- I decided to grab them both, even at the $18.99 list price, since these seem to be getting hard to find. I found them in the CD section.

Tower just emptied out their SACD/DVD-Audio racks back in the Classical/Jazz room, and apparently integrated everything in with the CDs.

Another nail in the coffin. :sigh:

3. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

A Coconuts store in NJ, who champions SACD/DVD-A I might add, has been instructed by his home office to remove the section and integrate the titles in with the rest of the CDs.

4. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Making SACD titles single inventory hybrids and removing the 'audiophile' stigma from them is the right way to go, and should have been done from the beginning.

5. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Both the Tower and Coconuts locations in downtown Chicago have recently removed their SACD/DVD-A sections (sad little sections that they were) and mixed in those discs with the regular CDs.

6. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Oooh no ! I think I will check out a couple Tower locations this week and see if they have done the same in these parts as well. Last time I visited the San Diego store about 2 weeks ago they still had the Hi-Rez section intact. Tower has been a good source for me as they have a good stock of titles yet , their prices of course are never very good but I find things there that other retailers do not have anymore.

7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Yeah, I was surprised to see it gone at Tower, though I shouldn't have been. At this Tower, the SACD/DVD-A section was located at the far back wall in classical/jazz on the third floor. The chances of anyone buying these discs HAVE to be greater if they're filed in with everything else as opposed to being pushed off to some remote spot in the store.

8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Is the JPN Santana "Caravanserai" SACD (w/ OBI) OOP?

9. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I think you can still order it from online dealers. Amazon Japan lists this as deliverable within 2-3 days, which usually means they have it in stock.

10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

11. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

12. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Very true. However, a few years ago I bought a guy's collection, and out of a good mix of jazz and heavy metal were about 30 classical albums. I was able to put it on eBay and sell it. I sold low and got a bit more than I expected, so like any format and genre, you still have your devotees.

13. glimmersingle

glimmersingle Forum Resident

SACD´s, who wants to swap ?

:help: Several titles have been planned to release but weren´t. :cry: Among those are "ROCKS" by Aerosmith and "Standing on ..." by Oasis. If you check google with "SADE SACD" you will find this title as a part of a library somewhere in U.K., so it exists. Another Titel which I am searching is "Conspiracy of One" by "The Offspring". Anyone of you who has got copies of SADE or OFFSPRING may contact me. Also, I try to build a list of those SONY single layer discs. Infos are welcome. Regards from germany, Frank :edthumbs: ([email protected])

14. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Anything but subtle to me, I hear an enormous difference, night and day really.

15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

16. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Re: OOP. OK, now it's official!

17. Jamie, I just received mine today from Overstock.com.

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Found them all. Got the singles set from there. :)

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Am I wrong in assuming that most SACD titles are only produced in one single production run? Once that production run is done, that's it.

If that's true, then most early SACDs, no matter on what label, is going out of print.

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I noticed that also in the Washington DC area here too at three different Tower locations. I think they did it to make room for the Holiday music bins, but I suspect that after XMAS, they will just let those separate audiophile sections die a natural death.

21. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

If anyone's interested, all the older Sony SACDs like "Blow By Blow" that list for $18.99 at Best Buy actually ring up at $14.99.

I finally picked up "Blow By Blow" to hear the original quad mix. Just like the Sony "Kind Of Blue" SACD, though, the bass seems to be a bit lacking as compared to other CDs. The mix is great, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.